hey all!
    im a brand new crackberry user so im sorry if youve already answered the questions im about to ask a million times, i have had a look but cant seem to find exactly what im looking for!

i revieved a playbook for xmas, and ever since ive been scrolling through the app store looking for decent apps and browsing the internet loiking at reviews and news feeds.

i have to say, i am soooo dissapointed with the lack off effort RIM seems to have put into the playbook, i have read about this new android app player that is being discussed all iver the internet...but, is it going to happen and when? or do we have no idea whatsoever?

ive never know something to be released with such a lack of apps/facilities...i have always used an ipod touch for apps as im a hairdresser and i like to use electronic diaries and booking systems for my appointments, apple have about 50 different ones of different costs and abilities, blackberry has 1 which is free to download but you have to pay monthly to use it....but there are about 10 piano apps...i dont think the priorities are right there somehow.

all he finance apps seem ti be american too without a function to change currency, k know its only a symbol, but if youre going to sell it in england, atleast put apps with a pound symbol on it!

dont even get me started on the lack of spell check! the oldest mobile phones have spell checkerss, so why shouldnt this if it costs �300+

sorry about the rant guys!
    01-02-12 03:10 PM
    february is when we hope to see major improvements and updates for the playbook.
    I think rim dropped the ball by thinking they could have updates available sooner than what has actually happened.
    It is a brand new opperating system and rim is having a tough time with the learning curve.
    01-02-12 03:14 PM
    february is when we hope to see major improvements and updates for the playbook.
    I think rim dropped the ball by thinking they could have updates available sooner than what has actually happened.
    It is a brand new opperating system and rim is having a tough time with the learning curve.
    thanks for your reply!

i understand its a brand new system, but its still annoying that people have spent money on them for the last 6 months (i think thats how long theyve been on the market for) and they still arent worth the money, and have been decreasing in price since they were released, even mine is available �50 cheaper since it was purchased 2 weeks ago and i still have to wait a couple more months until i can hopefully use it effectively!
    if it isnt significantly improved but february, i will have to consider switching to the ipad...
    do we know anything about the android app player then?
    01-02-12 03:25 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry! Too bad you received the PB as a gift since you are so disappointed with it. Can you not ask the Giver if you can take it back and put the money towards an iPad?

Failing that perhaps you should read through the very helpful sticky above called Tips and Tricks? You might find some things that the PB does without the need for an app that will surprise and delight you.

It's too bad that you don't have a Blackberry phone since the Blackberry Bridge is brilliant for things like appointments. You can create an entry either on your phone or the PB without having to update or sync them together. What's more, with the BB Bridge, you can access the internet even if you can't connect to wifi.

There has been quite a few comments regarding spell check so for information or clarification you can also use the "search" function at the top of the page. Lack of spell check isn't a problem for me personally and I believe that Word to Go has spell check so you could always type in it then cut and paste.

HTH
    01-02-12 03:27 PM
    Be patient - most in here would disagree that it is not worth the money even as his - hang around and read through Crackberry for a while before making your decision. If it's not for you it's not for you.

Welcome to Crackberry.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-02-12 03:30 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry! Too bad you received the PB as a gift since you are so disappointed with it. Can you not ask the Giver if you can take it back and put the money towards an iPad?

Failing that perhaps you should read through the very helpful sticky above called Tips and Tricks? You might find some things that the PB does without the need for an app that will surprise and delight you.

It's too bad that you don't have a Blackberry phone since the Blackberry Bridge is brilliant for things like appointments. You can create an entry either on your phone or the PB without having to update or sync them together. What's more, with the BB Bridge, you can access the internet even if you can't connect to wifi.

There has been quite a few comments regarding spell check so for information or clarification you can also use the "search" function at the top of the page. Lack of spell check isn't a problem for me personally and I believe that Word to Go has spell check so you could always type in it then cut and paste.

HTH
    thanks

i do have a blackberry phone which is why my partner bought me the pb instead of an ipad so i have played around with the bridge, but as far as appointments are concerned, i prefer to use an app specified to the industry as it can be helpful with accounting....the one on my ipod will tell me how much i have earned in any time frame and which clients i havnt seen in the last month/2 months so i can give them a text to remind them lol i know this is a very specific thing to moan about it lacking but seeing as apple have 50 odd apps in this category, id expect bb to have more than 1.
    also, can someone give me a reason as to why bb apps are sooooo expensive? ie angry birds on ipod/ipad is 69p on the pb its 5 pound! seriously!! whats that all about??

sorry again for being a pain in the backside lol
    01-02-12 03:40 PM
    thanks for your reply!

i understand its a brand new system, but its still annoying that people have spent money on them for the last 6 months (i think thats how long theyve been on the market for) and they still arent worth the money, and have been decreasing in price since they were released, even mine is available �50 cheaper since it was purchased 2 weeks ago and i still have to wait a couple more months until i can hopefully use it effectively!
    if it isnt significantly improved but february, i will have to consider switching to the ipad...
    do we know anything about the android app player then?
    I do not get it why you are so disappointed with playbook. Ipad has tons of apps indeed but 1. who really needs fifteen apps for the same thing 2. who needs 500,000 apps when manybe only 10,000 of them are any good. 3.who really needs that many apps on PB which offers full web experience. Something that Ipad does not have. Ipad is designed in such a way to force user to go through Apple app store and dish out $$$. Something that is not necessary on PB. In addition you can test drive OS2 beta now. The process of installing os2 beta and side loading Android apps is easy. Finally I find PB way better tablet than Ipod for work because i find PB multitasking highly useful. Having several open at the same time and being able to work/use all of them at the same time is just priceless.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-02-12 03:46 PM
    lol... look at it this way.... at the current prices you have a couple of hundred dollars of "expensiveness" to work off.

and since you already have what your looking for loaded on the ipod. why do you need it again?
    01-02-12 03:51 PM
    I do not get it why you are so disappointed with playbook. Ipad has tons of apps indeed but 1. who really needs fifteen apps for the same thing 2. who needs 500,000 apps when manybe only 10,000 of them are any good. 3.who really needs that many apps on PB which offers full web experience. Something that Ipad does not have. Ipad is designed in such a way to force user to go through Apple app store and dish out $$$. Something that is not necessary on PB. In addition you can test drive OS2 beta now. The process of installing os2 beta and side loading Android apps is easy. Finally I find PB way better tablet than Ipod for work because i find PB multitasking highly useful. Having several open at the same time and being able to work/use all of them at the same time is just priceless.
    i dont disgree that the ipad has way too many apps and they just try and get your money out of you at every opportunity, but atleast the apps on the ipad are uk friendly not all assuming you're american or european and they also have the app i need 'hair and beatuy appointment app'

i love my pb because of its speed and multitasking but the lack of apps is just frustrating!

i dont understand abiut the os2? is it available now? along with android apps?
    01-02-12 03:53 PM
    lol... look at it this way.... at the current prices you have a couple of hundred dollars of "expensiveness" to work off.

and since you already have what your looking for loaded on the ipod. why do you need it again?
    i dont really understand what you mean about the expensiveness but i wanted to make my ipod redundant and have my pb for my hair business, its on a bigger screen afterall but not too big like the ipad...

the playbook is perfect in everyway but for not what i need it for (yet hopefully)
    Last edited by perry92; 01-02-12 at 04:01 PM.
    01-02-12 03:56 PM
    i dont disgree that the ipad has way too many apps and they just try and get your money out of you at every opportunity, but atleast the apps on the ipad are uk friendly not all assuming you're american or european and they also have the app i need 'hair and beatuy appointment app'

i love my pb because of its speed and multitasking but the lack of apps is just frustrating!

i dont understand abiut the os2? is it available now? along with android apps?
    OS2.0 is in Beta. You can sign up for Beta now and have it installed on your PB to "test drive" upcoming os. As to android apps. No they are not available as of yet in PB store but many "crazy" and "impatiant" people took their time to convert some of android apps to work with playbook.Then you just need to side loaded them to your playbook. Some work great and some do not. You will find all your answers in this forum. Finally if you do not want to go through this process and you want to stick with official OS just like Apple says "There is app for this" i will tell you "There is website for this". There are 500,000 Apps in Apple store and Millions of websites out there which will do the same thing for you. And it is all accessable with your fully featured PB browser.
    01-02-12 04:04 PM
    hey all!
    im a brand new crackberry user so im sorry if youve already answered the questions im about to ask a million times, i have had a look but cant seem to find exactly what im looking for!

i revieved a playbook for xmas, and ever since ive been scrolling through the app store looking for decent apps and browsing the internet loiking at reviews and news feeds.

i have to say, i am soooo dissapointed with the lack off effort RIM seems to have put into the playbook, i have read about this new android app player that is being discussed all iver the internet...but, is it going to happen and when? or do we have no idea whatsoever?

ive never know something to be released with such a lack of apps/facilities...i have always used an ipod touch for apps as im a hairdresser and i like to use electronic diaries and booking systems for my appointments, apple have about 50 different ones of different costs and abilities, blackberry has 1 which is free to download but you have to pay monthly to use it....but there are about 10 piano apps...i dont think the priorities are right there somehow.

all he finance apps seem ti be american too without a function to change currency, k know its only a symbol, but if youre going to sell it in england, atleast put apps with a pound symbol on it!

dont even get me started on the lack of spell check! the oldest mobile phones have spell checkerss, so why shouldnt this if it costs �300+

sorry about the rant guys!
    Oh my.....I'm at a loss for words.
    01-02-12 04:07 PM
    Oh my.....I'm at a loss for words.
    You're not the only one!
    01-02-12 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD