Hey there,

Just picked up a Playbook and am awaiting my WiFi set up at home. I know I need the WiFi to set-up and browse online, but do I need it for other thing like viewing movies and pics and listening to music or taking pictures, or downloading apps? I have a cell phone, but not a BB and no data plan currently.

Thanks a bunch.
    11-27-11 11:02 PM
    Hey there,

Just picked up a Playbook and am awaiting my WiFi set up at home. I know I need the WiFi to set-up and browse online, but do I need it for other thing like viewing movies and pics and listening to music or taking pictures, or downloading apps? I have a cell phone, but not a BB and no data plan currently.

Thanks a bunch.
    You need wifi to setup ur PB, browse that includes anything u want to do on the internet. U dont need wifi to listen to music (unless thats been streamed off the net), not needed for taking pictures, and yes wifi required for downloading apps.
    If u dont have a blackberry, you can still thether your PB to your phone but to access the internet via ur phone will need a data phone for ur phone.
    11-27-11 11:07 PM
    LMAO, your first post is like my earlier posts....yes, you need wi-fi to set up the PB, and if you don't have a BB phone, and all you plan on doing is viewing pics, or homemade videos, or listen to music, you can do that without wi-fi. When you set up the desktop software on your PC or Mac, you synch your new PB while it will prompt you to update the OS (if it isn't already updated from the initial setup), and you can then begin to download apps from app world sans wi-fi. You'll need wi-fi to access the web, and if you plan on OTA app purchases, or downloading movies, etc. There is also a new app that will allow you to synch your iTunes library OTA. If you don't have wi-fi at home yet (like me), go to McDonald's, or Starbucks, or Panera's, all who have free wi-fi access. Most malls are wi-fi accessible as well. Hope this helps.

It's amazing how less of a dummy I feel just reading the posts and threads here; oh, and just as amazing how more of a dummy some sound here the more they post.

You've come to the right place.
    11-27-11 11:15 PM
    Many thanks to you both...very new to the whole tablet thing, and to be honest BB always seemed to be not for me. Amazing what a price of $199 wil change in a hurry. One more question.....I am a bit of a golf nut and was planning on using the PB GPS combined with a golf GPS app to you the PB on the course. Once the app is loaded, will I need a wifi connection on the course to use it? That would seem to be quite difficult.

Once again, thanks for being gentle with the feedback. Most Canadians are pretty tech savvy.....hope to get there soon.
    11-27-11 11:46 PM
    Once the app is loaded, will I need a wifi connection on the course to use it?
    This will depend on the app. Not knowing what the app is or does it is hard to guide you. See if the description says on-line (WiFi required) or off-line (all info resides on your PB). The GPS is not WiFi dependent but maps may be (or you may have the option of downloading them - requiring a data connection for the download but not for the use).
    11-27-11 11:58 PM
    Hey there,

Thanks a bunch.
    Hit a Starbucks or other coffee shope - maybe that castle north of the Transcan has wifi!
    11-28-11 12:28 AM
    Many thanks to you both...very new to the whole tablet thing, and to be honest BB always seemed to be not for me. Amazing what a price of $199 wil change in a hurry. One more question.....I am a bit of a golf nut and was planning on using the PB GPS combined with a golf GPS app to you the PB on the course. Once the app is loaded, will I need a wifi connection on the course to use it? That would seem to be quite difficult.

Once again, thanks for being gentle with the feedback. Most Canadians are pretty tech savvy.....hope to get there soon.
    Are you thinking of the Android version of Golfshot GPS? Or another app?
    I finally got around to trying a golf gps app (Golfshot GPS) for my iPhone. This particular app uses the iPhone's GPS AND my cell phone's data for the maps (Google maps of the golf courses). I think if you download the golf course on wifi before heading to the course, it will minimize the amount of data used at the course. If you need wifi access for the PlayBook, you would need to tether it to your phone or use your phone's wifi hotspot, or BB Bridge. The Golfshot GPS app costs $30 and there is an Android version. I dont know if the Android version will work on the PlayBook's android player. BTW, the iPhone app works surprisingly well and it keeps my scores and stats from course to course.
    11-28-11 12:32 AM
    You need wifi to setup ur PB, browse that includes anything u want to do on the internet. U dont need wifi to listen to music (unless thats been streamed off the net), not needed for taking pictures, and yes wifi required for downloading apps.
    If u dont have a blackberry, you can still thether your PB to your phone but to access the internet via ur phone will need a data phone for ur phone.
    Cant apps be downloaded when tethered to desktop? Haven't tried it, but I know BB phones apps can be installed this way.

I say save some of that golf money to get a BB phone so you can bridge on the course. You'll love it.
    11-28-11 06:15 AM
    Cant apps be downloaded when tethered to desktop? Haven't tried it, but I know BB phones apps can be installed this way.

I say save some of that golf money to get a BB phone so you can bridge on the course. You'll love it.
    I am guessing they can be, never tried it though......but for sure not over bridge as it dosent connect to app world (since the last time i checked)
    11-28-11 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD