Chen touts BlackBerry Classic | Toronto Star

Kind of old news (Oct 29/14) from the Toronto Star newspaper....read the first and last paragraphs.
    11-16-14 04:34 PM
    �I would love to have a tablet. I don�t want to build just another tablet, there are enough tablets out there,� Chen told the forum audience. �We�re going to build something, I hope, reasonably attractive. No doubt, we�re working on it.�
    Best news of the month!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-16-14 04:38 PM
    Sadly, after killing off its first tablet that they never put anything behind, I wouldn't trust BlackBerry ever again no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 04:44 PM
    I just found out that BlackBerry is still working on updates to the OS of the PlayBook. Got an email back from customer service tonight...

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, MTL and world saviour like this.
    11-16-14 04:52 PM
    Sadly, after killing off its first tablet that they never put anything behind, I wouldn't trust BlackBerry ever again no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    The three...two stooges (who over-stayed their welcome) ran the company back then, and they're gone now. I can't wait for Chen to bring out another tablet.
    Alfisti2016 and anon(5597702) like this.
    11-16-14 04:59 PM
    I will keep everyone informed if I get any more promising news on an update or information on a tablet in the works. I really hope the company comes out with a BB10 tablet. A 7.0" model. Really compact, powerful, and efficient. Could be exciting news yet to come from BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    SomeoneOrOther and Mecca EL like this.
    11-16-14 05:02 PM
    Could you provide a copy of that email? I mean curiously I still see it up on their website which is odd??? Who knows...

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 05:41 PM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry focus on smartphones, like producing a follow up to the Z30, like the Z50?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    LuisCast and heepman like this.
    11-16-14 05:45 PM
    Here it is. Please forgive the weird layout of it. It is copied directly from my email account. I left out my name, as well as the support representatives, for obvious reasons.

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

I appreciate your response.

Regarding updates, our developers are still working on the updates regarding BlackBerry PlayBook Operating System.

Once update is available, we will definitely inform all BlackBerry users.

I would like to thank you for the feed back and I will forward it to our developers.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    BlackBerry
    Tel:
    �NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    �UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    �Europe: +44 1753 558400
    �Worldwide: +1-647-426-1108
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.blackberry.com

Are you ready for BlackBerry 10?
    www.blackberry.com/BlackBerry-10

Posted via CB10
    Techno-Emigre and Mecca EL like this.
    11-16-14 05:46 PM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry focus on smartphones, like producing a follow up to the Z30, like the Z50?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    Perhaps the new CEO is a tad interested in correcting the wrong that Thorsten Heins did to the PlayBook. Who knows...

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-16-14 05:48 PM
    WoooHooo !!

Best news in ages. I love my PB and still use it daily. I'm happy whether they update the OS or come out with a new device
    Jrox74 and tg1 like this.
    11-16-14 05:49 PM
    Here it is. Please forgive the weird layout of it. It is copied directly from my email account. I left out my name, as well as the support representatives, for obvious reasons.

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

I appreciate your response.

Regarding updates, our developers are still working on the updates regarding BlackBerry PlayBook Operating System.

Once update is available, we will definitely inform all BlackBerry users.

I would like to thank you for the feed back and I will forward it to our developers.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    BlackBerry
    Tel:
    �NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    �UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    �Europe: +44 1753 558400
    �Worldwide: +1-647-426-1108
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com

Are you ready for BlackBerry 10?
    BlackBerry 10 - BlackBerry Q5, BlackBerry Q10 & BlackBerry Z10 - Global

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't put too much stock into this email. It may just be security related updates.
    diegonei, highos and kbz1960 like this.
    11-16-14 06:11 PM
    I'm skeptical of a Playbook update but we can dream. Lord knows that mine is sitting there collecting dust. As for a new tablet makes sense with JC but it will definitely be different.
    11-16-14 06:16 PM
    If this proves true it is such good news for me. The other day I was trying to figure out what to do when my three PBs die. I built so much in my business around them, and there doesn't seem to be anything to replace them. My favorite feature is BRIDGE. Pure brilliance. Give a presentation with my PB tethered to the big screen, while I walk around the room controlingl everything remotely from my Z10. I have often wanted to express my thanks and admiration to the Bridge team. And my favorite part? Watching those in the room trying to pair their tablets and phones and duplicate what I am doing. (very evil grin of satisfaction here).
    jtv1, AWB70 and mamasan47 like this.
    11-16-14 07:32 PM
    Not sure why they would be doing any updates unless there is some contractual requirement such as Department of Defense or some other large buyer. It adds nothing to the bottom line and from a marketing angle is not going to do a lot to retain existing customers who would then commit to a new tablet should it happen; just not enough base support to warrant it.

OTOH, it might be some kind of training camp for employees to understand the differences and needs of a tablet vs phone OS and use differences.
    11-16-14 07:33 PM
    Not sure why they would be doing any updates unless there is some contractual requirement such as Department of Defense or some other large buyer. It adds nothing to the bottom line and from a marketing angle is not going to do a lot to retain existing customers who would then commit to a new tablet should it happen; just not enough base support to warrant it.

OTOH, it might be some kind of training camp for employees to understand the differences and needs of a tablet vs phone OS and use differences.
    The only thing I can think of is if the there is a complete new or with the new tablet which the old PB can run. Holding any breath? Not a chance but it could be an idea.
    11-16-14 07:36 PM
    BRING BLEND TO PLAYBOOK and that's it, this tablet will get its former glory restored!!

hopefully BLEND for PB is available after the global roll out of 10.3.1 next year *fingers crossed*
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-16-14 07:47 PM
    Hey guys, take a look at this thread, it directly relates to Chen addressing this write and clarifies a few things..
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-post-975328/

Here's a direct copy from the OP.

From this morning's paper...

Q: You have said that BlackBerry will be unveiling a new concept device early next year. Last month, there was talk of the company working on a tablet to succeed the PlayBook after your comments at an MIT event in Hong Kong. Is BlackBerry working on a tablet?

A: The conversation was about Passport, and what I've been telling people is that when I use the Passport today, I now literally do not bring laptop or any other tablet devices. People might think I'm working on a tablet, but I don't t know how they could confuse that. But we are working on something, obviously a follow on to this. That might be where the questions or confusion comes from. I did not say we were working on a tablet. I certainly didn't say that we don't [have a tablet]. As far as the tablet is concerned, I've been on record that if there is a breakthrough technology, something that is very iconic, and I could differentiate ourselves against others, I would love to have a tablet. But not just a normal tablet

Have a good one!

Posted via CB10
    nic01, Colin Wu, kbz1960 and 4 others like this.
    11-16-14 07:50 PM
    I was one of the early purchasers of the PB, was the 1st one to order from my local best buy. Actually still using to this day eventhough some features may have slowed down but still gets a lot of use. I would be happy with any update that could speed some functions up but doubt that would happen. Or even an update that would make it work better with my Z30 and Q10. One thing I can say for sure if BB was to come out with another tablet I certainly will not be one of the early adopters unless this one gives out on me. Don't see myself spending that much for another device that looses support in no time.

I must say I have given some thought into the passport as a possible replacement for the PB being that it does have the bigger screen.
    Old Ag, jtv1 and mamasan47 like this.
    11-16-14 09:06 PM
    Coincidentally I was going to start a new thread on why I thought this was the best time to release an update at least to the browser. A few weeks (maybe months ago) HTML5 reached end of development meaning that any new standard will take years before completion. I hope that it is being taken into consideration even if there are eyes for a new device.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-16-14 10:48 PM
    Really would like to know what would "differentiate" a BBRY tablet. I think they need to tout the security aspect and regain government and corporate contracts. So much hacking going on they need to capitalize on it. I hate seeing all the Apple stuff at my company. Used to only BBRY.
    jtv1 and mamasan47 like this.
    11-17-14 09:14 AM
    Apple products are junk. I had an iPhone 5S, and can say without a doubt that the iPhone 5S has a lot more wrong with it than my Z10,Q10,Q5 and Curve 9320 ever did.
    Why people started whining to have an iPhone at the office on BES, is beyond me. There's no security in anything Apple.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 and mamasan47 like this.
    11-17-14 09:56 AM
    The three...two stooges (who over-stayed their welcome) ran the company back then, and they're gone now. I can't wait for Chen to bring out another tablet.
    Don't bash the two stooge. The PlayBook was the initialization of QNX into a potable platform now called BlackBerry 10. And I don't know anyone that doesn't praise this platform. They screwed up on the marketing.

Z10
    11-17-14 10:23 AM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 10:40 AM
    While we wait for a new Playbook, just give us an app to make our existing Playbooks - "dumb" tablets using the resources from our BB10 phones.
    Techno-Emigre, dmlis and Boight like this.
    11-17-14 10:43 AM
88 123 ...