It would be nice to have updates to the browser, for one. It crashes constantly. BBM would be also beneficial, as well as some other much needed tweaks to the OS.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 and DPSydBerry like this.
    11-17-14 10:47 AM
    Starting to like the dumb tablet idea. Take away any OS 2.x/PB OS dependencies, put/keep all resources in BB10. PB only users can keep things the way they are; PB users with BB10 phones can reap the benefits of the latter with the former.
    Techno-Emigre, dmlis and jtv1 like this.
    11-17-14 10:54 AM
    . They screwed up on the marketing.

Z10
    Blackberry more than screwed up the marketing of the Playbook. Blackberry screwed up the execution in numerous important ways that have been well documented in this forum and others.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-17-14 03:24 PM
    I see this as a specialized device, something between a phablet and a tablet for medical professionals, etc. "Revival of the failed Playbook is not in the cards." indeed. In order for this to not just be "another tablet" it would have to be something that integrates into an ecosystem of some type like BES.
    undone and jtv1 like this.
    11-17-14 03:45 PM
    Starting to like the dumb tablet idea. Take away any OS 2.x/PB OS dependencies, put/keep all resources in BB10. PB only users can keep things the way they are; PB users with BB10 phones can reap the benefits of the latter with the former.
    No such thing as a dumb tablet.... very few parts of an existing tablet could be deleted and still allow you to use a "dumb tablet". And how dumb do you want it?
    Do you want a sensor to change the screen brightness?
    Would you want a camera in it so you could skype or BBM Video someone?
    Would you want speakers?
    Going to do any gaming, would need a few sensors to let the "system" know the screen orientation?
    Would need some form of communication back to the main devices - BT, NFC, WiFi?
    How about a Battery with some kinda power management system?
    Processor to control all these other components? (granted it could be pretty basic)
    What about a GPU to draw the info on the screen that is sent from your phone?

So for not much less than what you could buy a full stand alone tablet for, you would be buying a device that would suck the battery life out of your phone and end up leaving you with two dead devices.

Like the idea of Blend on a tablet... that would allow me to turn the feature on and off and still use the tablet without draining my phone.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-18-14 02:55 PM
    Sadly, after killing off its first tablet that they never put anything behind, I wouldn't trust BlackBerry ever again no matter what.
    That makes no sense but to each his own...
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-18-14 03:51 PM
    I like to think that the PlayBook being EOLed so soon was just one of many mistakes made at BlackBerry under Thorsten Heins. I think if Chen decided to do a tablet, it wouldn't be history repeating itself: Chen knows how to respect loyal customers, rather than treat them with outright contempt and disregard as Thor did.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-18-14 03:52 PM
    They need to try upgrading the existing PlayBook with an OS designed specifically for it, to resemble the characteristics of BB10, that WILL work on the PlayBook.

It doesn't have to be BB10, just modernize what we have a bit including BLEND, BBM, improved browser, improved chat capabilities.

Then if this works, get into designing a newer version or versions.

All we ask is to modernize the OS a bit to fall into the array of use with the BB10 architecture.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-18-14 04:16 PM
    Nothing I read there says a tablet.
    11-18-14 04:21 PM
    They need to try upgrading the existing PlayBook with an OS designed specifically for it, to resemble the characteristics of BB10, that WILL work on the PlayBook.

It doesn't have to be BB10, just modernize what we have a bit including BLEND, BBM, improved browser, improved chat capabilities.

Then if this works, get into designing a newer version or versions.

All we ask is to modernize the OS a bit to fall into the array of use with the BB10 architecture.

Posted via CB10
    yes! Yes! They are going to do all that for outdated slow tech that is old. Right
    11-18-14 04:22 PM
    Hopefully they will.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-18-14 04:37 PM
    Why? Should MS be updating its Win8 to run on a 286 computer? Should Apple be modding its latest OSX to run on a G5? There is no obligation either, moral, practical or financial requiring or making a business case. As silly as saying Jaguar has some obligation or reason to offer their v-8 as a free install on the XJ-6 Type II.
    wincyUt, scmcc16, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    11-18-14 06:36 PM
    I hope they update the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    greenpoise and jtv1 like this.
    11-18-14 07:41 PM
    Why? Should MS be updating its Win8 to run on a 286 computer? Should Apple be modding its latest OSX to run on a G5? There is no obligation either, moral, practical or financial requiring or making a business case. As silly as saying Jaguar has some obligation or reason to offer their v-8 as a free install on the XJ-6 Type II.
    All of those would make sense if BlackBerry had another tablet in the works. They don't. It may be old tech as you say, but it's the only tablet BlackBerry has. BlackBerry aren't working on another tablet...Chen says that the door is open to one, but the innovation of tablet tech has to be pretty outstanding for him to do it, so the PlayBook is all we have. Do BlackBerry have an obligation to bring 10.3.1 to the Z10 which by the time it comes out will be old tech and has been suitably replaced by both the Z3 and the Z30? Are they though? Where BlackBerry is concerned I don't think the question comes into what's old and what's new, but what's good for the customers. I think giving updates to the PlayBook is good for customers. It might not make revenue on the product itself, but it builds faith for future sales.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-18-14 11:22 PM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-19-14 12:02 AM
    I'll be happy if in a year or so there is a new BlackBerry tablet to replace the two PlayBook's that I use every day now. An upgrade to the Android Runtime and the browser would be appreciated but I certainly don't expect any. My original Ipad and Galaxy Tab were abandoned by their makers far quicker than my PlayBook was.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-19-14 12:09 AM
    Wow. More keyboards and now news of a new tablet, but still no official word of any replacement for the aging Z10 and Z30. Disappointing.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    11-19-14 12:25 AM
    Wow. More keyboards and now news of a new tablet, but still no official word of any replacement for the aging Z10 and Z30. Disappointing.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    This looks like the start of the snowball effect.
    First a dubious report and now someone acknowledging it as fact.

Yea!
    jtv1 and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    11-19-14 06:48 AM
    Not abandoned. Upgraded. The Original iPad and Galaxy Tab had hardware upgrades and released as new devices. The PlayBook is still running on its first iteration almost four years since release. Chen said if...and it's a big if...there were advancements in innovation for tablet tech, then he would reconsider the tablet, but they don't exist as yet?
    11-19-14 04:55 PM
    Not sure why they would be doing any updates unless there is some contractual requirement such as Department of Defense or some other large buyer. It adds nothing to the bottom line and from a marketing angle is not going to do a lot to retain existing customers who would then commit to a new tablet should it happen; just not enough base support to warrant it.

OTOH, it might be some kind of training camp for employees to understand the differences and needs of a tablet vs phone OS and use differences.
    I keep thinking! Why did Microsoft keep XP updated for so long.
    Then it hit me.
    Security reasons, particularly when it comes to migration.
    What other way would you contain as much as possible, any holes that need patching.
    It's so much smoother, a bit like car engines.
    Same head and block engine with additions, but initially no matter what name you call the body of the vehicle the engine is normally the same.
    Last edited by jtv1; 11-19-14 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Unfinished sentences
    11-19-14 05:45 PM
    its quite difficult and i dont see it coming..but i hope we get an upgrade for the playbook..i can see a new tablet coming in a year.i dont see a pb update in the near future.i hope im wrong.i would love to have both :P
    11-19-14 06:43 PM
    I am so glad to see so many innovators in the CB Community and I shall say community is what brought us all here today.
    I have taken all the positives; as BlackBerry is I believed, is used to making devices that carry uniqueness.
    My hopes are lifted.

Right now I am testing you on a PB and can say I could do with an update.
    To see a device upgrade to this would be good, and then I hear "Brand New BBTab
    Ummmmmm Yes Please
    I like the quality and robustness of this PB

Am sure many of you have read other threads this should be attached to and take all the positives and the future can be endless.

"mydevice" BB PlayBook 2.1.0.1917
    Last edited by jtv1; 11-19-14 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Hope to add mydevice
    11-19-14 06:53 PM
    I just can't believe it when I see comments coming from BlackBerry fans on here that PlayBook users should "move on", or "let it die",etc.

They should give their heads a shake. Aren't we all supposed to be on the same team here, lol?

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-19-14 06:57 PM
    I just can't believe it when I see comments coming from BlackBerry fans on here that PlayBook users should "move on", or "let it die",etc.

They should give their heads a shake. Aren't we all supposed to be on the same team here, lol?
    This is the part of the story where adversity creates division and conflict.
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-19-14 07:03 PM
    I don't know if I have mentioned this before, nothing to do with our subject, but.

Is the time I sent my post set by CB sever because me being in the UK.
    As am seeing a time marked here that hasn't arrived where I am.
    Time here posted: 01:44 20-011-2014 GMT UK
    11-19-14 07:45 PM
88 1234