Here's the story and link:

Reminiscing like it was yesterday, the world was watching Mike Lazaridis on stage at DevCon 2010 holding the newly announced BlackBerry PlayBook tablet in what signaled a new era for the company. Unfortunately, BlackBerry?s only tablet was marred by delays and a lack of an app ecosystem, which doomed it from the get-go and left the company without a competitive product in that market segment.

Although the PlayBook has its limitations, its owners (myself included) still love it, and would definitely welcome an updated version. BlackBerry?s latest pre-Chen regime said a tablet was not in the plans as there was no value in it. New management may have a different attitude towards it.

Last week at the BlackBerry Experience event at a sit down with John Sims, President of Enterprise at BlackBerry, the question about a tablet arose. The answer was not at the moment but, ?we see value in a tablet and I can tell you that John Chen REALLY likes the idea of a tablet.? That comment made me suspicious and I of course started to dig up info and reach out to everyone for more information. What I learned is very surprising.

BlackBerry is in fact considering a tablet. The tablet niche is not currently a priority for BlackBerry, but it?s something the company believes that they can sell to enterprise customers. Also, the company believes that it can be a huge asset to their entrance in the healthcare and other regulated industries. We were told that BlackBerry and NantHealth are jointly working on a smartphone that will be for the medical sector, but also available to consumers. I believe the new tablet device will have the same availability: built for enterprise and regulated industries, but available for the consumer too. BlackBerry also believes that the introduction of an Android storefront (i.e., 1Mobile or Amazon) to BlackBerry 10 can help with the content needed to sell a device like this. The belief is that if the hardware division sees stabilization this next BlackBerry tablet may be slated for Q4 of 2015.

Hardware specification for the rumored tablet is not yet available, but we?ll keep digging for more information. Additionally, let it be clear that while the company is considering plans for another tablet, it may not ever come to fruition. The management team of John Chen has an ear in the market and will respond accordingly.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-considering-new-tablet-2015/

BlackBerry Considering New Tablet by 2015 - N4BB
    Well, even if the current PlayBook isn't going to be getting the update to BlackBerry 10, looks like we might have the opportunity to buy a new one that does have it.

Posted via CB10
    46Nico40 likes this.
    04-18-14 10:16 AM
    I'm not going to get too optimistic. We've heard a number of similar comments over the last couple of years. As much as I would love a new, BB 10 based tablet, I'd rather see Bbry concentrate on getting back to a decent position. I don't think working on a tablet would be a wise use of resources -- yet. Just my opinion.
    04-18-14 10:29 AM
    I think this sums it up nicely.

04-18-14 10:30 AM
    Do they have plans and a prototype (or two), I'm sure they do. For Enterprise, a tablet is becoming a big part of the picture for many markets... especially healthcare. But I think it will be a "niche" device that is design for a particular use and priced to match.
    04-18-14 10:42 AM
    I'm not going to get too optimistic. We've heard a number of similar comments over the last couple of years. As much as I would love a new, BB 10 based tablet, I'd rather see Bbry concentrate on getting back to a decent position. I don't think working on a tablet would be a wise use of resources -- yet. Just my opinion.
    I have to agree with you. But the quote saying that they really like the idea of a tablet gives a little hope. At least they don't have the same flawed mindset that Thor had. I see more tablets around right now, they don't seem to be a "fad".

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 10:48 AM
    I'm not optimistic either but if John Chen sees value in it for his product strategy I believe he'll build a new notebook. I have 2 - 64GB PlayBooks and they are used daily.
    04-18-14 12:27 PM
    New PlayBook in the works? Please no!
    I seriously doubt if Blackberry has learned anything from the mistakes made with the original Playbook.
    And until they do learn, producing a next-gen Playbook would seem a bit of a waste...
    04-18-14 12:55 PM
    I'm not getting my hopes up. Every time I pick up my PlayBook it reminds me of how I felt when my expectations were too high and were dashed to pieces over and over again.

In short, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via Tapatalk
    04-18-14 12:59 PM
    I'm sure they have it in their road map. Whether it get to see the daylight, that's another question. Until BlackBerry gets back on it's feet, there's not going to be any plan for any rumoured tablet or devices. One can't talk about buying a house if one still struggling to pay rent. We can certainly dream though.
    04-18-14 06:10 PM
    Does Chen even know BB had the PlayBook and shifted 2.6 million of them, and left owners with not even security updates !
    04-19-14 04:27 PM
    Does Chen even know BB had the PlayBook and shifted 2.6 million of them, and left owners with not even security updates !
    I've honestly haven't heard a single thing from Chen regarding PlayBook. It's as if nobody asked him personally...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Orange UK likes this.
    04-19-14 04:45 PM
    Judging from how BlackBerry has chosen to treat their current PlayBook owners it's unlikely I would consider buying another tablet from them. I've made the mistake of buying two tablets (an HP Touchpad and the PlayBook) that were premium priced when they originally came out, suffered from a lack of apps and are now orphaned by the companies that made them. The PlayBook is a well designed, quality product that could've been a contender if priced correctly and if they had continued development of applications. Now they've issued a "final" os update that screwed up the browser and we're starting to find apps that don't work any longer.

I will probably end up buying an Android-based tablet from Google, Samsung, ASUS, Dell or Lenovo - no way would I consider buying anything by HP again (and I'm afraid that BlackBerry is also on that list...)
    Orange UK likes this.
    04-19-14 05:46 PM
    If they do make a PlayBook 2... they better have nearly every single BB10 app compatible and latest android... they should not even think of releasing it if the platform isn't bolstered with crucial 1st party and third party app support.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Orange UK and Bad Whippet like this.
    04-19-14 06:24 PM
    Today, both me and my partner finally caved in and invested in a couple of Samsung tablets. On the one hand, it is a huge relief just to be able to install anything available, like Skype, Flixster and Kindle (my side-loaded Kindle now no longer works on the Playbook), but as expected, no matter how much older the Playbook happens to be, everything it did was just that bit smoother and with a superior quality. It's regrettable that BB10 never found its way to the Playbook after all. Although the Playbook is a bit weighty and chunky by today's wafer-thin standards, the quality is still superior to some tablets nearly twice its price.

Right in the middle of the store, in crowning glory, was the Sony Xperia Z2: sleek, slim, gorgeous in every way (totally unaffordable of course) and right alongside of that there should have been a Blackberry something. Maybe one day there will be. If so, let's hope it'll have more app support.
    04-19-14 10:26 PM
    Today, both me and my partner finally caved in and invested in a couple of Samsung tablets. On the one hand, it is a huge relief just to be able to install anything available, like Skype, Flixster and Kindle (my side-loaded Kindle now no longer works on the Playbook), but as expected, no matter how much older the Playbook happens to be, everything it did was just that bit smoother and with a superior quality. It's regrettable that BB10 never found its way to the Playbook after all. Although the Playbook is a bit weighty and chunky by today's wafer-thin standards, the quality is still superior to some tablets nearly twice its price.

Right in the middle of the store, in crowning glory, was the Sony Xperia Z2: sleek, slim, gorgeous in every way (totally unaffordable of course) and right alongside of that there should have been a Blackberry something. Maybe one day there will be. If so, let's hope it'll have more app support.
    BlackBerry Z30 is the PlayBook replacement for some.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 10:45 PM
    I HOPE THE HELL NOT.

I've got two Playbooks and I'm very aware of the potential of this device that past management and current management has refused to easily avail.

And, I'm not talking about OS 10.

I'm talking about a full-featured native folder/file management system, a robust bridge with OS 10 devices, and USB OTG, for example. (Sure, one can use one or more folder/file management systems, as a partial workaround--which I do--but such a workaround or workarounds has/have (a) severe limitation(s).)

Even if Blackberry would not directly realize new revenues by addressing these and other potential features, Blackberry could at least demonstrate that it is capable of building and adequately supporting a full-featured tablet, which could help in sales of any future Blackberry tablet going forward.

Instead, Blackberry remains committed to its half-assed Playbook approach.

Blackberry has no business introducing a new tablet into that market.
    Last edited by ubeda92; 04-19-14 at 11:56 PM.
    04-19-14 11:42 PM
    I'd love to know what Blackberry is telling/will be telling enterprise customers who bought Playbooks, especially the 4G LTE models during the last 18 months. Good luck in selling those enterprise customers any future Blackberry tablets.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    04-19-14 11:51 PM
    If they do make a PlayBook 2... they better have nearly every single BB10 app compatible and latest android... they should not even think of releasing it if the platform isn't bolstered with crucial 1st party and third party app support.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I love bb10, however it's still missing a couple of must gave features. The main one bring some sort of caller blocker. Not even in the app world.
    I don't want anything to do with the android market, but they must have around 6 good ones for free.

Oh, I also like my PlayBook, as an extension of my phone.
    If BlackBerry really wants my attention they'll make an of for my laptop.
    04-19-14 11:54 PM
    @Orange UK ..."not even security updates" ? Where have you been of late ?

There have been at least 2 major PB security updates since BB decision last year that BB10 wouldn't be making it's way to the PB, the most recent only a few weeks a go!

I see no reason not to continuing using our PBs, probably until their aging batteries render them unusable.... Meanwhile, I'm having quite some success in capturing .apk files from my Z30, following an Android App install, converting to a .bar and installing on my PB... ;�)
    04-20-14 02:32 AM
    I expect an answer by Fri 25/04/14 latest

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    04-20-14 03:13 PM
    An answer to what question specifically?
    04-20-14 03:17 PM
    An answer to what question specifically?
    Withdrawn security updates, product support... etc etc
    04-20-14 05:49 PM
    LMFAO Who in the hex would be stupid enough to consider buying a new tablet from BlackBerry. This Dollar Store third world country selling company killed themselves last time they screwed everyone who bought the PlayBook. The even funnier thing about this is there are actually people on this forum who think killing the PlayBook was a good decision because it was getting old yet it still runs circles around any other tablet. It is press releases or articles like this that show me and everyone else who has been with RIM that they still have some of the same ******* working there who drove the stock prices down to like $7 a share from a high of $160. A new BlackBerry tablet will more then definitely get this company broken up and sold to China one piece at a time. Where does RIMBERRY get their business people from on line college?!?!
    nealjane1 likes this.
    04-21-14 05:06 AM
    Didn't CB's new writer cover this in the Video Blog last week? I believe the answer from Sims was "Absolutely Not".
    04-21-14 08:45 AM

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    Don't get your hopes up.

I mean this in the nicest possible way.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 09:09 AM
55 123