Hi there. Don't know if you can help me but I've just got a playbook and have plugged it into my laptop to transfer some music and films etc but the blackberry software says I need Windows Service Pack 3. My laptop is Service Pack 2. I've tried to do an upgrade but my laptop isn't suitable. Is there any other way of transferring files from my laptop to my playbook? Thanks in advance and apologies if this question has been asked before. Adam.
    01-07-13 03:08 PM
    If you download the Service Pack 3 directly from Microsoft website, you should get the upgrade. If this fails, I don't know what to do.
    Adam_in_the_UK likes this.
    01-07-13 03:23 PM
    Wireless
    Pretty easy, just get your ip address lf your playbook and connect to it from your laptop
    If you need step by step,let me know
    01-07-13 03:30 PM
    You'd need to get BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.1 or 4.2 as I think they are the latest with Windows SP2, but that version of DTM probably won't support the playbook.

If you turn on file sharing on your playbook (gear icon at top right, then under security), it should show up as a USB drive without DTM, and just use windows file explorer to copy files.
    01-07-13 03:47 PM
    Thanks for replying. Apparently you can only upgrade to Service Pack 3 if you have 32-bit and I have 64-bit. (Or is could be vice versa haha).
    Either way it won't let me upgrade. I'm just surprised that the criteria for downloading the drivers is so specific. If anyone can think of a work around I would be very grateful! Don't really want to buy a new laptop just to be able to transfer files to my play book!
    01-07-13 03:47 PM
    I've just made sure the file sharing is on but it won't let me transfer any files to the device. I would hoping I could just drop and drag but it won't let me. I get an error message saying files on this cd rom are read only. It only seems to be showing the playbook as a disc or something.
    01-07-13 03:56 PM
    Looks like I may have to try the wireless thing if you wouldn't mind helping me out with a step-by-step! Thanks in advance.
    01-07-13 03:57 PM
    I hope you find the solution that works for you, but I have never had any real success with either USB or wireless file transfer through Windows Explorer (I'm Win7, 64 bit). I manage all of my needs through a combination of Dropbox, the Files & Folders app and the Wifi File Explorer app. Good luck!
    01-07-13 03:57 PM
    Thanks for replying. Apparently you can only upgrade to Service Pack 3 if you have 32-bit and I have 64-bit. (Or is could be vice versa haha).
    Either way it won't let me upgrade. I'm just surprised that the criteria for downloading the drivers is so specific. If anyone can think of a work around I would be very grateful! Don't really want to buy a new laptop just to be able to transfer files to my play book!
    Did you try this? "If you turn on file sharing on your playbook (gear icon at top right, then under security), it should show up as a USB drive without DTM, and just use windows file explorer to copy files."
    01-07-13 03:58 PM
    Give me half hour then ill talk you through wireless..i use a free linux based OS (zorin) and win7 and it works perfectly on both
    01-07-13 04:01 PM
    01-07-13 04:07 PM
    Thanks so much you guys. I've had a quick go and I'm struggling with the RUN and IP address bit. The video directs you to the Network page of your playbook but there seems to be lots of options. USB has IPv4, IPv6 and MAC addresses. Wi-fi has IPv6 and IPv4 details. When I click Run from my start menu, what am I supposed to type. Apologies for being a complete knubnuts!
    01-07-13 04:23 PM
    Ok I think I'm nearly there. Managed to run the IP address but now its asking for a username and password. Is this my Blackberry ID and password?
    halw likes this.
    01-07-13 04:31 PM
    The username by default is “playbook" i think - then whatever pword you have set
    01-07-13 04:35 PM
    Genius! Now why didn't they say that! I think we've cracked it. You people are amazing! Thank you so much!!
    01-07-13 04:38 PM
    bear in mind wirelessly copying files might take quite a while once you do get it sorted.nowhere near as quick as usb, just to dampen your enthusiasm a bit ! :-)
    01-07-13 04:44 PM
    Nothing can dampen this enthusiasm now I know how to do it! Can just do something else whilst it transfers! Really appreciate the help. Just wondering if there's any file types it can't cope with now! Sure I will find out.
    01-07-13 05:12 PM
    plays a lot of formats and if it doesnt there may be an app that will play a couple extra but unlikely you'd need to. 720 or 1080 resolution films look great - if you want to test theres a good site that will download hd clips from youtube straight to the pbook - Dirpy - Internet DVR - YouTube to Mp3 Converter and YouTube Video Downloader
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-07-13 05:23 PM
    If you want to shell out some money, Kalemsoft plays video formats the the native video app cannot handle. It can also stream video via a wireless connection and handles other remote tasks, too.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    01-07-13 06:30 PM
    Thanks for the help above, I�m also new PB owner and have managed to connect my macbook with my PB.
    Here comes a follow up. I have 2 usb hard drives connected to the internet router.
    Any suggestions on how, if possible, I can have access to them via WiFi?
    01-08-13 03:53 AM
    Thanks for the help above, I�m also new PB owner and have managed to connect my macbook with my PB.
    Here comes a follow up. I have 2 usb hard drives connected to the internet router.
    Any suggestions on how, if possible, I can have access to them via WiFi?
    Ive been able to do it using ghost commander. Just point it to you router adress (i.e. 192.168.1.1) and you should see your usb drives there.
    AmenCornerGolf likes this.
    01-08-13 05:08 AM
    does anyone know how to reset the wi-fi sharing password any help will be greatly appreciated
    01-08-13 06:39 AM
    does anyone know how to reset the wi-fi sharing password any help will be greatly appreciated
    You can set it on the pb - Security and/or Sharing settings under options. If you don't know it, you will not be able to change it. You will have to do a wipe of the pb, I believe.
    01-08-13 08:50 AM
    To all enjoy your PlayBook, you do have one of the best tablets on the market. I had mine for over one year and still enjoy it tremendously.
    01-09-13 07:14 PM
    thanks i had to wipe it

You can set it on the pb - Security and/or Sharing settings under options. If you don't know it, you will not be able to change it. You will have to do a wipe of the pb, I believe.
    01-11-13 02:27 AM
28 12