i came across this trick while seeing how many apps i could open before crashing my playbook in response to a thread about oipad vs pb,,, i was able to open 10 (ten) apps & still have 60MB of ram left,,, after closing all apps i noticed an increase of 50 (yup, i said FIFTY) MB of RAM,,, i'm normally @ 625-627 after a fresh boot,,, after doing this twice, to be sure, i had 680 MB,,, not sure but i'm thinking the playbook closes some things in the background to gain RAM to keep from crashing,,, this gain is consistent & there is nothing but the usual loss of RAM over the course of a couple days, (10-20 MB),,, the pb is also noticably snappier...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 04-28-13 at 12:50 AM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-27-13 11:49 PM
    Just tried. Didnt. Crash the pb. Just started closing the oldest apps. Noticed no memory increase. Did you do a reboot after closing the apps?
    04-28-13 12:01 AM
    Just tried. Didnt. Crash the pb. Just started closing the oldest apps. Noticed no memory increase. Did you do a reboot after closing the apps?
    nope,,, just "x-ed" out of them, 1 by 1, newest to first,,, i.e. in reverse order, right to left, all were minimized,,, i did have the playbook in showcase mode so that all apps ran in background...
    04-28-13 12:34 AM
    after reboot, my memory went back to 625MB,,, repeated the steps above & regained the 50MB again,,, i've done this 3 times so far, always w/ the same result...
    04-28-13 12:37 AM
    That has been true for a while. That is what possessed me to ask for a Memory Eating application ages ago when Android apps would crash but you could not launch a new one. If you opened up enough apps to eat/grab memory, finally the Android player would reinitialize and you could run another Android app. There were a few memory eaters, Kermed created the one I still have. But in one of the OS upgrades, rim fixed it - probably when they gave us the ability to run more than one at a time.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    04-28-13 12:50 AM
    i'm just surprised it kept the newfound memory without going back to reboot amount...
    04-28-13 12:56 AM
    When you open apps until they crash you will find that it restarts the Android player thus freeing up more memory. Android player usually takes about a minute or so to boot back up.
    crack___head likes this.
    04-28-13 09:55 AM
    When you open apps until they crash you will find that it restarts the Android player thus freeing up more memory. Android player usually takes about a minute or so to boot back up.
    to be clear,,, DON'T open apps until it crashes,,, i ONLY opened 10 (this may be less for you, depending on the demands of the particular apps you open) until there was 50-60 MB of memory left then closed them 1 by 1 in the reverse order i opened them, i.e. last to 1st, right to left,,, the memory is there once you close all apps, not a minute later,,, question: if there are no sideloaded or ported apps, is the andriod player still installed,,, i have no sideloads or ports,,,
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 04-28-13 at 06:25 PM.
    04-28-13 06:12 PM
    Android Player is installed regardless of if there are ported/sideloaded apps installed onto the PlayBook. It's baked into the OS itself [has been since OS2.0], so no way to remove it.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    04-29-13 03:44 PM