.5ghz is not much of a difference and the present PB does the magic for me.
    01-27-12 11:00 AM
    Phone, no phone.
    01-27-12 11:01 AM
    It still works fine and even better with updates. Nothing going to happen to it.
    TRlPPlN likes this.
    01-27-12 11:33 AM
    When I was a kid if you got a 50% increase in processor speed you would say "holy sh*t!"

Not sure why so many people are not saying this is a significant bump.
    01-27-12 11:38 AM
    I presume it won't make sense to design and produce a new hardware design without bringing it to the "latest stable performance grade" processor. I don't believe it is needed, but if we think life cycle (maybe 2-3 years ?) and look at the processor costs, it may cost more to stand on a v-1 version than using the current one.
    So 1,5 Ghz makes sense to me ...
    01-27-12 11:47 AM
    New chipsets aren't just about the mhz increase
    howarmat likes this.
    01-27-12 11:53 AM
    i think the new, faster PB with 3/4G will be an exciting addition to the tablet market for consumers. People still on the fence may be compelled to pull the trigger with the new features and improved OS. I, for one, am completely optimistic that this is the needed evolution to gain traction.
    01-27-12 11:53 AM
    Your current Playbook won't be worth anything. I suggest you go buy a new one as soon as they are available. I am starting a museum of old Playbooks. Would you like to donate yours?
    01-27-12 11:58 AM
    Your current Playbook won't be worth anything. I suggest you go buy a new one as soon as they are available. I am starting a museum of old Playbooks. Would you like to donate yours?
    you greedy b@[email protected]
    01-27-12 12:01 PM
    If iPhones and iPads hold their value then so should the Playbook. Im sure if you do some looking you would be able to find someone willing to pay a decent price for something that could be considered a 'entry' Playbook, especially if BB still puts out apps and updates for it (which they should bc there doesnt seem to be much change...)

if the rumor is true of course
    01-27-12 12:32 PM
    Do you forget... It's a RUMOR only !
    01-27-12 12:51 PM
    I wouldn't want one with 3G, even if it had a faster processor. The current one I got does everything to my satisfaction and I get even more with OS2. I don't want to shell out more money for another data plan. The Bridge feature is one reason I bought a PB. To me that makes it perfect. Other users may have different priorities and want to go the 3G route, but I don't.
    01-27-12 12:52 PM
    In terms of capabilities 0.5GHz is a huge increase. Certainly not a Meh upgrade.
    01-27-12 01:33 PM
    Considering the current processor speed seems plenty responsive on the current generation of BlackBerry PlayBook I would expect the typical user will not really perceive any speed increase if a 1.5GHz processor is used for the 3G/4G/LTE edition of this tablet.

My only hardware complaint about the BlackBerry PlayBook is the miserly 1GB RAM when 4-8GB RAM would be perfect of this multi-core, multi-tasking tablet. Every time I minimize a video playback the crystal clarity even in such a small window is amazing as is the full-screen video playback of course. Streaming lectures and professional development training is a fantastic experience on this tablet in its current hardware and software state. Hopefully, BBPBTOS 2.0 builds upon this heritage.
    01-27-12 02:02 PM
    New chipsets aren't just about the mhz increase
    It's not a new chipset. It's the same OMAP 4 clocked higher.
    rimdiculous likes this.
    01-27-12 04:12 PM
    Did you, guys, also notice that the battery capacity got smaller. So if you are not particularly happy about the Playbook's battery life, then the upgrade is not for you, b/c the smaller capacity + higher clock + NFC and 3G modules enabled = shorter battery life.

I am hoping that the developer team will make the OS more power optimized by then and we won't see much of a drop in battery life for the Playbook 3G.
    01-27-12 04:17 PM
    Do you forget... It's a RUMOR only !
    Sadly, that is the problem - you get it and they don't. It is an unsubstantiated rumor from a hardly reliable source that RIM doesn't even see fit to acknowledge. If it is not true some of the same people will be around complaining how RIM didn't deliver when it actually never promised anything in the first place. Perhaps it will happen and perhaps it will not but this is just a rumor.

BTW, if people think this is real, they should consider the fact that it would have to have been in design for some time. That means they were moving ahead on the second generation of a product when they couldn't get anyone to buy the bad PR-laden first generation. RIM has also acknowledged they are now selling Playbooks at a massive loss per unit. Where is the factory that will be producing them at a lower cost? RIM certainly knows that the original price point will never work. Do people really think they are going to hit the market with something they will need to sell at a loss, given the company's current financial position? At least in the US, neither Verizon nor AT&T are going to subsidize the price for a 3G product.

I think the Playbook is alive and well but I doubt it will stay that way (or for that matter RIM itself) if they were seriously considering this. They need to find and stabilize a market first. Releasing a tweaked version of the same product, when they lost money on the first, would be grounds for a stockholder revolt....
    PoJoTheCrooked likes this.
    01-27-12 04:54 PM
    I would't say 0.5 ghz is a small difference as it is a 50 % increase over the old one.

However I bet RIM has something up their sleeve to make use of the 0.5 ghz incease, because at the moment this ''new tablet'' isn't making any sense to me.

EDIT :

Higher clocks does NOT always mean that the overall consumption of the SoC is going to be higher, chips are getting smaller and smaller every day, thus requiring less voltage (or the same voltage but with higher clocks) and produces less heat.

Does your Intel Core I7 use 9435 MegaWatts? No it doesn't! It has exactly the same power consumption as an old Intel Pentium 4, So please DO NOT prejudge about battery life yet!
    Last edited by Decile; 01-27-12 at 05:12 PM.
    01-27-12 05:09 PM
    If iPhones and iPads hold their value then so should the Playbook. Im sure if you do some looking you would be able to find someone willing to pay a decent price for something that could be considered a 'entry' Playbook, especially if BB still puts out apps and updates for it (which they should bc there doesnt seem to be much change...)

if the rumor is true of course
    The PB is not like an apple product when talking about resale value. Remember these have discounted by over $200-400 for a good portion of the last couple months. Resale was already really bad for them before these sales
    01-27-12 05:12 PM
    You could literally have gone from being able to sell a PB 64gb used for ~$400 to below $299 in the span of a week when they did the massive sale on the official BB websites...

Occasional sales through 3rd party retailers is one thing, theoretically you could get away with selling your unit at higher price if people don't know about it or waiting for the sales to end. But when every model gets marked down to liquidate existing stock through official channels you're screwed...

I'm glad I sold mine when I did.
    Last edited by papped; 01-27-12 at 05:18 PM.
    01-27-12 05:15 PM
    It's not a new chipset. It's the same OMAP 4 clocked higher.
    I haven't seen anything specifying what the chipset actually is, but if they are simply clocking the same cpu higher the battery life is gonna suck...
    01-27-12 05:17 PM
    I haven't seen anything specifying what the chipset actually is, but if they are simply clocking the same cpu higher the battery life is gonna suck...
    In fact, they can't clock it higher.

The BB PB is currently running on an OMAP 4430, where currently the highest clock possible could be 1 Ghz, and the PB is already running at 1 Ghz.

This is leaving 2 options open :

The OMAP 4460, which is basicly just the same SoC but with a little extra bite to it, Max Frequency = 1.5 Ghz.

OR the brand new OMAP 5432, which can run up to 2 Ghz, however the referenced speed is 1 Ghz, so devs have to decide on which frequency it's going to run, which in fact.. Can be 1.5 like the sheet tells us.

If it is the brand new one, it's gonna be awesome. It is said that it can handle up to 5 times better graphics compared to the 4430 and 4460, and up to 50% more instructions per clocktick.

And quite interesting fact : The 5432 SoC is going to include 2 Cortex M4 cores, which is said to handle ''real time network traffic''. And I might have red something about 3G connectivity... how strange...
    fanatical and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-27-12 05:41 PM
    Wait what did I miss? Is there newer PB hardware coming out? $hit I already ordered my 3rd PB just yesterday... Time to cancel order or this is just total B$?
    01-27-12 05:44 PM
    I don't care if RIM comes out with a playbook with an omap5, I doubt I will buy another device as I only need this one. Maybe when an omap6 or 7 comes out I'll need to buy a new one.

Also to the op, .5ghz may not seem like a big difference, but there will definitely be a boost in performance..atleast in android, or i mean CM7-9
    01-27-12 06:03 PM
    As long as the software is there and is up to par a slight hardware update doesn't mean much to me.
    01-27-12 07:02 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD