Hey blackberry lovers. I have some questions about usage of my new favorite toys. I'm not sure what I'm doing when it comes to downloading, or transferring files to my playbook. My latest attempt was with the Android twitter link that is in my previous post about twitter for playbook. It tells me the file is downloaded, but then either I can't find it or it tells me it is unable to be opened for one reason or the other. I also am unsure what I am doing wrong when I try to transfer files from my computer to the playbook. The computer and playbook say they're connected, but when I go to transfer a file I can't find a playbook destination file to send it to.......what the heck am I doing wrong????........any help would be appreciated.
    12-31-12 01:05 PM
    to sideload [run android apps in playbook] u must read go to the Android App Sideloading Sub-Forum and read the Stickies.
    12-31-12 01:34 PM
    Not sure how you are transferring files from computer to playbook. The best way I use is the WiFi share, turning this on you will be able to browse to the Playbook and then drill down to folders and copy from pc to PB or PB to pc. I don't Twitter so I can't speak to it, but if the file you find is unable to be opened I suspect it could be the type of file. Only certain file types/formats of pics, documents, etc. can be viewed on the PB. I am certain that one of the more experienced PB users can speak to that. Good Luck
    12-31-12 03:34 PM
    Okay thanks.....I opened the file share option......um.....now what?????....how do i use it with my computer to transfer files?
    12-31-12 07:02 PM
    Okay thanks.....I opened the file share option......um.....now what?????....how do i use it with my computer to transfer files?
    Go to this link, a thread on Crackberry re just this issue http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/
    I found the instructions very easy to follow and have created a shortcut to my desktop. I now have a permanent connection when at home via wifi which means I don't have to use the cable to connect them up unless I want to sideload
    Cheers
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-31-12 07:43 PM
    I'll try that thanks. For some reason desktop, manager won't work on my computer so hopefully this will work.
    12-31-12 08:34 PM
    Hey, I followed all the instructions on the link and it looms like it's all set up. Only thing is when I try to transfer files to my playbook it tells me I must have permission to do this?????I have the pswd off, so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    01-01-13 05:22 AM
    Hey, I followed all the instructions on the link and it looms like it's all set up. Only thing is when I try to transfer files to my playbook it tells me I must have permission to do this?????I have the pswd off, so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Reading through the thread 'Mapping etc' (see link in previous post), it seems some have needed to enter a password and it's accepted 'Playbook'. (see post #3 and onwards in link)
    Maybe that will help you?
    01-01-13 05:38 AM
    Do you have a Mac? Be specific what folder on the Playbook you want to transfer into. Open the folder, i.e. Book, Video, Music and etc. Try drag the file from your computer into this folder again. It does ask for permission when you do not drag to a specific folder.
    01-01-13 06:49 AM
    It might be that, it doesn't give me the option to open a specific folder, at least when I click on it as a destination.....just shows the playbook option not the files inside.....I have a laptop with xp and my wife's running vista.......not much success yet with either
    01-01-13 07:32 AM
    Hey thanks everyone got it running.....one last question which I may put in a new thread. On my torch when I have a new pdf file, you can transfer it (shortcut) to your home Page on the phone for fast access. Any one know if that can be done with the playbook?
    01-01-13 08:32 AM
    According to the link the user name should be 'playbook' - try using that where it is asking for a password. Alternatively - on XP -- when you go to map a network drive - try to right click on the 'map a network drive' and see if comes up with a 'run as administrator option'.
    01-01-13 08:33 AM
    Glad to hear you got it working!
    01-01-13 08:34 AM
    Hey thanTks everyone got it running.....one last question which I may put in a new thread. On my torch when I have a new pdf file, you can transfer it (shortcut) to your home Page on the phone for fast access. Any one know if that can be done with the playbook?
    Not that I've ever found or heard of, but I've never done it on my bb either. That would be a neat feature - but I'm thinking it's unlikely so far on the pb. One area where the pb isn't strong is file management. Hopefully that improves a great deal with BB10.
    01-01-13 08:37 AM
    That is really strange. I do not own a PC, but i do assume it's the same. How are u connecting your playbook to your computer? Is it wireless? I always connect my wireless. Make sure on your device under storage and sharing , both the wifi sharing and the file sharing is on. At the About, under Network it should list IPv4 192.168.X.XXX. Thats the address you input in your pc to connect wireless.
    01-01-13 08:37 AM
    I figured something like that. And yes if you go into your files on your phone....the actual documents file not documents to go, youbcan have it show on homescreen.....at least on my torch 9810....thats how I have quick access to my work protocols. Hopefully that will come with bb10 like you said. Thanks again everyone for the help. BlackBerry people rock!
    01-01-13 09:29 AM
    Really, the only Icons (or shortcuts if you will) that the pb permits are Icons for Apps and the Browser can create HomePage Bookmarks. I've not seen any shortcuts to files (although, the Browser can open certain files, so I guess one could create Bookmarks to those files and place them on the Homepage (or inside folders or on the Second Pane/Panel). Ah, just tried, while you can create a Bookmark to a folder containing pdf files, since trying to open a pdf launches the Adobe pdf reader, you canNOT create a bookmark to a specific pdf file. You can do it for text and jpg files since the browser will display those directly - just did it.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-01-13 09:31 AM
    And yet another question.....I noticed when transferring files that one of the playbook folders was books. I tried transferring some ebooks onto the tablet but now can't find them. Is there a native spot on the tablet ot do you need to download an dreaded?
    01-01-13 02:30 PM
    I don't believe any particular app uses the "books" folder. Nook does NOT use it. You can store anything you want there!
    01-01-13 04:55 PM