Picked up another 16gb today (brand new..promotional giveaway, still sealed). After opening the box and turning it on, there was no set up, just the basic homescreen, and the amber/green LED stays on constantly. Any ideas?
    08-23-12 10:48 AM
    If the setup application didnt run, your Playbook has been turned on before. You could try a debrick through Desktop Manager to clear everything.
    DC506 likes this.
    08-23-12 10:50 AM
    Home screen? Seems it has been opened and setup. Is it plugged in for the led to be on?
    08-23-12 10:52 AM
    Home screen? Seems it has been opened and setup. Is it plugged in for the led to be on?
    Seems so. They did a good job of sealing the box again. Anyway, green LED all the time, plugged in or unplugged.
    08-23-12 11:04 AM
    I would do as Sith said and debrick it. With it off open dm plug pb in while off, choose update and or repair. Will erase everything. Also needs at least 20% battery before it will finish the setup.
    DC506 likes this.
    08-23-12 11:06 AM
    Did the debrick through DM. Same thing....no set up and Green LED on constantly.

Another funny thing, I looked closely at the tape sealing the box. There are two layers (it is a factory type seal, not just tape). Maybe a refurb?
    08-23-12 12:50 PM
    Update: Called RIM. They are replacing it. Sending a new one in 1-2 days.
    The tech on the phone had never heard of a green LED all the time.
    08-23-12 02:10 PM
    Great. I've haven't heard that one before either.
    08-23-12 03:07 PM
    Very strange, that's for sure. Before calling RIM, I did a total of 3 security wipes and 3 debricks/then updates through DM. Not one thing changed.

Here's a picture before I put it away.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-23-12 03:57 PM
    Just out of curosity..
    What does it do when you hook it up to the DM via USB?
    08-23-12 09:24 PM
    Nothing. Until I debricked and it asked to update it, which said it had errors,but to finish setup, which I couldn't. It turned into vicious cycle. (X3)

There are few other oddities too:
    1. The green LED stayed on constantly. Plugged in or not.
    2. The battery symbol showed a pronged connection when I used a rapid charger (3-pin). No lightning bolt. And didn't charge.
    3. Without going through set up as usual, I still set the time, but it would keep reverting back to Reykjavik, Iceland time (I'm in Canada)
    4. At first start up, the homescreen had maybe half the icons it should have
    5. I was able to go into settings, software updates, and update the OS from 2.0.1.358 to 2.0.1.358???
    6. After that update, I had more icons showing, but still no set up, and LED was still on.

This is my third PB so I was familiar with what "should" have happened when I start a new one.

Thanks to Sith_Apprentice and kbz1960 for the quick replies. The LED and no set up had me stumped.
    Last edited by DC506; 08-24-12 at 06:50 AM.
    08-24-12 06:41 AM
    update to the dev beta to see if that clears your issue. The reason you have no icons is that is a used and returned device. Someone did a wipe and/or OS load and all of the BAR files are not there. Updating to the latest beta should help you. If you continue to have the LED issue, I would exchange the device.
    08-24-12 06:44 AM
    update to the dev beta to see if that clears your issue. The reason you have no icons is that is a used and returned device. Someone did a wipe and/or OS load and all of the BAR files are not there. Updating to the latest beta should help you. If you continue to have the LED issue, I would exchange the device.
    RMA in progress. They call it an Advanced Exchange. New one to me, return the faulty PB in same box.
    08-24-12 06:55 AM
    Update: I received my new replacement PlayBook yesterday. It's LED isn't stuck on, the set up went smoothly, and it works like a charm. All I can say is, it was a positive RMA experience for me.
    08-28-12 07:19 AM
    Update: I received my new replacement PlayBook yesterday. It's LED isn't stuck on, the set up went smoothly, and it works like a charm. All I can say is, it was a positive RMA experience for me.
    Glad it resolved correctly.
    08-28-12 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD