Since I loved my 16GB Playbook so much, I decided to pick up a 64GB device on eBay. I was thrilled when it arrived on my doorstep this morning, but I am a little worried about the battery. First off, when I took it out of the box, the darn thing wouldn't even turn on. Every time I pressed the 'Power' button, a red light would come on for a few seconds followed by a yellow light that would blink 5 times. Nothing afterwards. So I plugged it into the wall charger for 3 hours. Still nothing. I tried holding down the 'Power' button for 20 secs. Nothing. I tried holding the 'Power' button, the + button, and the - button at the same time for 20 secs. Nothing again. The Playbook wouldn't turn on, plugged in or not.

Anyway, I connected it to my laptop, and with the Desktop Software I managed to update the OS on the device. Once that was taken care of, I immediately plugged it back into the wall charger, and after a couple of hours I finally got the Playbook to turn on.

But...the first thing I did was install Battery Guru, and I was shocked to see my Battery Health down at 70% (when the Recharge Count was still at '0'). What gives? Is this perhaps a refurbished unit that was sold to me? I tend to think not because of the Recharge Count, but who knows...

Since many of you know quite a lot about these technical issues, is my battery health on a brand new, factory-sealed device something I should be concerned about? Do you think RIM would replace it for me? Thanks in advance, guys.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-10-11 12:26 AM
    Give it sometime, I suggest that you first do a full night of charging and then when its upto 100% let the charge drain to 0% on its own. During this process keep the battery guru app running all along. Repeat the charge-recharge process a couple of times.
    Get the battery guru file from your PB and send it to support. Peter here will let you know if there are indeed any problems with your battery health, and after that you can get it replaced.

And offcourse the numbers dont always correspond to the real status of the battery.

Good luck.
    12-10-11 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD