So I just got back from Sears where I just purchased my playbook! I was speaking with the manager who told me that the price drop was because of a new model of playbook coming out in a week or two that are 3G equipped and have SD card support.

So maybe at devcon we may start seeing 3G playbooks being released, I personally am happy with wi-fi online the bridge beats paying for 2 data plans and I can live with out the sd card slot!

Take this with a grain of salt of course, we have all seen employee incompetence when it comes to the playbook (Staples employees anyone??)
    10-14-11 11:32 AM
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if RIM released a new model soon. While I love my Playbook its spec is now starting to lag a bit behind its competitors especially when Amazons Fire isn't a million miles away in terms of spec but is significantly cheaper.

If I were RIM I would be looking to increase the screen resolution, put in a faster CPU (not that the current one is slow but given over a year has passed so they should naturally be able to get a speed bump). I would also love an SD/uSD card slot which would be great because the addition of that would probably go hand in hand with USB host support.

However the most important thing is OS2. A hardware refresh really isn't going to change much for the Playbook as frankly the hardware is nicely made and apart from lacking 3G/sd card there aren't many flaws. Fix to freaking software and marketing though!
    10-14-11 11:43 AM
    The Sears manager was talking out of his a$$, there will never be SD card support with the Playbook. It's a security nightmare and would cause any government agency to instantly drop any plans for it, not to mention how enterprises would view this gaffe.
    TerribleTim68 likes this.
    10-14-11 11:57 AM
    @soren203, there have been a lot of speculation over 3G models, even if it comes, I think that will be only change (addition of 3G modem). From manager comments he seem to be indicating that they are clearing out the "old" PB because new one is coming, but even with 3G PB, there will still be option for wifi only PB (like ipad) so I don't see why wifi has to be discounted for 3G PB's release.

@fruitloaf
    Increase the screen resolution? Its a 7" screen and already has very high resolution for size. I hope they don't listen to you and release a PB 2 just to bump up the specs (which you say don't need bumping, and would be just for competition). It will be bad for current PB owners, because some "HD" apps that will take of higher screen resolution won't run on PB1. Same for programs that require fasters CPU or more RAM etc. And OS as well...old PB won't be able to upgrade to the latest greatest and you would require PB2...

@SharpieFiend
    BB's support SD card, so I don't know why you think it would be end-all for enterprise/government support? I guess BES has options to lock down the SD port on a BB? and they could provide same for PB if it ends up being BES compatible.
    Another thing here is I don't know if there are any no-camera model of PB? As you know BB comes with a no-camera model for enterprise/government that require it...but no no-camera PB that I know of...?
    10-14-11 12:30 PM
    The Sears manager was talking out of his a$$, there will never be SD card support with the Playbook. It's a security nightmare and would cause any government agency to instantly drop any plans for it, not to mention how enterprises would view this gaffe.
    Now who's talking out their a$$? Blackberry phones have SD card slots and I'd be really surprised if RIM drop that support when they bring QNX to phones. There are BES policies to disable the SD card slot if needed.

Assuming that RIM use a BES/BIS architecture to bring native email to the PB then they would naturally have to implement their standard security options which would presumably include the option to disable SD cards. Whatever way its cut eventually this support will have to be baked into QNX if BB phones are to use it.
    10-14-11 12:30 PM
    If theyre coming out with a new playbook, it needs a better on/off button. What a pain in the ***. A USB and a micro SD slot would be nice. Im sure Rim could make them special for governments to not have them or they could buy the original version.
    10-14-11 12:57 PM
    When i picked up my playbook at Bestbuy the manager stated they are supposed to get the new model end of Oct and that is why they had the sale. To make room for the new ones.

True or not don't know but he gave me the 64gig for $299 since i couldn't get a rain check for the 16gig due to they will not get this model in again with the new model coming.
    10-14-11 03:08 PM
    I don't think they would put an SD card slot in a playbook. they would not sell as many as the higher price playbooks because everyone would just buy a 16 gig model and then buy a SD card to expand, they would loose tons of $$$, because not as many ppl would buy the 32, 64 gig models. Why spend the extra $100 or $200 when u can spend an $20 and by a SD card
    10-14-11 03:25 PM
    IMO this whole topic is PURE SPECULATION.

>> Based upon RIM's last quarter statement they were in a high inventory position and low cash position. They said they were reducing inventory by giving price incentives before the end of the year. They canceled orders with their main supplier. If they were making a new model they would have continued some manufacture with the new model in the pipeline.

>> An SDcard is unlikely; RIM makes more profit on additional memory then they do with the base unit.

>> If the Sears manager was given that information then EVERYone would have been given the same information. Why is he the ONLY one to know?

>> Regarding 3G, if true the carriers would be already hyping the arrival. You need carriers to make it work. Sprint already said they would not be taking it. Reportedly 3G tablets have low consumer demand. Why would they discontinue a 'WIFI only' product IF that is what the consumers want?

>> If true, CB's Kevin would have been given an inside track from his friends at RIM. There is no use for RIM to make a 'surprise' announcement without having their insiders giving out information in advance.
    Last edited by mandony; 10-14-11 at 03:34 PM.
    10-14-11 03:28 PM
    To many posts about retailers advising this model is being discontinued for it not to be true. Harvey Norman Australia, retailers in the US and Canada, can so many retailers get it wrong?

Hopefully the price cuts cleared the inventory!

Interesting how Harvey Norman is clearing them at 50% off and ending it on Sunday, then DevCon starts on Tuesday.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-11 03:55 PM
    The obvious thing is that RIM will be putting v2 on all of their existing Playbook inventory, updating the packaging to reflect the current functionality, and do a relaunch of the device, probably alongside the 3G version.

Hopefully this time around they fix their marketing and pricing, which was absolutely incompetent.
    10-14-11 04:42 PM
    The obvious thing is that RIM will be putting v2 on all of their existing Playbook inventory, updating the packaging to reflect the current functionality.
    While they might be doing a new retail pak, the PB auto installs the current OS upon initial registration or reinstallations.
    10-14-11 08:14 PM
    When i picked up my playbook at Bestbuy the manager stated they are supposed to get the new model end of Oct and that is why they had the sale. To make room for the new ones.

True or not don't know but he gave me the 64gig for $299 since i couldn't get a rain check for the 16gig due to they will not get this model in again with the new model coming.
    You got a 64gb for $299??? Do tell? Which Bestbuy did you buy it at?
    10-19-11 03:55 AM
    To many posts about retailers advising this model is being discontinued for it not to be true. Harvey Norman Australia, retailers in the US and Canada, can so many retailers get it wrong?

Hopefully the price cuts cleared the inventory!

Interesting how Harvey Norman is clearing them at 50% off and ending it on Sunday, then DevCon starts on Tuesday.

Yep mate, that's exactly what i did on saturday. 64G for AU$398. Do i need a 3G model?..... Absolutely not. Tethering to my BB is just fine.

10-19-11 05:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD