They really should make one. I wonder whether Chen can be such a contrarian as to make a new tablet after BBRY got smacked on the first one.
    If they followed this philosophy, then they would have to stop selling BB10 phones because they have been "smacked" on those too. All the other platforms have tablets, BlackBerry needs to have one too, successful or not.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 07:35 PM
    I'd buy one in a second. Love the Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 07:37 PM
    I guess Blackberry should do like Sony with Xperia Z Ultra. Make a 6.5+ inch phone and release a non-radio wifi only version as a tablet. I would buy that, am actually thinking of buying a Z ultra as a tablet.

Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    This is the only way we will get another BlackBerry tablet any time soon. Make a huge 6+ inch all touch phablet phone and sell a WiFi only version too.

That way it's portrait oriented to avoid having to re-engineer the whole UI for landscape use. They'd just need to finally bring landscape to the Home screen and BBM, and make the Active Frames screen take advantage of the extra space in landscape orientation (rows of 4x4 instead of 2x2) and they are sorted.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    02-02-14 07:42 PM
    Seems like Blackberry phones are put together in several locations including Ganada. Also one pundit is looking forward to release of a newOS which he calls OS 11. If so any new tablet would presumably wait for this OS.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=5UGdIIg9

We may soon get more news on what FoxConn is doing with BB.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/lowcost-b...448322-11.html
    Last edited by jpash549; 02-02-14 at 09:06 PM.
    02-02-14 08:52 PM
    Seems like Blackberry phones are put together in several locations including Ganada. Also one pundit is looking forward to release of a newOS which he calls OS 11. If so any new tablet would presumably wait for this OS.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=-_eA2CT6
    This BlackBerry 11 nonsense is total horlicks. It's just that guy's way of getting more hits on his crappy blog article.

We will be lucky to see BB10.4 this year. Going by some of the major bugs with ActiveSync being reported in 10.2.1.1925 there will have to be a Maintenance Release for the Maintenance Release before 10.3 comes out

The BB10 platform will be around for a few years yet, it's not going to be like BBOS where every 18 months to 2 years there was a new major version number.

Think more like Apple's OS X. That's been on version 10.x for 13 years.

Last edited by johnnyuk; 02-04-14 at 07:54 PM.
    02-02-14 09:04 PM
    This BlackBerry 11 nonsense is total horlicks. It's just that guy's way of getting more hits on his crappy blog article.

We will be lucky to see BB10.4 this year. Going by some of the major bugs with ActiveSync being reported in 10.2.2.1925 there will have to be a Maintenance Release for the Maintenance Release before 10.3 comes out

The BB10 platform will be around for a few years yet, it's not going to be like BBOS where every 18 months to 2 years there was a new major version number.

That's exactly what I was thinking. BlackBerry has put too much into BB10 To come out with BB11. It'll be 10.xx for a long time into the future.

Posted via CB10 on Z30/10.2.1.1925
    02-02-14 09:31 PM

We will be lucky to see BB10.4 this year. Going by some of the major bugs with ActiveSync being reported in 10.2.2.1925 there will have to be a Maintenance Release for the Maintenance Release before 10.3 comes out

They might call it OS 11 even if it wasn't much more than OS 10.x. Windows 7 wasn't much more than Vista with the necessary patches but Microsoft had to get rid of the Vista blotch. You may know more about the blog guy than I do but there is nl doubt that something is going on between Foxconn and BB and I am looking forward to seeing what is revealed at the MWC. Apparently it will be a phone running OS 10.2. Certification has been gotten in a couple of places. Even if this phone is not available in the USA or wherever you are it could be the precursor for a tablet.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/01/fox...0-2-certified/
    02-02-14 09:31 PM
    Apparently it will be a phone running OS 10.2. Certification has been gotten in a couple of places. Even if this phone is not available in the USA or wherever you are it could be the precursor for a tablet.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/01/fox...0-2-certified/
    It's the Z5 codenamed Jakarta, but why would that be a precursor for a tablet?!

02-04-14 08:03 PM
    It's the Z5 codenamed Jakarta, but why would that be a precursor for a tablet?!

BecausevFoxConn has balls and BB only berries.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-04-14 09:31 PM
    BecausevFoxConn has balls and BB only berries.
    FoxConn will only build what BlackBerry ask them to, they won't be making BlackBerry devices all on their own.

BlackBerry's biggest problem in the tablet space is not the hardware problem, it's the software problem. BB10 is not tablet ready and lacks easy (and by that I mean bundled like BlackBerry World) access to the apps that everyone wants from a tablet.

You can just about sell a phone without easy access to all the apps people want because you can still use the phone as a phone. Tablets totally rely on apps to be useful.

A phablet is a good halfway house for BlackBerry to move in to this year.

02-06-14 05:25 PM
    They need a tablet. Plain and simple.

Posted Via Z10
    02-06-14 07:08 PM
    A phablet is pretty close to being a tablet. Foxconn and Blackberry will cooperate in deciding what should be built since the agreement calls for both of them to make money.
    02-06-14 07:17 PM
    A phablet is pretty close to being a tablet. Foxconn and Blackberry will cooperate in deciding what should be built since the agreement calls for both of them to make money.
    They are predominantly portrait orientation, like Z phones, that's what matters.

Otherwise BB10 will need lots of expensive development to make it work for a predominantly landscape orientation tablet, like the PlayBook was.

02-06-14 08:23 PM
    Well we wait to see what comes out of the Foxconn BB agreement. Even on a Phablet one must want to watch videos and other things in landscape mode. Why would they call it a Phablet if it was just a big phone?
    02-06-14 08:43 PM
    Well we wait to see what comes out of the Foxconn BB agreement. Even on a Phablet one must want to watch videos and other things in landscape mode. Why would they call it a Phablet if it was just a big phone?
    Think about BB10 the way it is right now. The Home Screen doesn't have landscape mode. The active frames screen doesn't either and would have to look and work differently or it would be weird to use in landscape. BBM has no landscape mode.

That's why a predominantly portrait orientation device, like a Phablet, is a good choice for BB10 right now. It won't need any reworking to suit landscape in all use cases as it already supports landscape in the ones that matter on a device you mainly hold in portrait; video, pictures, documents, Hub, browsing and games.

Last edited by johnnyuk; 02-07-14 at 02:36 PM.
    02-06-14 08:56 PM
    The debate as to what is a phone and what is a tablet that can make phone calls and when you should call the ******* child a phablet could go on and on. It is true that some sofware does not support most uses in landscape orientation as was true of Nexus 7 -2013 phone version as first issued which had a gui like the N4. But that has now changed as I understand it. But since I don't have a smart phone I abandon the field to you. My main point was that a tablet which might be strictly wifi but probably would have phone capabilities is not out of the question.is not out of the question which I still feel is true.
    02-06-14 09:23 PM
    How hard would it be for BlackBerry to build a new Playbook with two gigs of ram to so it would run BB10. With the same design so it would fit existing covers and accessories. Maybe add a usb port to the top. I hope someone from BlackBerry is reading this. There are a lot of beloved Playbooks out there that are going to need replacement soon.
    Last edited by mhyde2; 03-22-14 at 01:02 PM.
    03-22-14 03:56 AM
    all we need is a Playbook update that makes the apps 100% with BB10 so you run the same app store for phones and playbook, the BB10 keyboard and Android runtime; my playbook still works perfect.
    I agree with this. We are only asking for the updates to the PlayBook that are possible.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-22-14 05:57 AM
    bb have proved they can make an awsome tablet.there only problem is equipping that tablet with software in a complete package.that is the only p,ace where they failed with the playbook.they didn't finish of the software package that it ships with.I am typing this on my playbook now.I may be lucky as I havehad no major problems with my playbook,and still use it daily for surfing the web,email,watching films ,tv,taking photos,videos.most apps in the apple and playstore are downloaded and quickly deleted.I know this from my android phone and friends who own android or iphone.therefore it is a shame that a product wins or loses based on its app capability.where most people slate bb.they did mess up on the release of the playbook and that is a shame.as it is possibly the best hardware in comparible sized tablets out there.obviously it hasn't been updated and I believe if they had they would be out there with the best of them now
    03-23-14 11:24 AM
    I think a new tablet would wirk for bb this time as long as it is finished before release.
    03-23-14 12:09 PM
    How hard would it be for BlackBerry to build a new Playbook with two gigs of ram to so it would run BB10. With the same design so it would fit existing covers and accessories. Maybe add a usb port to the top. I hope someone from BlackBerry is reading this. There are a lot of beloved Playbooks out there that are going to need replacement soon.
    Next tablet will as thin and light as they can mame it fot the design specs. New covers will follow.
    03-23-14 12:40 PM
    bb have proved they can make an awsome tablet.there only problem is equipping that tablet with software in a complete package.that is the only p,ace where they failed with the playbook.they didn't finish of the software package that it ships with.I am typing this on my playbook now.I may be lucky as I havehad no major problems with my playbook,and still use it daily for surfing the web,email,watching films ,tv,taking photos,videos.most apps in the apple and playstore are downloaded and quickly deleted.I know this from my android phone and friends who own android or iphone.therefore it is a shame that a product wins or loses based on its app capability.where most people slate bb.they did mess up on the release of the playbook and that is a shame.as it is possibly the best hardware in comparible sized tablets out there.obviously it hasn't been updated and I believe if they had they would be out there with the best of them now
    I used to think I would buy a new PlayBook if they came out, but now I'm not so sure. I have my Z30 for work and communication and some play; if I were to get a tablet, it would mostly be for play. I love my Z30, but there are still a few workarounds here and there to get Android apps running properly, and some don't run at all. I would probably end up with an Android or IOS tablet.
    03-23-14 08:34 PM
    Thing is, with bridge the blackberry ecosystem is fundamentally different than others. I wouldn't waste time turning a future blackberry tablet into a stand alone 4g device. It should be a wifi device whose cell connectivity is delivered through bridge.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:38 AM
    Thing is, with bridge the blackberry ecosystem is fundamentally different than others. I wouldn't waste time turning a future blackberry tablet into a stand alone 4g device. It should be a wifi device whose cell connectivity is delivered through bridge.

Posted via CB10
    You have a point there.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 09:59 AM
    Sorry but I am unlikely to trust Blackberry again! My next tablet will almost certainly have to have an Android OS. I like my Playbook but so many things don't work! My new Android phone on the other hand does not stop amazing me. I find myself using my Smartphone for most things these days including web browsing and email and only really use my Playbook for watching recorded TV downloaded from my PVR
    Recorded TV downloaded from PVR? On Playbook? Do tell!

Posted via CB10 on BB10 from Q10
    04-08-15 05:25 PM
56 123