I purchased a second PB for family and the unit keeps attempting to update the software to version 1.0.8.6067, but it never gets past 1%-5% of the download before failing.

Has anyone experienced this today and does anyone have a solution?

I have a second PB right next to this unit and it is connected to the router and working fine.
    12-25-11 06:15 PM
    is it ur wifi issue? are you already on 6067? if so it might be u are delete an icon and it is telling to update to restore that icon.
    12-25-11 06:21 PM
    I do not think it is wifi. Signal strength is good and other PB works fine. Am not on 6067 - on older version 1.0.2 something
    12-25-11 06:49 PM
    Try using a PC and desktop manager if you can't do it over wifi. The older 1.02 may have connectivity problems with your router.

Before going the desktop route, try rebooting the router and playbook.
    12-25-11 06:58 PM
    I'm having this same problem.

I've tried rebooting my router, it gets stuck at different percentages. Once it got to 83%. Tried about 10 times now, really tired of it.

Desktop Manager says something like "You must pass the initial set up before using DM with this Playbook". Because this is the first update out of the box, it counts as set up, and so I can't use DM.

I've no idea what to do.
    12-30-11 12:18 AM
    i had the same problem and got tired of trying and returned it
    . the replacement updated perfectly.....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    12-30-11 12:25 AM
    my pb did that once it rebooted then updated, my new uverse sucks btw i always drop a signal i would try mcdonalds or starbucks wifi
    12-30-11 12:30 AM
    Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook off by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    kbz1960, FF22, Oushi1 and 1 others like this.
    12-30-11 03:33 AM

3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    I think I will "steal" your version and post that from now on!!!
    12-30-11 10:25 AM

Did this. DM at the end said it failed, so I turned the playbook on, and it seems it had been wiped.

I went through the entire set up again, got to the initial update stage and this time the update was 29MB instead of 360MB.

However, this time, it won't update at all. Not even 1%. Sigh.
    12-30-11 05:36 PM

Like F2 if you give permission I will steal this and use it. Very concise and clear.
    12-30-11 05:46 PM
    Like F2 if you give permission I will steal this and use it. Very concise and clear.
    Anything you want or need my dear, .. I have already posted this in the Sticky thread for Newbies.
    12-30-11 06:35 PM
    I think I will "steal" your version and post that from now on!!!
    Not a problem F2, anything for you It's also in the Newbie Sticky on the back pages. Sure beats typing it all out everytime.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-30-11 at 07:59 PM.
    12-30-11 06:38 PM
    Did this. DM at the end said it failed, so I turned the playbook on, and it seems it had been wiped.

I went through the entire set up again, got to the initial update stage and this time the update was 29MB instead of 360MB.

However, this time, it won't update at all. Not even 1%. Sigh.
    Are you using the Device Manager or the Blackberry Desk Top Software?
    12-30-11 06:40 PM
    I fixed it!

My problem was my router.

I have a BT HomeHub 2.0. I had to go into the hubs settings and change the wifi.

I can finally enjoy my PlayBook !

Here is the solution:

"I had exactly this issue too. The BT Home Hub 2 would allow the Blackberry to connect - and then after a few minutes of use the wireless connection from the BT Home Hub would be unavailble to ALL wireless devices, until the Hub was restarted.

The Blackberry would get a 'failed to obtain IP address' or 'failed to associate' or would simply not show the wireless connection at all.

Since I took the advice to go into the Home Hub settings, and drop the connection speed down to 802.11b/g rather than the default 802.11b/g/n it has been rock solid.

This drops the wireless speed down from around 100MBs to 54MBs - the difference is virtually undetecatable on laptops and games consoles, even when streaming video/iPlayer content."
    12-30-11 07:58 PM
    Not a problem F2, anything for you It's also in the Newbie Sticky on the back pages. Sure beats typing it all out every time.
    I've got a macro assigned to the Reboot instructions so I only have to enter Ctrl-Alt-R and it types it out. I guess I need one for Rim's contact info and another for Debrick.
    12-30-11 08:29 PM
    I've got a macro assigned to the Reboot instructions so I only have to enter Ctrl-Alt-R and it types it out. I guess I need one for Rim's contact info and another for Debrick.
    WTG!!! Macro away .. I got notes all over the screen.. LOL

You think we could 'get an app' for that? ..
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-30-11 at 08:43 PM.
    12-30-11 08:34 PM
    I use a program called Macro Express - it reminds me of Smartkey which I use to use on my Osborne and then in go ol' Dos.
    12-30-11 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD