Hey all, I just received my new PB in the mail but it won't turn on. I have it (trying to) charge and have tried both soft and hard resets. I've also tried plugging it into both my computer and using the AC adapter. However, no LED turns on while it's plugged in (and obviously when it's not plugged in there's no LED). Any suggestions?
    12-02-11 12:36 PM
    Might be a dumb question, but is your PB turned off (not standby) while you're charging it? My LED only turns on when the PB is powered off and plugged into the AC charger.

Also, from what I've read and tried, the PB will not charge via computer USB.
    12-02-11 12:49 PM
    Definitely use the AC charger, PB will not charge over a USB cable. Plugin the AC charger then do a three-finger reset for 10 long seconds (Power+VolumeUp+VolumeDown). This and other tips are mentioned in the sticky thread for newcomers. Like BlackJack said there, "if it seems faulty or dead, it probably isn't".

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4/#post6867863
    12-02-11 12:52 PM
    Definitely use the AC charger, PB will not charge over a USB cable. Plugin the AC charger then do a three-finger reset for 10 long seconds (Power+VolumeUp+VolumeDown). This and other tips are mentioned in the sticky thread for newcomers. Like BlackJack said there, "if it seems faulty or dead, it probably isn't".

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4/#post6867863
    I read that sticky, my concern is that when I plugged it in and tried the three-finger reset the red LED didn't flash at all. I'm gonna let it sit on the AC charger for a while and see what happens. Thanks
    12-02-11 12:57 PM
    I wonder if this is something related to what I experience with my Playbook...

1. When I plug in the Playbook while completely off, the red LED will turn on for a moment and then go off. If I /then/ try to use the power button to turn on the Playbook, it will /not/ turn on.

2. If I use the power button to turn on the Playbook first, /prior/ to plugging it in, it will turn on as expect and charging works as expected.

Basically, if you're going to use the Playbook while charging, turn it on before plugging it in... at least for mine... If you don't need to use it while charging, put it into Standby mode, then plug it in.
    12-02-11 01:39 PM
    Charge it for an hour+, disconnect the cable then try powering on.
    12-02-11 01:41 PM
    Is the fact that no red LED shows up at all significant? Not when charging, not when charger plugged in, not during a three-button reset?
    12-02-11 02:14 PM
    Could mean it's not actually charging at all (bad charging contact, bad battery, who knows).
    12-02-11 02:15 PM
    Is the fact that no red LED shows up at all significant? Not when charging, not when charger plugged in, not during a three-button reset?
    Red LED comes on for 2-3 seconds when:

1. charger is first plugged in (red LED indicates that charger was plugged in)
    2. power button is pressed and held for a second (red LED indicates Playbook is powering up)

I haven't done a three-button reset yet.
    12-02-11 02:24 PM
    If you have let it charge for a couple hours and it still will not start, you might want to call the Support line and have them help you.

I have seen in one post where support has asked a person to plug it in for a few seconds, unplug and then repeat until you see an led flash. I don't think the led stays on like your phone when charging if the playbook is in a shutdown state rather than suspended.

Also to repeat what was posted earlier, you need to use the Playbook charger to charge it, not the usb port of a computer or a phone charger.

If the charge port on your phone is the micro usb like the Playbook, you can test the Playbook charger by using it on your phone. The Playbook charger is the same as the Premium Charger sold for the phones. It will just charge your phone quicker.
    12-02-11 02:29 PM
    On a reboot - the red led is on for a very short time. Then BLACKNESS prevails for a while, then you may see some signs of life. Do not keep trying to re-press the power button.

You know, if some of these units sat in a warehouse for the last 6 months, they may need more time on the charger than expected.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    12-02-11 03:13 PM
    I just experienced what sounds like the same circle with my 9900, after the battery ran out (no surprise there) and the phone switched off by itself, I plugged it into the AC charger overnight.
    to my surprise in the morning it wouldn't switch on, eventually after a lot of messing about and panic and a few battery pulls, I discovered I needed to switch the phone on and then plug it in to the charger quickly before it shut off again.

maybe the latest opp systems are built this way.
    12-02-11 03:23 PM
    I believe the common theme is charge the PB for at least an hour before trying to use it the first time.
    12-02-11 03:25 PM
    I just experienced what sounds like the same circle with my 9900, after the battery ran out (no surprise there) and the phone switched off by itself, I plugged it into the AC charger overnight.
    to my surprise in the morning it wouldn't switch on, eventually after a lot of messing about and panic and a few battery pulls, I discovered I needed to switch the phone on and then plug it in to the charger quickly before it shut off again.

maybe the latest opp systems are built this way.
    A few years ago, I ran my 9650 totally down using the gps on a hike. It was more than dead. Even when plugged into a charger it showed no signs of life for more than an hour. No led, not power on/off - just plain dead. It recovered fine after that. Actually, it recovered better than I did - a 6 mile hike had turned into a 13 mile adventure!
    12-02-11 05:36 PM
    I am having the same problem as btn1111, except that I've had my Playbook for a couple of weeks, and mine was working fine until yesterday.

Last night, I turned on my Playbook and it seemed to be powering on as normal. The red light flashed and the Blackberry Playbook intro image was on the screen. But then all of a sudden the picture went black and the Playbook seemed to power off on its own.

I tried to turn it back on with the power button and nothing happened. I tried holding down the power button + Volume Up Button and still no picture, but it started playing music (really strange). Then the music stopped and the Playbook seemed to die. Then I tried the 3 button reset, and the Playbook made a quick clicking sound as if you're taking a picture, but still won't power on.

I thought maybe the battery was just dead, so I plugged it into the wall charger and let it sit overnight. No red light, nothing on the screen. This morning, the Playbook is in the same state. Won't power, no red light, and not sure if it is even charging.

I also tried plugging the Playbook into my computer and the computer doesn't even read it.

The strange thing is that if I attempt the 3-button reset, it still makes the camera clicking sound.

I don't know what else to do. Please help!
    12-03-11 09:26 AM
    I am having the same problem as btn1111, except that I've had my Playbook for a couple of weeks, and mine was working fine until yesterday.

Last night, I turned on my Playbook and it seemed to be powering on as normal. The red light flashed and the Blackberry Playbook intro image was on the screen. But then all of a sudden the picture went black and the Playbook seemed to power off on its own.

I tried to turn it back on with the power button and nothing happened. I tried holding down the power button + Volume Up Button and still no picture, but it started playing music (really strange). Then the music stopped and the Playbook seemed to die. Then I tried the 3 button reset, and the Playbook made a quick clicking sound as if you're taking a picture, but still won't power on.

I thought maybe the battery was just dead, so I plugged it into the wall charger and let it sit overnight. No red light, nothing on the screen. This morning, the Playbook is in the same state. Won't power, no red light, and not sure if it is even charging.

I also tried plugging the Playbook into my computer and the computer doesn't even read it.

The strange thing is that if I attempt the 3-button reset, it still makes the camera clicking sound.

I don't know what else to do. Please help!
    The clicking sound is for screen snapshot, that means the OS is running, just the screen is off.
    How long did you press vol up+vol down+power buttons? I would try 15 seconds for make sure, then press the power button to turn it on.
    If still cannot turn on, plug into your computer, try to see if your computer can make the connection.
    If not other solution, do a wipe and reinstallation via computer.
    If still can not solve your problem, my guess is maybe the screen going bad.
    gpaulc likes this.
    12-03-11 10:05 AM
    The clicking sound is for screen snapshot, that means the OS is running, just the screen is off.
    How long did you press vol up+vol down+power buttons? I would try 15 seconds for make sure, then press the power button to turn it on.
    If still cannot turn on, plug into your computer, try to see if your computer can make the connection.
    If not other solution, do a wipe and reinstallation via computer.
    If still can not solve your problem, my guess is maybe the screen going bad.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually just got my Playbook working again. All I did was take it out of the Otterbox case and tried the Power Button + Volume Up Reset, and this time it worked! It's really strange...maybe the power button wasn't getting enough contact through the Otterbox? But that still doesn't explain why the computer wouldn't read it. Also, once I got it back on, the battery was only 1/4 full, even though I had it charging overnight.

I don't get it, but I'm ecstatic that it's up and running again
    12-03-11 10:26 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually just got my Playbook working again. All I did was take it out of the Otterbox case and tried the Power Button + Volume Up Reset, and this time it worked! It's really strange...maybe the power button wasn't getting enough contact through the Otterbox? But that still doesn't explain why the computer wouldn't read it. Also, once I got it back on, the battery was only 1/4 full, even though I had it charging overnight.

I don't get it, but I'm ecstatic that it's up and running again
    Happy for you.
    The power button is small, but fortunately we don't use it much, thanks to the wipe gestures
    12-03-11 10:35 AM
    Iirc, when I got my PB initially it started up with no charging at all.
    12-03-11 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD