The offline map i used was very incomplete and didnt recognize the streets i was on.

But i bridge to use online maps and route, but if all the maps is recognized(street names and all), if i type the street name in the search area, its not recognized...

Any hints?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-17-12 10:46 AM
    Thanks for review OP I will try it.
    08-17-12 10:51 AM
    I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded a few maps but can't see any way to load them onto the screen. I just have a blank screen with my location and scale symbol. How do you load specific maps onto the screen?
    08-17-12 12:27 PM
    If you look in the upper replies will see the answer

Meanwhile i'll try to remember ^^

08-17-12 12:34 PM
    A while ago i setup(ed) this to use online maps and now i can't go back...

When i use it, i brigde so i can use the online maps...

Sorry i'm not a greater help...

08-17-12 12:45 PM
    I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded a few maps but can't see any way to load them onto the screen. I just have a blank screen with my location and scale symbol. How do you load specific maps onto the screen?
    It sounds like your GPS is not locked.

Now, if I am not mistaken. Map is brought up by your GPS location.

So first, make sure you have your GPS location. My PB64 with the .668 upgrade has a very quick GPS acquisition time (a big improvement over the previous version which can take a minute+). None the less, get your GPS locked. There is also an app called GPS Test to help verify the status of your GPS.

Once your get your GPS locked. You can switch between online map and offline map. Touch the blue earth on the top right corner. You will see the different map selection in a pop up window. If you don't see GoogleMaps as one of the selections, follow the Bobcat665 instruction in the next step. Otherwise, you can switch between GoogleMap and Offline vector map to see where you are.

I think the first thing you need to do in the menu system is go to Settings> Plugin Manager> Online Maps. Click the "Online Maps" option to enable your PB to download from online mapping sources, first and foremost: It's an orange "radio button". Then you have to go into Settings> Online Maps> and check the box next to "Online maps (tiles)". While you're in Settings> Online Maps go to the Settings> Online Maps> Tile map source sub menu and you'll find a list of map providers. At the very bottom of the list is an item called "Install more...". Click on the radio button next to it and there will be a list of more map providers *including* Google Maps.

It's bloody complicated, I know. Good luck!
    Hope this help. It is a lot of fun to get it working.
    08-18-12 06:28 AM
    i tried using this on my way to work today, got me here... do you know if there is a way to have say street names, with the turn by turn .. and I used the offline map, is there a better choice.
    If you mean a way for the voice navigation to say to turn on street name "turn right on Bank street" instead of just "turn right" "turn left". From my experience, none of the turn-by-turn product does that.

There is a choice to use online map like Google Map. There is also a choice to use online routing. So far, for me, I have found online routing works better than the off line routing, for either the online map or the offline map.

Once your get your GPS locked. You can switch between online map and offline map. Touch the blue earth on the top right corner. You will see the different map selection in a pop up window. If you don't see GoogleMaps as one of the selections, follow the Bobcat665 instruction in the next step. Otherwise, you can switch between GoogleMap and Offline vector map to see where you are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobcat665
    I think the first thing you need to do in the menu system is go to Settings> Plugin Manager> Online Maps. Click the "Online Maps" option to enable your PB to download from online mapping sources, first and foremost: It's an orange "radio button". Then you have to go into Settings> Online Maps> and check the box next to "Online maps (tiles)". While you're in Settings> Online Maps go to the Settings> Online Maps> Tile map source sub menu and you'll find a list of map providers. At the very bottom of the list is an item called "Install more...". Click on the radio button next to it and there will be a list of more map providers *including* Google Maps.

It's bloody complicated, I know. Good luck!
    Hope this help. It is a lot of fun to get it working.
    08-18-12 06:35 AM
    The offline map i used was very incomplete and didnt recognize the streets i was on.

But i bridge to use online maps and route, but if all the maps is recognized(street names and all), if i type the street name in the search area, its not recognized...

Any hints?

I generally test the offline map against the online Google Map.

If you cannot find the street name in the Google Map, then you have to give up.

If you can find the street on the GoogleMap and not the offline map then the offline map is incomplete.
    08-18-12 06:41 AM
    A while ago i setup(ed) this to use online maps and now i can't go back...

When i use it, i brigde so i can use the online maps...

Sorry i'm not a greater help...

To go back and forth online map and offline map, touch the blue earth button on the top right corner. A pop up menu will come up and you can make your selection.

Of course in your case, you have to bridge to get the Internet or use Wifi.
    ASH 787 likes this.
    08-18-12 06:43 AM
    Tks to you all

08-18-12 06:52 AM
    Is anyone running this on the 2.1 beta os?
    I am and so far so good.
    08-18-12 10:32 AM
    Does it require a separate Gps app ?
    08-25-12 07:00 AM
    Nope, it does the trick.

ASH 787 likes this.
    08-25-12 07:36 AM
    The blackberry playbook has the Osmand Playbook. Is it the same as the android version? Or is it different?
    08-25-12 09:37 PM
    The blackberry playbook has the Osmand Playbook. Is it the same as the android version? Or is it different?
    If you mean the one in the Appworld.. yes it is the Android version repackaged for Playvook running the android app vm..
    08-26-12 02:30 AM
    I just downloaded Osmand for the PlayBook, and a handful of maps.

1) What is the difference between the en and en-tts voice files/options?

2) I cannot search a street. I get the screen to enter the street name, the keyboard pops up, I enter the name and hit <return> but no joy.
    08-27-12 10:43 AM
    I can only help on 2), and even so, isn't a great help...

Since OsmAnd uses Open Street Maps, which are user submited, there are alot of flaws, which stops this great app from being even greater.

I had the same problem and asked the same questions, but the solution came from me, and its not optimal, but its the best:

When you want travel somewhere, find the spot on the Map(on the Playbook) and then go "Directions to here". Since the streets on the map have names, but they arent recognized by the app, its the only way to go.

You can also ask the dev, who replies very quickly.

Then post, because if theres a way for it to recognize street names, this app would 7 or 8 stars and not only 5 ^^

rlfisher likes this.
    08-27-12 02:29 PM
    Thanks, PedroBorgas for your helpful reply. How do I mark "here" on the map? I couldn't find "directions to here."

This all presumes I KNOW where the destination is -- it seems that if I KNEW where I was going, I wouldn't need directions!
    08-27-12 04:04 PM
    You need to be on the map and press where you want to go. Then a pop-up with the latitude/longitude appears and if you press it, you�ll open a new menu with some more options like "directions to here", "set as destiny", etc.

I guess(since i only used it to small trips to places i know) i would go to Google Maps, on the PC, find the place, and then "press" the spot and get directions to there.

But my advice is to try some small trips first, like to work(if applies).

Hope it helped.
    08-27-12 04:18 PM
    I guess one would have to zoom in over and over to get a reasonable "here's where I want to go" or else you could be blocks or even further away when you arrive.
    08-27-12 05:08 PM
    I posted the issue on the Osmand project, and was referred to this ticket:

Issue 1007 - osmand - Offline Search : San Hose street names not available - Map Viewing & Navigation based on Open Street Maps for mobile devices - Google Project Hosting

This is still very much a work-in-progress
    08-27-12 05:17 PM
    To search in Osmand, AFAIK, you can't search for a particular address, but you can for a particular street, and only from the maps that you've downloaded. . From the home screen, choose Search. Then, on the screen that appears, tap the House icon at the top. Then under search,tap the region bar and your downloaded maps will appear. Select the map you want to search. Then tap the city box, and start typing the name of the city- as you type, cities that begin with the letters you've typed will be listed- keep typing until you see the city you want and tap it. Then tap the street box and again start typing until you see the street you want. There is lastly a Choose Building box, but, AFAIK, it doesn't work, so ignore it or. if you want, change the value to "Intersecting Street" and then tap the box and do as before. Then choose "Show on Map" box and you'll be taken to your location.
    08-27-12 05:41 PM
    Thanks, that is the procedure I have been following, but the street box doesn't fill with anything. I think, per the Osmand forum, that there are problems with the California map.
    08-27-12 06:39 PM
    How come it's not TALKING to me? I grabbed 2 EN language packages. Which EN package do I want?
    08-27-12 06:43 PM
    Use the En-tts voice package (in settings/navigation/voice guidence)- it seems to work better. You need to get a route before it will start talking. Make sure sound is set to on- swipe down from top in map view.
    08-27-12 09:11 PM
184 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD