Osmand maps updated yesterday, and I took it out for a test drive today to see how well the navigation works. Two things that were immediately noticeable, that I don't think were there before (correct me if I'm wrong). The first is that you don't need to be online to calculate a route, and the second thing is that if you stray from your route, the app will automatically recalculate an alternative route (again, offline). The voice aided navigation is a little glitchy (understanding exactly what has been said) but overall seems to work pretty well. Also, in my test, the app didn't lose the GPS signal once, which has been a problem with Google Maps navigation. Overall, it seems to work well, and may now be a viable free voice guided navigation app for the PB.
    08-01-12 04:30 PM
    Nifty. Will have to give it a go.
    08-01-12 04:43 PM
    I tried it today also. I found pretty much the same things as you did. I give it thumbs up as the best gps navigation for the PB.
    calles likes this.
    08-01-12 04:43 PM
    Is this an Android App or native PlayBook application?
    08-01-12 06:55 PM
    Offline navigation was available in the previous version.
    08-01-12 07:00 PM
    Offline navigation was available in the previous version.
    It was available but I think you needed to be online to calculate a route, like you do with Google Maps.
    08-01-12 08:09 PM
    It is a native PB app available at App World for free.
    08-01-12 08:59 PM
    No.. It is an android port (atleast till the last verison.. I havent updated yet..)
    It is free though and hasn't crashed for me even once yet..
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    08-01-12 09:21 PM

Dude get your facts straight! As noted it is Android and when asked there needs to be an honest answer. I will be deleting it and putting a warning in a review.

Had the Android question been answered honestly I would not have installed it or have ever been in involved in this thread.

Pure Blackberry by choice.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 08-02-12 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
    08-02-12 01:11 AM
    Android app/port, unfortunately.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    08-02-12 01:32 AM
    Not clear why you are so fussed that it is android? Does app work or not? I have plenty of android loaded apps that I use daily ...Many of which run better than native ones...including tapatalk which I'm using to post this note right now.

Note that I'm running beta 2.1 which is more stable for android and apps run individually in separate windows.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    StanWiz, EricB1968 and esk369 like this.
    08-02-12 06:09 AM
    It was available but I think you needed to be online to calculate a route, like you do with Google Maps.
    It calculated offline also but the use test beta box had to be ticked of.
    08-02-12 06:54 AM
    As noted it is Android. I will be deleting it and putting a warning in a review.
    Why does a review for that app need a warning from you other than you wanting to flex you're pure blackberry ? Sounds childish.
    08-02-12 07:18 AM
    Dude get your facts straight! As noted it is Android and when asked there needs to be an honest answer. I will be deleting it and putting a warning in a review.

Had the Android question been answered honestly I would not have installed it or have ever been in involved in this thread.

Sorry if I S_ _t in your corn flakes.
    Carl Estes and esk369 like this.
    08-02-12 10:59 AM

Maybe he did not know it was Android app? IMO many people think that android apps are the ones you sideload while appworld has all native..

And the appworld submitter has his hands tied as far as I know cos last I knew RIM needs the developer to remove all references to "Android" from the app itslef and the app description..
    1. You could always have done some research yourself before installing-> Google search "OsmAnd" go to their website and first line says "OsmAnd is a turn by turn navigation application for Android Devices with online/offline features."
    2. Simply uninstall if you installed without going through the point (1)above..
    But giving a negative review for nothing is just plain wrong IMO..
    08-02-12 01:43 PM
    Why does a review for that app need a warning...
    Because there are other people who want nothing to do with Android apps who may not read CB, and would nonetheless prefer to be able to make an informed choice.
    Cracklen likes this.
    08-02-12 02:10 PM
    I have downloaded the app and the 500mb map but wish to delete it as it is too big for my 16gb playbook, problem is I can delete the app but not the map ! I cant find it to delete it !
    Can anyone help ??
    08-02-12 04:37 PM

Hey Dude it said nothing on BlackBerry App World about it being Android yesterday when I downloaded it. I see the last post today gives it a knock for being Android.
    08-02-12 04:42 PM
    Good to know about this app. Thanks OP.
    EricB1968 and esk369 like this.
    08-02-12 04:49 PM

haha it sounds ridiculous
    08-02-12 04:58 PM
    Good to know about this app. Thanks OP.
    ^^^^What he said. Thanks OP
    08-02-12 07:20 PM
    Sorry its not about flaming it is about being able to choose instead of someone else choosing for me. Actually that is adult where being steered by non disclosure is what is childish.

As for the dev having to remove all references to Android...well the picture in App World could show the Abdroid Player border like other apps.

I make no criticism towards the OP, the dev or the app. My only point is freedom of choice.
    08-02-12 11:57 PM
    I just installed OsmAnd.
    So far it works very well.
    I too would rather my apps were native Playbook rather than Android ports because of the Android player problems. The only time I ever have to reboot my Playbook is because the Android player has stopped responding.
    I do wish that AppWorld made this obvious, especially for paid apps, but this app was free so if you don't like it delete it. No big deal.
    fanatical likes this.
    08-03-12 07:26 AM
    Yes - I asked, because I am not all that in favor of Android on the PB. When given a choice I support the native app developers and pay for the app. I have a few Android apps, myself, that if I had known they were I might not have downloaded them from Appworld. If I had wanted to run Android I would have bought an android device instead of a PB. I really wish they would indicate in Appworld which apps are android ports.
    fanatical likes this.
    08-03-12 07:31 AM
    I too would rather my apps were native Playbook rather than Android ports because of the Android player problems. The only time I ever have to reboot my Playbook is because the Android player has stopped responding.
    As anyone who is running 2.1 beta will likely tell you, this is no longer a problem. Android apps run very stable and the player virtually never locks up.
    Harryl6134 and beavertail2 like this.
    08-03-12 09:21 AM
184 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD