I'm just starting out with OsmAnd and picked up the 0.8.3 version on appworld on PB OS 2.1.0.1088. Have not tried any of the previous versions.

My experience with 0.8.3 is not all that good..
    - Crashed 2 times while trying to set up voice options after planning a route, including right after a clean device reboot. I allowed my device to send logs those first two times (did not get asked about subsequent crashes)
    - Got an out of free memory prompt while planning a route using the offline osmand routing option, with no other apps open on the device (results in a crash)
    - Crashed a couple of times while trying to plan different routes (without the out of memory warning, just exited with no warnings)
    - Worked while navigating home last night (5Km in a straight line), but crashed 3 times while driving to work with a far away destination set (to provoke recalculations while driving).
    - While navigating I see my position indicated with a blue triangle, but there is also a red triangle on the screen that makes no sense at all, seems to be stuck at a fixed position on the screen.
    - Map rendering is also painfully slow, but I could live with that if the app was stable..

On the bright side, this is the only option I have found so far that will let me both download map data and search it offline (google maps will download map tiles but you can't search without a data connection). I was impressed with the detail level of the maps and the offline search capabilities, but at this point navigating just doesn't work.

Is there a previous version available that is more stable?
    11-13-12 08:53 AM
    You have Nogago Maps that is very similar to Osmand (almost the same UI) and, as far as I remember, quite faster at refreshing. But I see I had discarded it too (it lies deep in a "other maps" folder -which means I tried and renounced...)
    The only safe mapper I use today is MapDroyd, that actually shows me where I am with no crashes and a simple UI (but no directions).
    (I also installed Magellan Compass, just to find the local map caching mechanism is definitely unusable, at least to me...)
    11-13-12 09:49 AM
    Go into the file system of your playbook. Under misc/android/osmand you'll find all the maps you have downloaded. Also, the world base map is under misc/android/voice for me at least.
    Thanks - I was looking to do same thing. I had downloaded 1Gb of maps and wanted them gone!

I tried Osmand, but really it was not usable. The maps were terrible. I tried to enter a major road in Myrtle Beach, SC and it was not listed. I tried various roads in vicinity, and eventually found one listed. I entered that and it appeared on map. I then scrolled over and found that some of the other roads including their names, were on the map but they did not show up when trying to enter a destination. the maps were also missing several roads.

I also tried Osmand near our home in Canada. Asked it to navigate to our golf course (which was listed!). It started off OK, but then went a mile past the turn onto the golf course road, did a U-turn, and then came back and turned at the correct turn!

With so many cheap real car nav GPSs available that work flawlessly, no need to mess with this sort of stuff. Unless of course a proper commercial auto nav program becomes available. (I used to have one called iNav iGuidance on my Compaq iPaq - it still works, but map updates were discontinued. It was as good as stand alone GPSs. No reason why something similar would not work on PB. But Osmand is not it.
    01-23-13 01:39 PM
    It is the only app I have found so far which can make PlayBook GPS work. I tried Google Maps 6.2 but they keep on searching satellites for ever despite in bridge mode with my Torch 9810.
    07-12-13 03:45 PM
    It is the only app I have found so far which can make PlayBook GPS work. I tried Google Maps 6.2 but they keep on searching satellites for ever despite in bridge mode with my Torch 9810.
    I've been responding in another thread today about some of the same issues. My best success, including turn-by-turn navigation with voice, has been with a sideloaded version of Google Maps (I think 6.1, although there's a newer version dated yesterday on Goodereader I haven't tried yet) . But to make sure my PB has been "located", I use the GPS Test app from BB World. If you have a clear sky view, GPS Test "locates" very quickly, and then so does Google Maps. However, I have yet to depend on any of the PB-based navigation solutions, as they all seem to have either mapping or GPS issues. Fortunately, the 9900 has both Traffic and now Navigator, at least here in the US.
    07-12-13 04:11 PM
    I've been responding in another thread today about some of the same issues. My best success, including turn-by-turn navigation with voice, has been with a sideloaded version of Google Maps (I think 6.1, although there's a newer version dated yesterday on Goodereader I haven't tried yet) . But to make sure my PB has been "located", I use the GPS Test app from BB World. If you have a clear sky view, GPS Test "locates" very quickly, and then so does Google Maps. However, I have yet to depend on any of the PB-based navigation solutions, as they all seem to have either mapping or GPS issues. Fortunately, the 9900 has both Traffic and now Navigator, at least here in the US.
    What is Navigator? Free or paid? I looked quickly but did not find it.
    07-12-13 05:33 PM
    What is Navigator? Free or paid? I looked quickly but did not find it.
    I think I originally found it for my 9900 in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. It's apparently available in Europe (or at least the UK), but may still be in Beta in the US. It's not showing in BB World as of yet. It's a TomTom-based combination of BlackBerry Traffic (which still works) and BlackBerry Maps, and has some of the similarities that exist in AT&T's TeleNav. At least the Beta version was free. I don't know if it's available for BB10.

Edit:

F2, here's how I found it:

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/03/1...a-zone-os-6-0/
    07-12-13 05:53 PM
    I think I originally found it for my 9900 in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. It's apparently available in Europe (or at least the UK), but may still be in Beta in the US. It's not showing in BB World as of yet. It's a TomTom-based combination of BlackBerry Traffic (which still works) and BlackBerry Maps, and has some of the similarities that exist in AT&T's TeleNav. At least the Beta version was free. I don't know if it's available for BB10.

Edit:

F2, here's how I found it:

Free BlackBerry Navigator Expands to US, Canada, & More Countries in Beta Zone (OS 6.0+) - BerryReview
    Thanks for the links and info. Does not seem to exist - either in appworld or in the beta programs anymore. I wonder if it is out there in the wild!
    07-12-13 07:24 PM
    i can compile open streetmaps. if its okay with you. and its GPL and its for free and it comes with absolutely no warranty whatsoever. if you are yes with it? let me know i can compile it and make it as a bar file.
    thanks!
    -paul
    p.s. you must use the nmea mode. and also since this is not agps. you MUST turn the nmea feature on. and also navit and gpsdrive for day to day life and even sea surfing :-) thanks!
    07-12-13 07:55 PM
184 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD