I think the first thing you need to do in the menu system is go to Settings> Plugin Manager> Online Maps. Click the "Online Maps" option to enable your PB to download from online mapping sources, first and foremost: It's an orange "radio button". Then you have to go into Settings> Online Maps> and check the box next to "Online maps (tiles)". While you're in Settings> Online Maps go to the Settings> Online Maps> Tile map source sub menu and you'll find a list of map providers. At the very bottom of the list is an item called "Install more...". Click on the radio button next to it and there will be a list of more map providers *including* Google Maps.

It's bloody complicated, I know. Good luck!
    OK, I got it with what you wrote. So it seems I have the settings to download Google Maps. How do I actually download it now from Google Maps? Sorry for being thick.
    08-09-12 09:11 AM
    OK, I got it with what you wrote. So it seems I have the settings to download Google Maps. How do I actually download it now from Google Maps? Sorry for being thick.
    OK, I got it. Wow, really slick. There was a country place where I did not have any info and now I have!!!

One more step is to select 'GoogleMaps' in the "Tile map source", which is in the "Map source setting", which is in "Online Maps".

Great, thanks very much, great help.

I suppose the GoogleMap only available online and perhaps in cache only. Is there a way to save it as offline to supplement the OSM?
    Bobcat665 and chevee like this.
    08-09-12 09:20 AM
    I downloaded the Navigator app a few weeks ago, and it seems to use the same map source (OSM). I downloaded all of the relevant maps (2+ gig I believe), but OsmAnd doesn't "see" them, and I'd rather not download another set. Any suggestions?
    08-09-12 09:57 AM
    Crashed on me first go around... But ill give it a try for a bit!! Been using goodle maps (latitude) lately, seems to be working very well
    08-09-12 11:49 AM

I suppose the GoogleMap only available online and perhaps in cache only. Is there a way to save it as offline to supplement the OSM?

Have you tried it now, as offline?

I'm going to try that too... Hope it completes the OSM maps...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-09-12 12:09 PM
    Can i bridge to OsmAnd?

08-09-12 02:15 PM
    It's part of the legalese that you cannot download and cache large parts of data from Google Maps. The Terms of Usage pretty much forbid it. You'll need to use the so-called offline vector maps for that. Sorry folks!
    08-09-12 06:09 PM
    I downloaded the Navigator app a few weeks ago, and it seems to use the same map source (OSM). I downloaded all of the relevant maps (2+ gig I believe), but OsmAnd doesn't "see" them, and I'd rather not download another set. Any suggestions?
    Try the online map as suggested by Bobcat. I picked the Google Map and the navigation seems to be better. Not sure if it is the map or the new "YOURS" routing I changed to?

I am really impressed and happy with this app for the Playbook. One of my major wants.

I run 2.0.1.668. It is great.

BTW, I checked the LTE Playbook. Its software version is 2.0.1.668.
    08-09-12 09:57 PM
    It's part of the legalese that you cannot download and cache large parts of data from Google Maps. The Terms of Usage pretty much forbid it. You'll need to use the so-called offline vector maps for that. Sorry folks!
    I don't know if it is the Google Maps or the "YOURS" routing choice. It doesn't think I am driving on the wrong side any more. Before, it keeps telling me to keep left, keep left in a panic way.

Dumb question: What is YOURS stands for?

Thanks.
    08-09-12 10:00 PM
    Can i bridge to OsmAnd?
    As I had mentioned in my opening comments, bridging worked very well between the app, the PlayBook and my Torch 9860. YMMV...
    08-09-12 11:56 PM
    As I had mentioned in my opening comments, bridging worked very well between the app, the PlayBook and my Torch 9860. YMMV...

I should've asked this:" Can" i bridge with my 8520?

Is it fast enough?

*How much data does it use?*

*edit*
    Last edited by PedroBorgas; 08-10-12 at 02:06 AM.
    08-10-12 01:37 AM
    Today i'm going to try to go on a little trip(25 km) using cached maps from Google maps! Let's see if it recs the streets name...

08-12-12 08:41 AM
    So,

I tried it, but only for a 4km trip.

It doesnt recommend the fastest route, but it sure got me there!

But, i had to bridge because it couldnt calculate the route only using the cached maps...

Now i just to know how much data does it spend...

08-12-12 10:08 AM
    So,

I tried it, but only for a 4km trip.

But, i had to bridge because it couldnt calculate the route only using the cached maps...

Now i just to know how much data does it spend...

Sounds like you are making progress. I ran into some glitch - it said it could not use two US state maps I had downloaded. But I tried again and it seemed to find my location on the map.
    08-12-12 01:31 PM
    thanks OP will have to check this out. I personally do not care if its a port from android, as long as it works solidly...
    08-12-12 01:45 PM
    I have downloaded the app and the 500mb map but wish to delete it as it is too big for my 16gb playbook, problem is I can delete the app but not the map ! I cant find it to delete it !
    Can anyone help ??
    The downloaded file should have been put into one of the android download folders, perhaps by the program from where it is used, but not always.
    I found the best free file manager which can locate and delete those type of files is
    Ghost Commander (from appWorld)
    08-12-12 01:54 PM
    Sounds like you are making progress.
    Yeah... But i cached a lot of the Google Map, so it only to bridge for the route. I recommend you to do the same, so it doesnt spend that much data.

I ran into some glitch - it said it could not use two US state maps I had downloaded. But I tried again and it seemed to find my location on the map.

And yeah, sometimes a restart solves the deal! Or a uninstall and reinstall ^^

08-12-12 04:13 PM
    So,

Did you turn on the "fastest route" option in the Navigation setting?

I just want to summarize what I have found so far.

First I list all the options:
    1) For maps, you can use online map or offline map. Online map you have a choice of using Google maps, Mapnik, CycleMap or others. Offline map you can download from the Open Source Map.
    2) For routing, you can use online routing or offline routing. Online routing, I have Cloudmade and YOURS. Offline routing is Osmand.

For online, it means you have Internet connection. Offline means no Internet connection.

So there are a few combinations.
    1) Online map with online routing
    2) Online map with offline routing
    3) Offline map with online routing
    4) offline map with offline routing

The routings all work.

For the voice navigation,
    #1 works perfectly, along with rerouting.
    #2 and #3, I believe works fine. I need to try it again. Easily confused when there are some many options.
    #4 has some bugs. I suppose being offline there is no frequent update and map information is a bit out of date.

In conclusion, Osmand is better than the Google Map already. Osmand can do the Google baseline (online map with online routing). Osmand outshines Google navigation in terms of rerouting.
    Osmand will be one more step ahead of Google map when it perfects its offline voice navigation. It is 90% there as it is still in 0.8.1 beta. I look forward for the first release of the Osmand.

Hope this help. Go and have fun with the Osmand on your Playbook!!!
    08-12-12 07:08 PM
    I'm gonna try the fastest route then

Again, i loved the experience, even with my old 8520 bridging to the PB, but my fear is that i pass my 300 mb limit someday.

It's been great so far, but i only used it in little trips to places i already know the way...

08-13-12 04:30 AM
    Did you turn on the "fastest route" option in the Navigation setting?

I just want to summarize what I have found so far.

First I list all the options:
    1) For maps, you can use online map or offline map. Online map you have a choice of using Google maps, Mapnik, CycleMap or others. Offline map you can download from the Open Source Map.
    2) For routing, you can use online routing or offline routing. Online routing, I have Cloudmade and YOURS. Offline routing is Osmand.

For online, it means you have Internet connection. Offline means no Internet connection.

So there are a few combinations.
    1) Online map with online routing
    2) Online map with offline routing
    3) Offline map with online routing
    4) offline map with offline routing

The routings all work.

For the voice navigation,
    #1 works perfectly, along with rerouting.
    #2 and #3, I believe works fine. I need to try it again. Easily confused when there are some many options.
    #4 has some bugs. I suppose being offline there is no frequent update and map information is a bit out of date.

In conclusion, Osmand is better than the Google Map already. Osmand can do the Google baseline (online map with online routing). Osmand outshines Google navigation in terms of rerouting.
    Osmand will be one more step ahead of Google map when it perfects its offline voice navigation. It is 90% there as it is still in 0.8.1 beta. I look forward for the first release of the Osmand.

Hope this help. Go and have fun with the Osmand on your Playbook!!!

OK more findings. Online routing works great with online or offline map.

Offline routing is buggy for online or offline map. It has the "keep left" voice guidance.

Even though the Osmand tech said it was fixed...an old bug.
    08-15-12 12:08 PM

Offline routing is buggy for online or offline map. It has the "keep left" voice guidance.
    Under Settings/General Settings, make sure "Left-hand driving" box is unchecked.
    08-15-12 01:32 PM
    For those of you actually using it, what is your strategy for keeping the screen on ?

gail
    08-15-12 02:28 PM
    Under Settings/General Settings, make sure "Left-hand driving" box is unchecked.
    I thought that was the cause too the first day I used it. It doesn't make a difference.

I briefly drive on the left hand side, probably not long enough to register, as a car was coming.

I am happy the way it is now with online routing. It has reroute which is better than what I can get on the Android phone.

Give it time, the offline routing would be fixed. Then it will be a huge bonus.
    08-16-12 03:12 AM
    For those of you actually using it, what is your strategy for keeping the screen on ?

gail
    I just set the screen time out to be long and touch the screen every now and then.

On highway driving, actually I don't mind it to be off as it saves battery.
    08-16-12 03:14 AM
    i tried using this on my way to work today, got me here... do you know if there is a way to have say street names, with the turn by turn .. and I used the offline map, is there a better choice.
    08-17-12 10:36 AM
184 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD