OsmAnd (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) : They say that on their official site..
    OSM being Open Street Maps..
    What AppWorld is missing is search by function. Right now, it seems it is just search by name. So if you don't know what you are looking for, then you are out of luck. I was lucky to have read this thread and found it. How many useful apps like this that are not being found by the search in the AppWorld?
    08-05-12 09:38 AM
    Did you update to 668?

When I was on 3xx, I couldn't get the GPS to work inside my house or it takes 90 sec to sync. Once on the 668, I got it much quicker inside the house.
    I noticed this too, still took awhile but got a lock in a reasonable amount of time
    08-05-12 10:53 AM
    Hmmm sounds good.... Downloading now
    08-05-12 11:11 AM
    Have been using OsmAnd for some time now. To me, it's better than all the others that are available for PB. Most importantly, it's very good in rerouting.
    08-05-12 11:47 AM
    It works

Tks !
    08-05-12 02:53 PM
    I was out of town today so I took the chance to test the off-line (no Wi-Fi, no Internet) navigation on thte Playbok with the OSMand. It works great. It uses the map stored in the Playbook and calculate a routing all by itself. All the Playbook needed is the GPS.

GPS is crucial. We had thunderstorm today so sky was dark and cloudy. The GPS was lost and the program has a bit of hard time. There was a compass option. I then turned it on. Still not sure if that makes things better or the sun just came out. Have to test some more.

There is a speeding warning feature. When doing over 9 km/hr over 100 km/hr limit, a red circle with the speed limit shows on the screen to remind the driver that he is over the speed limit.

There is also a lane changing warning. Approaching a highway exit, the two left lanes are in yellow, the right lane is clear. Yellow means 'warning' should not be on these lanes, start switching. A little closer, the yellow turns in to red. Now you have to change lane quick.

To assist the GPS acquisition, I will keep my moon roof open. I find that helps.

I am very happy with the OSMand. There are a lot of switches and knobs. So take you time to learn and explore. Have fun.
    08-05-12 08:20 PM
    Yeah, you wont get it at the first shot, but you'll get there...

But, is there anyway i can improve my signal? For free I don't have a "moon top" on my car lol

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-06-12 03:01 AM
    How do i get new maps for this?

It doesn�t recognize where i live...

Even if i have to pay, i would like an updated map...
    08-06-12 01:15 PM
    Did you update to 668?

When I was on 3xx, I couldn't get the GPS to work inside my house or it takes 90 sec to sync. Once on the 668, I got it much quicker inside the house.

I find in general, cloudy day is bad for GPS outside for my Android phone and Playbook.
    Even with 668 it doesnt recognize my position when i�m home...
    08-06-12 01:17 PM
    how come we dont even get google maps??
    Maxthon browser will open up a big window for you, including the Google Map!

I like Maxthon. It is a unified browser for the PC, mobile and tablet.

BTW: Have you tried the native Bing Map. For map and direction, it works well but not as good as the OSMand.

I think the OSMand is the king navigation app. That is all I need.

There are 20 ios navigation apps? How many do you use?

Personally, I just need one good one. Quantity of navigation apps is immaterial. A lot of them are probably incomplete. Nothing competes with Google, until OSMand.
    08-06-12 05:20 PM

BTW: Have you tried the native Bing Map. For map and direction, it works well but not as good as the OSMand.

I think the OSMand is the king navigation app. That is all I need.

There are 20 ios navigation apps? How many do you use?

Personally, I just need one good one. Quantity of navigation apps is immaterial. A lot of them are probably incomplete. Nothing competes with Google, until OSMand.

Do you know how to get new maps?

It doesnt recognize we're i live... In the app, my house is in the middle of nowhere... I would like to fix that and get this cool app at its full power...

08-06-12 05:26 PM
    I'll have to do some playing with it. My wife kept arguing with it.......problem is, my wife was right. Navigation is really the only thing I miss from my Droid.
    08-06-12 05:28 PM
    Do you know how to get new maps?

It doesnt recognize we're i live... In the app, my house is in the middle of nowhere... I would like to fix that and get this cool app at its full power...

Well, I am a 3-day old user. I don't have an answer for you.

But...let me ask you this.

Are there roads leading to your house? Is it a brand new subdivision? What is the closest point where the OSMand map is nearest to your house. Can you use that point as a temporary home base?

Can you get your GPS co-ordinate from the 'GPS Test' app. Then go to the OSMand search menu, choose the 'dot' format, input your latitude and longitude. See where that gets you.

Logically, OSMand can only route when it has information. If you are in their blank space, then you will not be able to do it. The best is to choose the nearest point where it is on the map and use that as a temporary home base.

If you mean how to get them to make a new map for you, you need to contact them.

Can you tell me which continent you live?

Hope this help.
    08-06-12 06:09 PM
    I'll have to do some playing with it. My wife kept arguing with it.......problem is, my wife was right. Navigation is really the only thing I miss from my Droid.
    It is okay if the gps software gives a circuitous route as long as it is not excessively circuitous. Many of us know backways that can be more efficient or more practical. But you do have to have confidence that it will actually reasonably get you to your destination. Sometimes it is nice to be able to quickly check against a REAL (meaning paper) map and I rarely travel without one anyway.

I know that I've relied on my standalone TomTom (it has all of the maps internally) for a number of trips including European trips and it has been very, very reliable. But we did purchase a paper map that was available for consultation.

So far, from what I've read and reviewed, I am not so sure about gps apps for the pb. Hopefully, it will come - the size would be terrific. But I want all of the maps and routing OFFLINE once the maps are acquired.
    08-06-12 06:10 PM
    I have been using my wife's PB64. I will have to soon get my own.

Today I built a solid car mount for the PB. I am ready to rock and roll, do road trip.

Last time I went to Boston, I used my Android phone Google navigation to plan a route. Everything was loaded in cache. It worked great, no need for Internet, going down. Except, coming back, I had assumed that I can do the reverse in an Internet wi-fi place. No no. I was flying blind coming back and had to drop into visitor centers from State to State to collect paper maps, lol.

With the OSMand, I can go to UK and will not have a similar problem.

The beauty of my PB...oh my wife's PB.

Navigation on the Android phone is nice. It is much nicer on a bigger screen PB.

7" fits perfectly in the car.
    08-06-12 06:18 PM
    I want all of the maps and routing OFFLINE once the maps are acquired.
    F2,

It does!!!

I was so excited when I found the OSMand for the PB.

It does exactly what you are asking for. You can download maps of different region of interest. Then you can route off line without Internet, much like Tom-Tom, except for free and PB has a much bigger screen. They have maps around the world you can download.

In terms of routing, there are a number of switches. There is off line routing (Osmand offlin) like I said. There are others (Mapnip, Cloudmade, OpenRouteService) which I think would require Internet.

For routing, there is a switch for 'fastest route'. For fast, it picks highway. For non-fast, it picks the shortest route. Yesterday, it took me on an unpaved road which is 7km shorter, lol.

I doubt it very much it will give you a circuitous route. When you select the point of interest, make sure it is not nearby but exactly on the spot. One time, I was sloppy and put the point in the middle of the highway, instead of a shopping mall next to it. I got some funny routing, lol.

Able to acquire GPS is the key. I found the .668 update makes the GPS acquisition fast. However, dark sky, heavy cloud is a problem. I suppose it is a problem for all the GPS devices. Have you ever experienced GPS problem with your Tom-Tom?

One tip: I find if I open my moon roof, it helps the GPS.

Have fun.
    08-06-12 06:33 PM
    The Tom-Tom has been very reliable. Only tunnels and maybe very narrow canyons phase it, oh, and parking garages! I think it may have a better antenna than the pb - it does pretty well inside a car. I do know certain windshields with that "metallic" screening (to cut down sun) like on trains can impede satellite reception. Sky conditions can affect gps but not that often. Wet tree leaves definitely can. Usually once my hiking garmin gets a lock it can hold it but some narrow canyons or dense forest will hamper it initially.

On a hike a few weeks ago, my friend's android phone could not get a signal and we were in pretty open terrain. My bbphone got one for a photo without issue. Who knows.

I had Osmand and grabbed an upgrade a week or so ago but it appears my maps disappeared??? I will have to give it another shot. So many toys, so little time!
    08-06-12 09:09 PM
    Well, I am a 3-day old user. I don't have an answer for you.

But...let me ask you this.

Are there roads leading to your house? Is it a brand new subdivision? What is the closest point where the OSMand map is nearest to your house. Can you use that point as a temporary home base?

Can you get your GPS co-ordinate from the 'GPS Test' app. Then go to the OSMand search menu, choose the 'dot' format, input your latitude and longitude. See where that gets you.

Logically, OSMand can only route when it has information. If you are in their blank space, then you will not be able to do it. The best is to choose the nearest point where it is on the map and use that as a temporary home base.

If you mean how to get them to make a new map for you, you need to contact them.

Can you tell me which continent you live?

Hope this help.
    Nop, no subdivisions. I was on a recognized road, took a left, and then looked like i was taking a shortcut in a game's map Lol

It litteraly took me nowhere... And when i got there, it had the blue arrow(my position), but it said that it doesnt knew where i was...

I live in Portugal, Europe, in a small village called Paio Pires. For the app, my village has only one road lolol

It's kinda sad, for me to finally find a good GPS app, and then to be forgotten by the devs...

I will send them an email,but if you could help me meanwhile, i would aprecciate it

08-07-12 12:44 AM
    The Tom-Tom has been very reliable. Only tunnels and maybe very narrow canyons phase it, oh, and parking garages! I think it may have a better antenna than the pb - it does pretty well inside a car. I do know certain windshields with that "metallic" screening (to cut down sun) like on trains can impede satellite reception. Sky conditions can affect gps but not that often. Wet tree leaves definitely can. Usually once my hiking garmin gets a lock it can hold it but some narrow canyons or dense forest will hamper it initially.

On a hike a few weeks ago, my friend's android phone could not get a signal and we were in pretty open terrain. My bbphone got one for a photo without issue. Who knows.

I had Osmand and grabbed an upgrade a week or so ago but it appears my maps disappeared??? I will have to give it another shot. So many toys, so little time!
    Hmmmm...GPS antenna. Instead of using the Bluetooth, I have an external earphone plug-in option from my car deck. Wonder if I plug in that headphone cable to the PB, if it might help. Probably not the right wavelength, but I know some phone uses the headphone cable as the FM antenna.

More testing...

BTW: My HTC Android phone does take a bit of effort to sync up in the open. I use 'My Tracks' for running. The track comes out all jig jag and end up with more mileage than it actually is. For some, it is a good feature.
    08-07-12 01:17 AM
    Nop, no subdivisions. I was on a recognized road, took a left, and then looked like i was taking a shortcut in a game's map Lol

It litteraly took me nowhere... And when i got there, it had the blue arrow(my position), but it said that it doesnt knew where i was...

I live in Portugal, Europe, in a small village called Paio Pires. For the app, my village has only one road lolol

It's kinda sad, for me to finally find a good GPS app, and then to be forgotten by the devs...

I will send them an email,but if you could help me meanwhile, i would aprecciate it

Can you see your place from Google Map? Can you get direction to your castle from the Google Map? Are you living on top of some secret military base?

I went to Google Map and typed in Paio Pires, Portugal. It is no small village...it is a city near Bairro da Cruz! Do I have the right place?
    08-07-12 01:28 AM
    I only moved there this year, but i lived around. Anw, i never heard about Bairro do Cruz.

Paio Pires is like 4 km near Seixal, Setubal(Setubal is the District,Seixal is the "county").

If the Paio Pires you found is near, maybe its the one :s (I'm not home right now, and not even near a computer, and my 8520 doesnt bridge very fast...). Sorry, but i cant help you help me more than this ^^

Can you provide me the support email?(again, not near a computer, but with an email sending phone lol)

I could send an email in the meantime.

08-07-12 02:25 AM
    So, i got near a computer(no a fast one, no fit for googling maps) and found the support email - [email protected].

I also found something intriguing in the online version the App World(via blackberry.com):

- Turns out there's a 1.3 also free version, but when i dld my version this last saturday it was a 0.8 beta...

What are your versions?

Anyone know how to get the 1.3? Maybe the maps are updated there...

08-07-12 02:57 AM
    Turns out there's a 1.3 also free version, but when i dld my version this last saturday it was a 0.8 beta...

What are your versions?
    I have .8.1 beta.
    After reading what you wrote about 1.3. I went to AppWorld and saw 1.3. So I uninstall the old one and then reinstall from the AppWorld. However, it still come up as 0.8.1 beta.

Strange.
    08-07-12 08:04 AM
    Lol , yeah, weird...

Maybe it's 1.3 for Android an .81 for PB... dunno :s

08-07-12 08:15 AM
    1.3 seems to be the Appworld package number (What the guy has put who packaged it and put it in appworld)
    The original app is at 0.8.1 official release (for Andorid).. youcan check this on their official website..
    So the app itself will show you 0.8.1 (what the real app binary/ apk is..) While the appworld / PB application manager will say 1.3 (What the person who ported has put in the .bar)
    08-07-12 09:23 AM
184 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD