As anyone who is running 2.1 beta will likely tell you, this is no longer a problem. Android apps run very stable and the player virtually never locks up.
    Yep, haven't had an android crash since 2.1 came out. Personally I couldn't care less if it's android or native. If an application is android ,or is better than a native one, why not use it?
    EricB1968, Harryl6134 and esk369 like this.
    08-03-12 09:26 AM
    I have downloaded the app and the 500mb map but wish to delete it as it is too big for my 16gb playbook, problem is I can delete the app but not the map ! I cant find it to delete it !
    Can anyone help ??
    Go into the file system of your playbook. Under misc/android/osmand you'll find all the maps you have downloaded. Also, the world base map is under misc/android/voice for me at least.
    08-04-12 08:31 AM
    I know that android app is no the best choice, but current playbook sdk offerings doesn't provide proper features for navigation app like tomtom, navigon, garmin, igo and others. I hope that BB10 will change that.
    08-04-12 08:48 AM
    I used this yesterday after finding this thread and I guess its just me but not very intuitive at all but once I had the destination and my current location mapped it worked fine. Magellan Compass is better IMO but I don't think it has offline maps (although I think it caches them)

For free I guess I can't complain and as for it being an Android app it didn't crash or anything. It was as reliable as my GPS signal on 2.0.1
    08-04-12 08:50 AM
    So, you set the way at home and then took the PB to the car with you?

Or did you bridged?

I've been trying to make it work for a long time...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-04-12 09:00 AM
    Is anyone running this on the 2.1 beta os?
    amiteo likes this.
    08-04-12 10:14 AM
    So, you set the way at home and then took the PB to the car with you?

Or did you bridged?

I've been trying to make it work for a long time...

Don't know if you are asking me but here goes:

What I did was download the map for my area from the swipe down menu "Settings" while on my home WIFI and when I was in the car I had to wait for the GPS to lock on my location.

To search an address you need to select "Search" from the swipe down menu and click on the house icon to fill in the address information

click on show on "set as destination"

but you need to go back to the swipe down menu and select "More" and then "Location options" then either "directions to here" or "show route from here"

What I do is wait for the GPS to find my location then do the address stuff then from the swipe menu select More and choose "show route from here" From the next window that pops up click on the car and "follow" to have the GPS follow you on the map.

EDIT: I didn't use bridge or WIFI hotspot once in the car
    PedroBorgas and beavertail2 like this.
    08-04-12 10:25 AM
    Is anyone running this on the 2.1 beta os?
    I have been since 2.1 came out. Works fine (that's relative of course )
    andyJH likes this.
    08-04-12 10:27 AM
    Weird. I installed this after reading this thread. The icon is there but nothing happens when I press it. Same thing with the wordpress app. I assumed it was a beta os issue.
    08-04-12 10:30 AM
    I am happy to find this. I am trying it now. Downloaded fine. Running right now. Downloading offline map...

This is something I have been looking for. Hope it works.

How would others find this navigation app when the name 'Oasmand' doesn't imply anything about navigation but a person's name.
    08-04-12 11:27 AM
    ^
    I would guess the name is Open Street Maps Android, thus the osmand
    beavertail2 and Carl Estes like this.
    08-04-12 11:54 AM
    OK... I'm thick...
    My map display is blank and white. If I zoom out, I can see approx where I am in relation to water nearby but no roads or features are displayed.

EDIT...
    Fixed it with overlay settings. But now it won't route to my destination because my starting point is too far away from a road!
    Grrrr...
    Last edited by canuckvoip; 08-04-12 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fixed but new problem
    08-04-12 01:10 PM
    Tk you very much

Will try that!

08-04-12 05:01 PM
    FWIW. probably the easiest way to navigate is to find your destination on the map, then tap and hold on your destination. A box will pop up- choose "Set As Destination". Then swipe from top and choose "Directions" and then "follow". The app will then calculate a route. As to needing wifi or a data connection that has been mentioned, the whole reason I started this thread is that no internet connection is needed to either calculate or navigate a route. This to me was new after the latest update (although someone mentioned it was available in the beta navigation before but had to be activated in settings). The other thing was that it could recalculate a route if you stray off course, again without an internet connection.
    08-04-12 05:23 PM
    What I do is wait for the GPS to find my location then do the address stuff then from the swipe menu select More and choose "show route from here" From the next window that pops up click on the car and "follow" to have the GPS follow you on the map.
    TThe Gps can�t locate my whereabout atm...

Any thoughts?

I dld the maps and what you wrote, but it still doesnt work...

Help
    08-04-12 05:29 PM

Any thoughts?

Help
    Try going outdoors.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    08-04-12 05:33 PM
    Ok,

will try that tomorrow, but i would be very thankfull to you all if it did worked since i've been trying to get a gps for a long time...

I will report...

08-04-12 05:48 PM
    Finally got it working. Had to uninstall/reinstall twice.
    Went for a drive and it worked quite well. Voice seems a little terse.
    At one point it wanted me to pull a u turn. Ridiculous.
    Time will tell, need to try it some more.
    08-04-12 08:45 PM
    How would others find this navigation app when the name 'Oasmand' doesn't imply anything about navigation but a person's name.
    OsmAnd (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) : They say that on their official site..
    OSM being Open Street Maps..

Even i've been waiting for a while to try it out on the streets..
    08-04-12 10:27 PM
    I just hope Osmand can fix screen dimming/sleep during navigation
    08-05-12 05:40 AM
    Gonna give this a try today, looks very promising.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    08-05-12 06:25 AM
    I just hope Osmand can fix screen dimming/sleep during navigation
    there are apps in the appworld that 'keep your screen on' . just search for it !
    08-05-12 06:32 AM
    there are two options for voice guidance, recorded and TTS (text to speech) you have to download them separately. Hopefully the recorded is better than the TTS lol

Also there is an option for a native renderer but the PB doesn't have access to those libraries since its not a true Android tab.
    08-05-12 07:19 AM
    ^
    I would guess the name is Open Street Maps Android, thus the osmand
    Thank you.

I had searched AppWorld under navigation and did not see Osmand. AppWorld should be able to search by function and not just search by name. Great app like this one can be missed by a lot of people. Then the bashers will say there are no apps for the Playbook, lol.

I used it. It is great. I have found a shorter way to one of my usual trip by 7km! I am very happy about it. Going to install a first class (my own design) Playbook mount in my car today. Woohoo.

Next time I go to UK. I can have the map stored in my Playbook.

So far the two great finds for me are Maxthon browser (a unified browser across PC, mobile and tablet) and Osmand.

Question: Will I have less worry about being tracked by Osmand then Google? Google, you have to agree they can use your data, meaning tracking you where you have been.

Oh, a funny story. When I first use it yesterday, it kept telling me to go left. I thought that is strange. Last night a light bulb came on, I had selected 'left hand driving'. I love all the switched and knobs.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    08-05-12 08:32 AM

Any thoughts?

Help
    Did you update to 668?

When I was on 3xx, I couldn't get the GPS to work inside my house or it takes 90 sec to sync. Once on the 668, I got it much quicker inside the house.

I find in general, cloudy day is bad for GPS outside for my Android phone and Playbook.
    08-05-12 09:28 AM
184 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD