I just wanna say a huge thanks to Crackberry Kevin & crew for Blogging the event, it has opened up a whole issue with regards to development and what RIM needs to keep in mind.The competition is no longer a 2 horse race since Amazon really mean business, and now is the time for apps and major OS refinement I have no doubt the BB10 can and should be a success, and I for one have waited for my upgrade so just like the playbook I will be one of the first in the queue. please RIM make it special and set the benchmark all over again.
    James Nieves likes this.
    09-06-12 04:15 PM
    The new kindles are really going to hurt the already weak pb sales as well as the nexus 7 and upcoming ipad mini...
    09-06-12 04:21 PM
    Thanks for the kudos on the live blog! We have a new system in place, so it was good practice for me to get ready for the BBJam keynote later this month!

If you missed it you can watch the replay here:

Amazon Kindle Event | Mobile Nations
    09-06-12 04:27 PM
    7" HD Display
    $199 - 16gb
    $249 - 32gb

8.9" HD display
    $299 - 16gb
    $369 - 32gb
    09-06-12 04:29 PM
    Its sad really pb is great hardware, that comes with an incomplete os with no ecosystem to speak of. Leaving room for the other guys to take the 7 inch market by storm. The original kindle fire and nexus 7 most likely outsold pbs already. And the iPad mini will most likely sell 2 million unites in the first week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    brianatbb, Magnesus and bodjor like this.
    09-06-12 04:49 PM
    People keep saying how great things are before they are even out. I remember people talking how great the Kindle Fire was. When I was able to try one, found it to be awful. I liked the Nook Tablet better, then the PlayBook dropped in price, so I got that.
    alan510, squished18 and Old_Mil like this.
    09-06-12 05:14 PM
    Its sad really pb is great hardware, that comes with an incomplete os with no ecosystem to speak of. Leaving room for the other guys to take the 7 inch market by storm. The original kindle fire and nexus 7 most likely outsold pbs already. And the iPad mini will most likely sell 2 million unites in the first week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Ya, I just don't know how the playbook will survive anymore in today's market. When the pb first came out there was very little competition in the 7 inch tablet space. Now you can get top not hardware for under 200 bucks. I'm keeping my playbook for BB10 but rim is in real trouble if they don't close the app gap in blackberry 10...
    brianatbb and Syrous44 like this.
    09-06-12 05:20 PM
    This is really good for the consumers and essentially closes the door for most vendors without scale to compete in this rapidly growing tablet market.

Google can certainly take a minor loss of income toward securing a seat in shaping up this targeted consumption market. Apple have enough market and scale in everything they do to easily adsorb the loss of margin. Microsoft can fund the project till it goes somewhere similar to their continued investment in XBOX division. How would other vendors be able to participate in this market and not expecting to make a loss? For RIM, question would be how they are going to sustain the loss competing in this market without other massive stream of income?
    09-06-12 05:20 PM
    I have a playbook and I like it, I have an new iPad and I like it more. I do much more enjoy the size of my playbook, however not having the apps I like to use is killing my playbook use. Everything I want to do I can do with the iPad, gps in truck, control my home theater, control my multiroom music and do what I need with emails. C'mon Rim, get with the times already.
    09-06-12 05:23 PM
    I just read that all of the new Kindles are ad-supported. That's so awful, but not too surprising considering that's how Amazon makes a ton of money.

I can't think of anything worse than having pop-ups and ads be unavoidable on my tablet. I'm sure ad revenue is what helps keep the cost of the new Kindles relatively low, but still... I'll wait for whatever tablet RIM makes next. No way do I want ads as part of my user experience.
    Last edited by SK122387; 09-07-12 at 04:28 PM.
    09-06-12 05:31 PM
    One of the major flaws I can see is that basic apps like Amazon Kindle app or Skype (esp in UK) are not available. If these became available 1 hurdle would be crossed. I am hoping that BB10 is a major update but I would not mind owning both. You do not really hear of kids buying in app purchases on the playbook as you do on apple products etc

But Amazon edge is that the Kindle family is heavily steeped in the Amazon shop

I have not given up on my PB still new to me though
    09-06-12 05:33 PM
    I read this on the AC forum tonight, quoting from the Amazon fluff:

Stay in Touch with Front-Facing HD Camera

The new Kindle Fire HD features a front-facing HD camera. Skype created a customized app tailored for Kindle Fire HD that is ready to use out of the box for free HD video calls at home and abroad. Kindle Fire HD makes it easy for the over 500 million customers already using Skype to get in touch with friends and family.

So apparently the guys at Amazon get a call back when they call over to Skype...
    09-06-12 06:15 PM
    Amazon has an advantage over all the other tablet makers. They can afford to sell them at near cost because their real money is made from book and retail sales. This is not a good thing for the public.
    09-06-12 06:26 PM
    One of the major flaws I can see is that basic apps like Amazon Kindle app or Skype (esp in UK) are not available. If these became available 1 hurdle would be crossed. I am hoping that BB10 is a major update but I would not mind owning both. You do not really hear of kids buying in app purchases on the playbook as you do on apple products etc

But Amazon edge is that the Kindle family is heavily steeped in the Amazon shop
    It's funny how different ppl are. Personally I have never used Skype and I strongly dislike the whole Kindle proprietary stuff so I'm very happy with my pb and my sony ereader.
    DC506, anon(3641385) and kbz1960 like this.
    09-06-12 06:28 PM
    It has many nice features but.......

Looks like no rear camera and can only playback 720p.
    I have not seen any info if wifi model has gps.
    Looks like it does not come with a charger only usb cable.
    Being ad-supported will be a big turn-off for many including me.

kbz1960 likes this.
    09-06-12 06:31 PM
    Amazon has an advantage over all the other tablet makers. They can afford to sell them at near cost because their real money is made from book and retail sales. This is not a good thing for the public.
    How so? Apple isn't struggling to sell tablets due amazon's pricing model.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 06:45 PM
    The PB was DOA and with every new tablet release from different companies, the PB becomes more and more irrelevant even at the low price it's at.

The PB had decent hardware on release, but the software was severely lacking. The software hasn't improved that much while the competition does a lot better in this respect - and now the hardware no longer stacks up.

It's hard to justify buying a PB even at $99.
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    09-06-12 06:56 PM
    The PB was DOA and with every new tablet release from different companies, the PB becomes more and more irrelevant even at the low price it's at.

The PB had decent hardware on release, but the software was severely lacking. The software hasn't improved that much while the competition does a lot better in this respect - and now the hardware no longer stacks up.

It's hard to justify buying a PB even at $99.
    Ya, but show me a tablet that lets me compose multiple emails at the same time, multiple Citrix sessions at the same time with a easy swipe down, and playing YouTube at the same time when checking something in the browser.

The PlayBook is 1.5 years old. Obviously the spec's getting old, but functionalities still prett dam good. Depends on what you want out of your tablet. I have an ICS tablet and an ICS phone and I still spend a lot of time on my PlayBook...
    09-06-12 07:07 PM
    PB is pretty much done at this point. It is not a question whether PB that is in your hand will stop functioning, ( it will not!!), but whether RIM can continue competing in this market segment. Without a tablet user base, RIM will have serious issue competing for the third place in the Mobile computing OS. Love it or hate it, I see window of opportunity closing for RIM.
    Akuji_ism and Syrous44 like this.
    09-06-12 07:17 PM
    How so? Apple isn't struggling to sell tablets due amazon's pricing model.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    If the innovative companies aren't able to make a reasonable profit selling tablets then the market will be deluted down to very few choices. I don't see HTC or even Samsung buying media companies to level the playing field. Even Apple can't compete with Amazons merchandise system. They have a big advantage with what they have in place. I haven't seen the full specs of all their new devices but if they put out a high end tablet with all the specs of a Galaxy Tab, they would be able to undercut everyone else in the market. And not just by a little bit either.
    09-06-12 07:21 PM
    As was said, the PlayBook is last years hardware. All the tabs from last year are basically obsolete, yet the PB still makes the comparison charts, and it's still got game.

The overall sense for me today was "Holey Crap!" I said it repeatedly, while reading the blog. I wasn't even there, and I was blown away by the presentation, never mind the product.

When Thorsten takes the stage to reveal the first line of BB10 devices, we need those "Holey Crap" moments. One makes you pay attention, two makes you shake your head in disbelief, and three makes you pre-order online.

I would only get one to take advantage of the developer community that is guaranteed to root and create awesome ROMs for this device.
    smartie88 likes this.
    09-06-12 07:22 PM
    I warned you guys this was coming.
    Its not just skype , but more.... Two speakers like the PB, dolby sound, HDMI out....

I kept saying that the hardware advantages of the PB would only exist for 1 generation of tablets then the competition would catch up.. And that we needed the hot, popular apps to get ahead. Now a measily pathetic book reader sports as good of specs as the PB but still whips it in the apps department. All that we have are unkept promises, delays, and stories about "oh, that app is coming but RIM just hasn't admitted it" yet.

Pee on the fire, call in the dogs, RIM didn't even try to play in this stadium. They need to stick to phones and maaaaaybe salavage that hope.

PB is pretty much done at this point. It is not a question whether PB that is in your hand will stop functioning, ( it will not!!), but whether RIM can continue competing in this market segment. Without a tablet user base, RIM will have serious issue competing for the third place in the Mobile computing OS. Love it or hate it, I see window of opportunity closing for RIM.

Window of oppurtunity for RIM on tablets is closed. They dragged their feet, delayed, fumbled, screwed up and let a frigg'n book reader pass it up. They can't even get out a stinking pathetic minor update without it screwing up so many tablets they had to pull it. More and more third parties are ending support of blackberry products and now kid's hand held gaming devices and a book reader get apps this device can't.

This is yet another reason why they are losing marketshare, losing third party support, the stock price is in the crosshairs of corporate raiders....
    Last edited by kb5zht; 09-06-12 at 07:55 PM.
    09-06-12 07:46 PM
    As mentioned previously... functionality and the OS should be the deciding factor on a smarphone or tablet..... there will always be someting better being released... that is the nature of innovation.... just because it is new or has better specs does not mean it is better for the user....Especially if it is running that same OS......

I am in the computer business.... when I client asks me about upgrading to the latest and greatest computer... I answer back with a question "is your computer doing everyiting you want it to'... If it does why upgrade..... lose sales... but happy customers....

the whole business model in consumer electronics market is "what you have is not good enough".... If you do not have the latest and greatest device then you are being left behind... and people in the millions buy into it....

Take the IPad for example... I have an original... have had use of Ipad2 and new Ipad on numerous occasions... are some things fancier and faster... somewhat... there is the odd functions that the New Ipad can do but from an app standpoint... I see little or no difference... so why upgrade if my "old" Ipad serves me well... remember... when IOS6 comes out they will be on all 3 versions of Ipad... so again why should I upgrade....

As I have posted previously... I have a Torch 9800.... does absolutely everything i want... Till BB10 comes out and shows me it is worth updating I do not intnend to do so.... Played with Samsung and Apple smartphones... really flashy ... but again for me it is not about money but functionally......

As for the playbook.... if you believe you are being left behind by owning a Playbook and it is not doing it for you... why not upgrade to a different platform..... ablsolutly nothing wring with doing so... we do it with cars, houses, various electroncis.... so why should your Playbook be any different???? If you has a good run on it be happy and more on.....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 09-06-12 at 08:00 PM.
    09-06-12 07:53 PM
    Wow! An almost entire troll thread!

Excuse me while I ignore it.
    alan510, homer1475 and melander like this.
    09-06-12 07:54 PM
    Wow! An almost entire troll thread!

Excuse me while I ignore it.
    Can't handle the truth.

I see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Syrous44 and bodjor like this.
    09-06-12 07:59 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD