The only reason I would refresh my tablet would be to get a faster processor, although this one it's pretty good already, but my main thing would be a MUCH better screen, like retina display or even kindle hd, sounds so tempting, but my playbook os is the feature to.stay around and after all.
    This also depends on what you use the tablet for. One of the problems with the MBPR is that the resolution makes it sluggish for games. Obviously 1280x720 or higher is much better than 1024x600, particularly for movies and TV shows, but after that, a resolution much higher could actually be a hindrance, unless the GPU is really powerful.

The Adreno 320 that comes with the S4 Pro is supposed to be Xbox 360/PS3 level of graphics, and neither the 360 nor the PS3 could consistently output 1080P native, they were even often upscaling from 640P to 720P, so the odds that a tablet could really take advantage of the extra resolution for anything graphically intensive.

I think we might be waiting for another 1-2 years before a 1900x1200 tablet can perform as well as a 1280x800 tablet.
    09-08-12 01:06 AM
    a resolution much higher could actually be a hindrance, unless the GPU is really powerful.
    In case of Kindle Fire HD the GPU IS really powerful. It's the same as in the new iPad but with less pixels to worry about.

I think we might be waiting for another 1-2 years before a 1900x1200 tablet can perform as well as a 1280x800 tablet.
    Change it to half a year. New GPUs for this are almost ready. The one in new iPad and Kindle Fire HD is only the beginning.
    09-08-12 01:39 AM
    Read what you said in your post carefully, you said the point of bridge was for connection to data. That is true however it's main focus was to offer functionality to things like BBM and native calender, etc. You said the comment about bridge being stupid was "ignorant", you are wrong. It was completely stupid to not have those features built into the playbook. My comment makes perfect sense and is not random, you just read it as it was without backtracking to what you said earlier, how's that for "ignorance"?
    Ok this is the last response to this post from me. The reasons you state are true but not the only reason for the bridge. It also allows for someone the get a non wifi signal. Very useful to the people who need the internet while on the go. You are making an argument where there isn't one. You keep bringing up BBM and calenders so how is this? You say that BBM should have been native but it wasn't, however, when RIM gave a way to get it via bridging it was a stupid idea. Now this is so far of the topic that I am done.
    09-08-12 01:54 AM
    Ok this is the last response to this post from me. The reasons you state are true but not the only reason for the bridge. It also allows for someone the get a non wifi signal. Very useful to the people who need the internet while on the go. You are making an argument where there isn't one. You keep bringing up BBM and calenders so how is this? You say that BBM should have been native but it wasn't, however, when RIM gave a way to get it via bridging it was a stupid idea. Now this is so far of the topic that I am done.
    in the beginning the bridge didnt have BBM either, for a year it didnt have PIM applications. The bridge also only supported a couple programs. It was until many updates later that the bridge would basically support any data functioning app. I think the bridge has evolved hugely but in the beginning it was really a quick solution to PIM applications and that was about all it could be used for.
    09-08-12 04:52 AM
    This comment was a failure. The whole point of the bridge was to give the user the ability to use the data plan from their phone without having an addition data plan.
    You are completely wrong. The purpose of bridge was to provide PB owners to get access to email and calendar (PIM), to at least BB owners. The data plan access was a good bonus.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 09-08-12 at 09:18 AM.
    09-08-12 07:58 AM
    I thought the real reason for bridge is that the current infrastructure simply does not support one Id on multiple devices and everything else stems from that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    09-08-12 08:08 AM
    I do think things look a bit dangerous for RIM - it's been looking that way for a while - and new tablets with a well known name from a very popular e-retailer could be the death knell. I hope not but we will have to wait and see.

I've only had my PB three months (I was concerned about RIM back then too) but someone I know who tries lots of gadgets recommended it very highly.

I really like my PB! Not had a tablet before and wasn't actually expecting to use it so much. I have a couple of niggles but basically it suits me really well. However I think I'm perhaps not the most typical customer with the most typical wants and I can see how these new Kindle Fires could capture the market.

I don't wish I'd waited to get one as my PB serves me well - (and I could get it 40 pounds cheaper now but I don't mind as I've really enjoyed using it these past three months).

It's possible I might want something different in a year or so's time. By then lots of people will have tried the kindles, nexus, mini ipad etc so I'd know better which of them (in probably newer versions) appealed to me . Or you never know it might be a newer Blackberry tablet. Just have to wait and see how RIM gets on.
    09-08-12 08:25 AM
    I do think things look a bit dangerous for RIM - it's been looking that way for a while - and new tablets with a well known name from a very popular e-retailer could be the death knell. I hope not but we will have to wait and see.

I've only had my PB three months (I was concerned about RIM back then too) but someone I know who tries lots of gadgets recommended it very highly.

I really like my PB! Not had a tablet before and wasn't actually expecting to use it so much. I have a couple of niggles but basically it suits me really well. However I think I'm perhaps not the most typical customer with the most typical wants and I can see how these new Kindle Fires could capture the market.

I don't wish I'd waited to get one as my PB serves me well - (and I could get it 40 pounds cheaper now but I don't mind as I've really enjoyed using it these past three months).

It's possible I might want something different in a year or so's time. By then lots of people will have tried the kindles, nexus, mini ipad etc so I'd know better which of them (in probably newer versions) appealed to me . Or you never know it might be a newer Blackberry tablet. Just have to wait and see how RIM gets on.
    Even though the PB is over a year old, still has respectable specs an the form factor is a winner for me. You'd think is no big deal but it makes a difference having those speakers facing you instead of away from you like in most other tablets. The app ecosystem will be the determining factor with BB10 it has to be up to par with iOS and Android, otherwise it will be DOA.
    09-08-12 09:41 AM
    My problem with the PB at the moment is content, it's a pain to get content on, and even if you install the android kindle app, your sitting reading a book and the screen goes off, not a good user experience at all! I am not altogether worried about apps as much, and a 7in tablet is too small to do any serious work on bar a few emails.

Been considering ditching it for some time now, RIM cant even get 2.1 out it would seem, so don't hold much hope for BB10 as the hardware will just be too old by then.

Tablets are about ecosystems and RIM doesn't have one and that is the biggest problem, at this late stage they won't be able to build one on their own either.

Kindle HD is sure enticing at the moment.
    09-09-12 04:42 AM
    You are completely wrong. The purpose of bridge was to provide PB owners to get access to email and calendar (PIM), to at least BB owners. The data plan access was a good bonus.

the internet connection was one of the main reasons.

You need to go back to over a year ago and look up Mike interview on the PB where he clearly states the reasons.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-09-12 07:54 AM
    I agree the apps are very important for most people - but they aren't for me. There's enough to keep me happy although I would like a native kindle app. But even then it's not really important for me and I haven't even got round to sideloading the android version yet.

I got a tablet mainly for comfortable sofa or in bed web browsing. Also 7" for portability so I can read newspapers in cafes. Except I always go for the free standard web versions. I guess I am cheap/don't have much money.

So the playbook's been great. Nice kit and speakers on the front - I also watch media on the tablet but again free stuff. In the UK we have free TV catch up websites and the playbook's nice for viewing that content on.

And I like the camera/video. (would prefer that you could organise photos more easily though). I also like the games (didn't think I would be that bothered) and have spent more money than I expected there (and downloaded free ones) but am not longing for more than is available in app world.

So I'm plenty happy with the pb. I agree that most other tablet consumers will have different wants to me though and that could be RIM's downfall.

Also got a logitech bluetooth for ipad keyboard which works well with the pb and that's been a nice addition that I use sometimes.
    Last edited by wimbly; 09-09-12 at 08:30 AM.
    Hawnz and cman5 like this.
    09-09-12 08:25 AM
    People keep on saying RIM doesnt have an ecosystem blabla... Its the same old story. Open your eyes people, they are working on it. And when the new OS does launch, it'll have more apps than any other OS at launch. Apple started from a non existent appstore, so did google. If they can do it, why not RIM. While people wont flood BB10 and deem it as the best thing since sliced bread... Its the platform thats being built for the next 10 years. Apps are pouring in daily from experienced and well reputed Devs. If its one thing RIM can count on is that people like change. They'll get tired of apple... Ios is the definition of boring. BB10 will create a buzz and people will be curious. The OS looks solid and the devs are rolling in...
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    09-09-12 11:27 AM
    As has been said, with the new Kindle Fires, the hardware edge that the PlayBook had is evaporating. With 32GB models, better screens, better sound, and HDMI out, Amazon has made some real improvements from their previous models. The PlayBook still has some hardware advantages - cameras, 64GB models, but with the competition catching up in terms of hardware, this is where the delay of BB10 is really going to hurt RIM. By the time BB10 (and whatever new apps come out with it) are released, it may be too little too late.

I like my PlayBook a lot, but I also have an iPad and don't need a big ecosystem on a second tablet, so I have no reason to get a Fire, but as a first tablet, I think the Kindle Fire HD looks great, far better IMO than the Nexus 7.
    Last edited by bdegrande; 09-09-12 at 01:27 PM.
    09-09-12 12:23 PM
    And when the new OS does launch, it'll have more apps than any other OS at launch. Apple started from a non existent appstore, so did google. If they can do it, why not RIM.
    That's nice, but people don't think "Let's buy a BB10 phone because even though it has A LOT less apps than the competition - it has more at launch than Apple/Android did on their launch!".

Unfortunately for RIM, people live in the here and now - they don't care to reset the clock and compare products at the same point in their lifespan. Apple and Google started from a non-existent appstore, but generally speaking - it was non-existent for EVERYBODY at that time. Apple got in on the ground floor and Android shortly afterward - they had that benefit. RIM doesn't have that luxury - they're competing against a monster appstore from Apple and decent appstores from Android and even Microsoft. So you really can't compare the situations at all.

Had RIM got off their behinds 2 years ago, they would have entered a market that wasn't as solidified as it is today.
    bdegrande, Syrous44 and notfanboy like this.
    09-09-12 01:21 PM
    Amazon certainly has nice ads for their new tabs. If you can decide on the basis of ads and your knowledge of Amazon ecosystem OK. Nexus7 is 55 grams lighter than the Fire HD 7" and runs a later flavor, stock Android. Maybe need to get hands-on tests. The 8.9" HD Fire seems pretty pudgy at 20 ounces ( 567 grams).
    Comment on screen dimming when using Kindle on PB- will an app such as Battery Guru which has a stay awake feature keep this from happening?
    09-09-12 01:36 PM
    That's nice, but people don't think "Let's buy a BB10 phone because even though it has A LOT less apps than the competition - it has more at launch than Apple/Android did on their launch!".

Unfortunately for RIM, people live in the here and now - they don't care to reset the clock and compare products at the same point in their lifespan. Apple and Google started from a non-existent appstore, but generally speaking - it was non-existent for EVERYBODY at that time. Apple got in on the ground floor and Android shortly afterward - they had that benefit. RIM doesn't have that luxury - they're competing against a monster appstore from Apple and decent appstores from Android and even Microsoft. So you really can't compare the situations at all.

Had RIM got off their behinds 2 years ago, they would have entered a market that wasn't as solidified as it is today.
    Its by no means the same situation at all, i know that. However, you are overlooking one major factor. Even though RIM has less apps than the competition, there are still 78 million subscribers out there who are sticking to RIM despite the lack of an "ecosystem". So not every Tom, and Harry cares about 600,000 apps. BB10 will have everything that the existing user base loves from OS 5 -7, Some of the latest technology thats found in Android and IOS as well as unique features.
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    09-09-12 09:18 PM
    Yes, Kindle is full of ads. No problem. It is cheap.
    But the quality is very low. My kindle has been broken for twice. Luckily, Amazon is helpful for me to change a new one.

I just read that all of the new Kindles are ad-supported. That's so awful, but not too surprising considering that's how Amazon makes a ton of money.

I can't think of anything worse than having pop-ups and ads be unavoidable on my tablet. I'm sure ad revenue is what helps keep the cost of the new Kindles relatively low, but still... I'll wait for whatever tablet RIM makes next. No way do I want ads as part of my user experience.
    health articles
    09-09-12 09:22 PM
    When it comes to a phone, I'm more interested in one that does what I want out of the box, than one that I need 20 apps cobbled together to do it. The reason the iPhone got such a great app ecosystem is because the OS itself did almost nothing, so there was a great opportunity to provide what people wanted, and you had 50 different devs trying to solve the same problem.

Since BB10 is packed with way more features, there will be far less need for entire categories of apps. As a result, BB will always have less, but that doesn't mean it's a worse platform.

The largest, and most important, app category is games. That's where we'll really have to pay attention, and see if RIM can court game developers to bring their titles to BB (preferably not as Android ports, in fact, I'd be quite happy if BB10 ditches the Android player).
    09-09-12 09:25 PM
    People keep saying how great things are before they are even out. I remember people talking how great the Kindle Fire was. When I was able to try one, found it to be awful. I liked the Nook Tablet better, then the PlayBook dropped in price, so I got that.
    I also purchased Kindle Fire and Now I find that I don;t like it at all. Compared to Playbook it is nothing, very cheap. I am outside USA and I cannot download and install apps from therir app store and we get one month Prime Amazon free and that also only if you are within the boundaries of USA. Amazon could very well have printed on the kindle fire that it is only for residents of USA. I advise any of you who are outside USA to be aware of the above.
    09-10-12 03:56 AM
    I just read that all of the new Kindles are ad-supported. That's so awful, but not too surprising considering that's how Amazon makes a ton of money.

I can't think of anything worse than having pop-ups and ads be unavoidable on my tablet. I'm sure ad revenue is what helps keep the cost of the new Kindles relatively low, but still... I'll wait for whatever tablet RIM makes next. No way do I want ads as part of my user experience.
    It's just on the lock screen.
    Can be switched off for $15

J
    09-10-12 04:43 AM
    I also purchased Kindle Fire and Now I find that I don;t like it at all. Compared to Playbook it is nothing, very cheap. I am outside USA and I cannot download and install apps from therir app store and we get one month Prime Amazon free and that also only if you are within the boundaries of USA. Amazon could very well have printed on the kindle fire that it is only for residents of USA. I advise any of you who are outside USA to be aware of the above.
    They won't even sell outside the US anymore, so that's much less likely to be a problem.
    09-10-12 09:07 AM
    Yes, Kindle is full of ads. No problem. It is cheap.
    But the quality is very low. My kindle has been broken for twice. Luckily, Amazon is helpful for me to change a new one.

health articles
    What??!! Something besides a Playbook breaks or has problems? No! I don't believe it!! Sorry, not aimed at you or any particular person at all. I just couldn't help myself. From some of the posts I read in this forum, you'd think the Playbook was the only imperfect device. I'm just kidding and blowing off a little steam. Carry on.
    09-10-12 11:26 AM
    I like to browse amazon, newegg, tigerdirect and other online electronics stores to keep up with prices and see new devices that don't get prime-time media coverage.

Now that the fire hd has been on the market for about two weeks I went to amazon to see what people are saying and read some feedback.

I was shocked to see that only 45% have given it a 5 star review and 34% had given a rating of 3 stars or less.

Many reviewers are saying that the original kindle fire was better.

Now for the the PlayBooks ratings

52% gave a 5 star review and 26% had given a rating of 3 stars or less.

So Amazon buyer's think the PlayBook is better than Amazons self proclaimed "New Normal" Kindle Fire HD.

David defeats Goliath again

09-22-12 09:05 AM
    I like to browse amazon, newegg, tigerdirect and other online electronics stores to keep up with prices and see new devices that don't get prime-time media coverage.

Now that the fire hd has been on the market for about two weeks I went to amazon to see what people are saying and read some feedback.

I was shocked to see that only 45% have given it a 5 star review and 34% had given a rating of 3 stars or less.

Many reviewers are saying that the original kindle fire was better.

Now for the the PlayBooks ratings

52% gave a 5 star review and 26% had given a rating of 3 stars or less.

So Amazon buyer's think the PlayBook is better than Amazons self proclaimed "New Normal" Kindle Fire HD.

David defeats Goliath again

I find this funny cuz I tried a friend's original Kindle Fire and I thought it was terrible. If someone had given me one I would have sold it. Hate the UI and we were never able to get an epub reader to pick up downloaded epubs. So glad I have a pb instead.
    09-22-12 09:46 AM
124 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD