PB is falling way behind on HW and ecosystem now, the OS and UI is still competitive.

It is pretty tough for RIM to compet with those giants.
    09-06-12 10:48 PM
    Amazon was impressive indeed...I still enjoy my PlayBook though and I'm still looking forward to bb10. That hasn't changed just because kindle released a new tablet.

Also just like no one has tried the kindle hd no one has experienced BlackBerry10 on a Playbook either. There is no telling what RIM has coming down the pipe.
    09-06-12 11:07 PM
    Ads don't "pop up" they are confined to the lock screen and screensaver function and are in no way intrusive. In fact, a lot of people actually find them useful because it generates ads that actually offer customers something they possibly are interested in. Not saying it'll be a scenario accepted by all, and I understand your point but it's not as you imply. The ads inside of apps now are more intrusive than what the Kindle ads are.

Overall, for most folks it's really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things especially when you consider how much time you spend staring at your lock screen and screensaver. Unless you're drunk or stoned and you have a really cool screensaver, you shouldn't be spending any more than 3 secs on it lol.
    That is too funny.

Personally lock screen is something I'd find extremely intrusive. Maybe not to the eyes-glazed-over NA comsumer. I'm surprised anyone would make an arguement for this.

Are there even ads inside BB apps? If there are they must be extremely unintrusive if I don't even know if theyre there.
    09-06-12 11:08 PM
    The best thing is the PB is 1.5 years old and the specs are extremely comparable.

Actually, maybe the best thing is Mr. Jobs declared the 7 inch market DOA and now it looks like RIM pioneered it.

Or maybe the best thing is RIM doesn't need to release any new hardware and their device still has more potential then the rest of them. I can see a lot of old ipads, android, and amazon tablets piling up in landfills while the PB continues to receive upgrades to the most powerful and capable OS out there.

The ones so worried about RIM and its PB would benefit from moving on, buy your 'new' tablet of choice and enjoy talking about it with like-minded people.

I can see myself having my PB for a long time, and will likely buy another since I'm finding the 16G to be too small. Can't believe anyone would release a tablet with less storage than that, or without a rear cam.
    Vorkosigan and cman5 like this.
    09-06-12 11:16 PM
    Wow! An almost entire troll thread!

Excuse me while I ignore it.

Why not delete your post on the way out too?

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-06-12 11:21 PM
    Why is comparing these tablets stupid? They aim to target the same demographic, and actually has VERY similar specs (7" kindle that is). The Playbook is still being sold and is RIM only tablet offering. This is a completely fair comparison regardless of what you think. The only thing that makes it seem unfair is the Playbook's poor ecosystem and poor qnx implementation compared to every other 7in offering. Specs wise and price, these things are almost identical. So stop crying foul. The fact is RIM has intended on selling the same tablet for 1.5 yrs. That's not the markets fault now is it?

& to put it quite simply, I don't suffer from tech envy the least bit. I have gadgets galore and could careless about the new kindles. Amazon couldn't suit my needs if they tried. My Playbook has as much dust on it as it is thick btw.

Oh and not to knock your preference, but I must inquire -- do you honestly prefer to have two devices performing two tasks for what one device should?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

You missed the point and over generalized what they said. Comparing specs of two tablets released 1.5 yrs apart isn't the greatest analysis. Funny thing is playbook pretty much matches it. And if the hardware feels anything like the old fire then thats sad.

It also has a rear camera, and it looks like the speakers on the kindle are oddly on the back, I guess for those who look at the back while watching movies.

Why are there so many trying to claim some sort of personal victory as there are more entraints into the RIM created 7 inch tablet category?

Id feel bad if I bought the orginal fire and now this comes out. Looks like they wasted their money and have to buy another tablet right?
    digtech likes this.
    09-06-12 11:27 PM
    I love how all the pundits are saying that the new Kindle and/or the iPad Mini is really going to have a huge impact on PB sales and/or will be the final nail in RIM's coffin. Breaking news! RIM knew a year ago that they blew it, stepped aside to let others dominate the 7" tablet market, and completely wrote off the PB and any future profit from it. That's just the way the ball bounced.

Personally, I am tickled pink that RIM is even considering a BB10 release for the PB.
    09-07-12 12:09 AM
    Window of oppurtunity for RIM on tablets is closed. They dragged their feet, delayed, fumbled, screwed up and let a frigg'n book reader pass it up. They can't even get out a stinking pathetic minor update without it screwing up so many tablets they had to pull it. More and more third parties are ending support of blackberry products and now kid's hand held gaming devices and a book reader get apps this device can't.

This is yet another reason why they are losing marketshare, losing third party support, the stock price is in the crosshairs of corporate raiders....
    If RIM had the 2.1 OS ready, now would be the time to release it, just to keep a small foothold in the game against the tidal wave of new phones and tablets coming out this month. But the only thing that RIM has done is discount the PlayBook again, and make it appear more like they are dumping them. It doesn't look like we would see a new PB out until maybe 3 - 6 months after the first BB10 phones. That means it could be out to this time next year, if RIM can survive until then.

If the ipad mini is announced next week with the iphone 5, as said above, yes it might be the final nail in the coffin. These next 4 -5 months sure are going to be tough.

So if the BB10 OS is going to come to the PB as is the plan, they really need to release a close version of the final OS to the PB before the phones come out, and preferably before yearend. Think that RIM has to get much more positive user buzz about the BB10 OS to build up the release of the phones in Q1. There are a lot of PB's out there now and it's the only advance device in the lineup that can be a talking point for BB10.
    Akuji_ism and Old Ag like this.
    09-07-12 12:36 AM
    People should really relax about RIM not releasing any updates for the PlayBook. I can't remember what, but I kind of remember that they are working on the biggest release from the company in many years.
    Man I really wish I could remember what it was.
    Is it a normal thing to assume that anyone who has a Playbook must want to buy a blackberry phone?

Many consumers don't care if RIM is working on BB2000. They paid for a Playbook and they want a promised update.

Besides, RIM has shown they are capable of multitasking...afterall, OS 7 theme studio is planned for release shortly...
    09-07-12 07:01 AM
    You missed the point and over generalized what they said. Comparing specs of two tablets released 1.5 yrs apart isn't the greatest analysis. Funny thing is playbook pretty much matches it. And if the hardware feels anything like the old fire then thats sad.

It also has a rear camera, and it looks like the speakers on the kindle are oddly on the back, I guess for those who look at the back while watching movies.

Why are there so many trying to claim some sort of personal victory as there are more entraints into the RIM created 7 inch tablet category?

Id feel bad if I bought the orginal fire and now this comes out. Looks like they wasted their money and have to buy another tablet right?
    I agree with most what you said besides the notion RIM introduced the 7" tab market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    09-07-12 07:06 AM
    The Kindle Fire HD will not be replacing my PD - it has no rear camera and is missing too many sensors we take for granted these days - no gyro - no gps!! NO GPS!!!
    09-07-12 07:09 AM
    The Kindle Fire HD will not be replacing my PD - it has no rear camera and is missing too many sensors we take for granted these days - no gyro - no gps!! NO GPS!!!
    GPS in PlayBook is sort of fictional thing. Actually it never worked for me at all. Therefore I prefer to believe that GPS in PlayBook is present only 'on paper'.
    09-07-12 07:29 AM
    My GPS works just fine. It finds me every time, regardless of the application I'm using at the time. Therefore, GPS on the PB is definitely NOT just "on paper".
    09-07-12 08:22 AM
    No app for Offline navigation for more than 2/3 rd of the world, the playbook's GPS may as well not be there.
    09-07-12 08:24 AM
    Another therad about the death of rim and the playbook.
    Stir the pot throw in a dash of personal attacks
    Add a pinch of haters against a combination of die hard rim PB fans and a few FANBOYS.
    I still won't count rim out yet rim dead I think not. Anyone wana bet?
    I'm new to tablets a couple of months with my pb and less then a week with my transformer. APPS APPS APPS. YES there are some really good apps that you cant get on the playbook but if you look at android lets say you are looking for a note taking app maybe there are 3 or4good apps for that and then 10.000 copies most are crap l mean how many fart apps does one need?
    More does not mean better.
    The pb is a great little peice of hardware that has only gotten better for the 3 months I've owned it and l believe rim will continue to improve on it as far as apps available
    and if bbxx is everything everyone hopes it will be Then everybody happy except for the haters who will always find some new HATE BAIT to dangle and there will always be the rim faithful to chomp on that hook. I wish I had more time to dedicate to this but I have to put my Asus away and fire up my pb there's a real world out there waiting for me .
    Have a great day.
    cman5 likes this.
    09-07-12 08:53 AM
    Amazon is a company that knows how to SELL things that consumers will want.

RIM is a tech company that tries to make communication devices.

The problem is Amazon is flexible and takes existing technology and uses it to provide a great user experience. And RIM is trying to start from scratch and reinvent the wheel with their new OS. But people don't care about the OS - Amazon sure doesn't.

I'm sure that next year (or sooner) Amazon will release their own line of Phones, but don't worry they won't hurt sales of BB10 devices....
    09-07-12 09:07 AM
    The truth is that comparing a brand spanking new Kindle HD (with its proprietary apps and books) to a tablet that is 1.5 years on the market is ... um ... stupid.
    well I think the real issue most people are making is that the one edge the pb had was just eliminated... A superior device was released a year and a half ago in terms of hardware and we were all told "chill, the apps will follow". Well, the one edge it had for that 18 months didn't make it a best seller and still the apps haven't come. That's the point. A tablet without third party support from the big boys is nothing more than a rectangular slab of glass that you can browse the internet on and that isn't going to last. When hand held gameing devices for kids and now a book reader get the love and playbook owners just keep being told of what support they have just lost doesn't bode well for the idea that RIM is justified in contiinuing to lose money making these things.
    brianatbb likes this.
    09-07-12 09:09 AM
    RIM should package both the PB and BB devices into one. Brand it as the complete mobile solution. Find some price point or carrier incentive to sell the bundle. I agree @bobert_123, the new mini tablet devices on the market will hurt PB sales.
    09-07-12 09:15 AM
    Wow! An almost entire troll thread!

Excuse me while I ignore it.
    Same old rhetoric. When the going gets tough, lets call it a troll. As if that will solve the issue.
    09-07-12 09:52 AM
    Oh I can handle "the truth" but can you?

The truth is that comparing a brand spanking new Kindle HD (with its proprietary apps and books) to a tablet that is 1.5 years on the market is ... um ... stupid.
    RIM cannot just expect to introduce BB10 in Q1 of 2013 (hopefully) on a then 2y old PB and expect to make headway! They will not increase marketshare. All that will happen is current PB users will upgrade to BB10, but they will hardly sell many new PB's. In the meantime, Amazon will sell these new Kindle's at a rapid pace, especially with holiday season coming up. Brilliant marketing and strategy, which cannot be said of RIM.
    09-07-12 09:59 AM
    Is it a normal thing to assume that anyone who has a Playbook must want to buy a blackberry phone?

Many consumers don't care if RIM is working on BB2000. They paid for a Playbook and they want a promised update.

Besides, RIM has shown they are capable of multitasking...afterall, OS 7 theme studio is planned for release shortly...
    Actually I never said anything about their phones. I never have heard of a promised update. The only thing that I have heard is that it will be updated to BB10 when it comes out. That is where my post is coming from. Just wait... nope, I read my post again, nothing about phones in there.
    09-07-12 10:01 AM
    Even Apple can't compete with Amazons merchandise system. They have a big advantage with what they have in place.
    Are you implying that Amazon should not use their advantage in the merchandise sytem to their own advantage in the tablet market?
    09-07-12 10:07 AM
    Wow! An almost entire troll thread of justifiable criticism aimed at RIM!

Excuse me while I ignore it put my head back in the sand.
    I hope you don't mind my redlining your post for accuracy's sake.
    09-07-12 11:07 AM
    PB and Sony PRS-T1 for me, at least for a while. I like the versatility. I do with the battery life was a bit better and I wish for 2.1 etc but it does what I wanted it for.
    09-07-12 11:11 AM
    So if the BB10 OS is going to come to the PB as is the plan, they really need to release a close version of the final OS to the PB before the phones come out, and preferably before yearend. Think that RIM has to get much more positive user buzz about the BB10 OS to build up the release of the phones in Q1. There are a lot of PB's out there now and it's the only advance device in the lineup that can be a talking point for BB10.
    My understanding is that RIM has said on multiple occasions that BB10 will come to PB after the phones are released, so it's at least 4 months away, could be 7-8.
    09-07-12 11:15 AM
124 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD