Ya, but show me a tablet that lets me compose multiple emails at the same time, multiple Citrix sessions at the same time with a easy swipe down, and playing YouTube at the same time when checking something in the browser.
    There's the rub.

I have never read a post from a user here stating that what they want from a tablet is the ability to compose multiple emails, while running multiple concurrent Citrix sessions, while concurrently watching YouTube and concurrently doing some browsing. , I am quite convinced that isn't even humanly possible.

But I have seen quite a few posts from people asking for some of their favourite apps on the PB.

Step 1 - figure out what the customers want (or think they want)
    Step 2 - give the customers what they want

Problem is customers don't want what you describe, but they would be quite happy if a few more of their favourite apps were available.
    Last edited by cynicalreader; 09-06-12 at 08:28 PM.
    Akuji_ism, timberdc and bodjor like this.
    09-06-12 08:15 PM
    As mentioned previously... functionality and the OS should be the deciding factor on a smarphone or tablet..... there will always be someting better being released... that is the nature of innovation.... just because it is new or has better specs does not mean it is better for the user....Especially if it is running that same OS......

I am in the computer business.... when I client asks me about upgrading to the latest and greatest computer... I answer back with a question "is your computer doing everyiting you want it to'... If it does why upgrade..... lose sales... but happy customers....

the whole business model in consumer electronics market is "what you have is not good enough".... If you do not have the latest and greatest device then you are being left behind... and people in the millions buy into it....

Take the IPad for example... I have an original... have had use of Ipad2 and new Ipad on numerous occasions... are some things fancier and faster... somewhat... there is the odd functions that the New Ipad can do but from an app standpoint... I see little or no difference... so why upgrade if my "old" Ipad serves me well... remember... when IOS6 comes out they will be on all 3 versions of Ipad... so again why should I upgrade....

As I have posted previously... I have a Torch 9800.... does absolutely everything i want... Till BB10 comes out and shows me it is worth updating I do not intnend to do so.... Played with Samsung and Apple smartphones... really flashy ... but again for me it is not about money but functionally......

As for the playbook.... if you believe you are being left behind by owning a Playbook and it is not doing it for you... why not upgrade to a different platform..... ablsolutly nothing wring with doing so... we do it with cars, houses, various electroncis.... so why should your Playbook be any different???? If you has a good run on it be happy and more on.....
    Well said man
    alan510 likes this.
    09-06-12 08:27 PM
    *sigh*the new kindle look good still... oh well... i still love my playbook and shall continue to be using it. Cant see myself buying another tablet now, mine does what i need it to do and I'm still mighty satisfied.
    kbz1960, melander, CCJSW10 and 1 others like this.
    09-06-12 08:30 PM
    Can't handle the truth.

I see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh I can handle "the truth" but can you?

The truth is that comparing a brand spanking new Kindle HD (with its proprietary apps and books) to a tablet that is 1.5 years on the market is ... um ... stupid.

Tech toys come out all the time and the new ones are always bigger, better and do more than the last. Unless you have copious amounts of disposable cash in order to buy the next great thing, you need to focus on what it is you want/need. Therein lies the truth.

I got over having to have the "latest and greatest" years ago. Now I focus on what I need and what best suits my needs. At present, it's my PB and my Sony ereader.

Sorry you suffer from tech envy. One day you too will put on your big boy pants and decide that there are better ways to spend yur time/money.
    Vorkosigan and CairnsRock like this.
    09-06-12 08:37 PM
    I just read that all of the new Kindles are ad-supported. That's so awful, but not too surprising considering that's how Amazon makes a ton of money.

I can't think of anything worse than having pop-ups and ads be unavoidable on my tablet. I'm sure ads revenue is what helps keep the cost of the new Kindles relatively low, but still... I'll wait for whatever tablet RIM makes next. No way do I want ads as part of my user experience.
    why you think ads will pop up? I don't think it will happen. Have everyone tried those ad support kindle ereader? do ads pop up?
    savestheday611 likes this.
    09-06-12 08:46 PM
    There's the rub.

I have never read a post from a user here stating that what they want from a tablet is the ability to compose multiple emails, while running multiple concurrent Citrix sessions, while concurrently watching YouTube and concurrently doing some browsing. , I am quite convinced that isn't even humanly possible.

But I have seen quite a few posts from people asking for some of their favourite apps on the PB.

Step 1 - figure out what the customers want (or think they want)
    Step 2 - give the customers what they want

Problem is customers don't want what you describe, but they would be quite happy if a few more of their favourite apps were available.
    most consumers even don't know what citrix session is
    09-06-12 08:53 PM

The truth is that comparing a brand spanking new Kindle HD (with its proprietary apps and books) to a tablet that is 1.5 years on the market is ... um ... stupid.

because we don't have 5 months PB to compare
    09-06-12 08:55 PM
    Great thread. Hilarious really. This is a fan site. For PlayBook. The PB tablet hard ware is more than a year old. Who cares? The software is the key piece. New tablet hardware will come out on a monthly basis but software and more importantly the OS needs to last for years. All handheld devices now pack a significant amount of computer power and I can coax virtually any of the mainstream platforms to do what I need. Read a book. Show a map. Show a movie. Play a game. Access my music. Handle documents. Browse the Internet. Playbook does ALL of these very well.
    hpjrt, digtech, Vorkosigan and 2 others like this.
    09-06-12 08:57 PM
    I'll be shocked if RIM can save any more big hits like this one! If Apple drops the iPad Mini... It's lights out for the PlayBook. The ecosystem just isn't there. Again, 2 cameras and great sound and no way to use them... Pointless! Skype out of the box on the new Kindle Fire. Bigger screen, HD, cloud etc. Amazon has just declared war on the tablet industry in a big way.

My PlayBook is basically a Twitter /Facebook machine. I have like 5 games on it and a few apps that I have paid for. I even checked out a COBY Kyros 10" Tablet that did more than my PlayBook. RIM really failed at this. Sad but true!

Akuji_ism, rcm1301 and bodjor like this.
    09-06-12 09:07 PM
    because we don't have 5 months PB to compare
    Is this supposed to illustrate some arcane form of logic?
    bodjor likes this.
    09-06-12 09:10 PM
    I just read that all of the new Kindles are ad-supported. That's so awful, but not too surprising considering that's how Amazon makes a ton of money.

I can't think of anything worse than having pop-ups and ads be unavoidable on my tablet. I'm sure ads revenue is what helps keep the cost of the new Kindles relatively low, but still... I'll wait for whatever tablet RIM makes next. No way do I want ads as part of my user experience.
    Ads don't "pop up" they are confined to the lock screen and screensaver function and are in no way intrusive. In fact, a lot of people actually find them useful because it generates ads that actually offer customers something they possibly are interested in. Not saying it'll be a scenario accepted by all, and I understand your point but it's not as you imply. The ads inside of apps now are more intrusive than what the Kindle ads are.

Overall, for most folks it's really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things especially when you consider how much time you spend staring at your lock screen and screensaver. Unless you're drunk or stoned and you have a really cool screensaver, you shouldn't be spending any more than 3 secs on it lol.
    timberdc likes this.
    09-06-12 09:16 PM
    Ya, but show me a tablet that lets me compose multiple emails at the same time, multiple Citrix sessions at the same time with a easy swipe down, and playing YouTube at the same time when checking something in the browser.

The PlayBook is 1.5 years old. Obviously the spec's getting old, but functionalities still prett dam good. Depends on what you want out of your tablet. I have an ICS tablet and an ICS phone and I still spend a lot of time on my PlayBook...
    Don't get me wrong... the PB is a decent device, and QNX is pretty solid technically. But it all comes down to what you can do with the device - and when all is said and done, you can do more things with other tablets than you can with the PB because there are more apps and support for them.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    09-06-12 09:18 PM
    Anybody heard what version of Amadroid the Fire HD is supposed to come with? Looked at the long promo on the Amazon site and didn't find the answer. The Google Nexus 7 also has ads if you want to count the popup suggestions for books, movies, apps and music you can buy in the Google Playstore.
    09-06-12 09:21 PM
    Anybody heard what version of Amadroid the Fire HD is supposed to come with? Looked at the long promo on the Amazon site and didn't find the answer. The Google Nexus 7 also has ads if you want to count the popup suggestions for books, movies, apps and music you can buy in the Google Playstore.
    Version of what? The OS? It's Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich at the core, just heavily customized.
    09-06-12 09:23 PM
    Yes RIM has failed. But really, has anyone else done well? Apple yes. Google Android? No, maybe Nexus 7, but they still aren't bragging numbers. Kindle Fire? Not sure either.

When I got the PlayBook in November 2011, I thought it was the best tablet for the price and size. In November 2012, will it be the best for the price? Can't say, but it will be a year older, a lifetime for tech gadgets.
    09-06-12 09:24 PM
    Yes RIM has failed. But really, has anyone else done well? Apple yes. Google Android? No, maybe Nexus 7, but they still aren't bragging numbers. Kindle Fire? Not sure either.

When I got the PlayBook in November 2011, I thought it was the best tablet for the price and size. In November 2012, will it be the best for the price? Can't say, but it will be a year older, a lifetime for tech gadgets.
    Apple is the only one who could ever possibly claim victory. Many people may not like that fact, but it's entirely true. Amazon claims 22% tablet marketshare with the Kindle Fire, yet has never produced sufficient data to prove it and you can't go off the Android numbers because the Kindle Fire is not accounted for as Android due to it being a forked OS with no Google experience apps included.
    09-06-12 09:26 PM
    Playbook is getting very dated. It's 1.5 years old and no update, it's sad.

My hope is there is at least a Playbook with the 1.5 Ghz processor and OS2.1 coming soon?

I will probably pick up one of these new Android tabs - Fire HD or a Nexus. I like my Playbook enough but I want more and these things are getting so cheap. I really hope Blackberry can get it together soon and get some new product out.
    09-06-12 09:39 PM
    Don't get me wrong... the PB is a decent device, and QNX is pretty solid technically. But it all comes down to what you can do with the device - and when all is said and done, you can do more things with other tablets than you can with the PB because there are more apps and support for them.
    Yep - that's about it.

I honestly don't care that much on my phone but on my tablet I want a bit more and Playbook is lacking apps badly, still. I hope that changes soon with BB10 - who knows.
    09-06-12 09:42 PM
    I will say $299 Kindle Fire HD sounds interesting, it has no killer feature that I need. If the rumors of the iPad Mini are true, I may buy one because the weight maybe less than 300g. That for me, will be a killer feature.
    09-06-12 09:44 PM
    Since it is "heavily customized" I chose to call it Ama(zon)Droid. ICS is one step behind the times.
    savestheday611 likes this.
    09-06-12 09:47 PM
    The thing is, In My Opinion, RIM does a terrible job of advertising the Playbook, while Amazon and Google can get people excited about their upcoming tablets weeks before they are actually released. I have only seen maybe a couple of ads for the PB 4G. And they were online banners. I can't remember where I saw them. I have seen Ads for the new KF HD because I go to Amazon.com often. But, that works out great for Amazon because that is the customer base they are mostly aiming for. People who shop at Amazon.com. And I'm sure we have all seen tons of ads for the Nexus 7, online, on Google.com, heck, even on this very site. I've also seen billboard ads for the Nexus 7and the KF. I don't think I've seen any for the PB.

RIM doesn't do a good job making people want to buy the PB, IMO. They don't advertise it enough, if at all. Google and Amazon, on the other hand, do.
    Akuji_ism and cdelcampo216 like this.
    09-06-12 09:59 PM

Tech toys come out all the time and the new ones are always bigger, better and do more than the last. Unless you have copious amounts of disposable cash in order to buy the next great thing, you need to focus on what it is you want/need. Therein lies the truth.

I got over having to have the "latest and greatest" years ago. Now I focus on what I need and what best suits my needs. At present, it's my PB and my Sony ereader.

Sorry you suffer from tech envy. One day you too will put on your big boy pants and decide that there are better ways to spend yur time/money.
    Why is comparing these tablets stupid? They aim to target the same demographic, and actually has VERY similar specs (7" kindle that is). The Playbook is still being sold and is RIM only tablet offering. This is a completely fair comparison regardless of what you think. The only thing that makes it seem unfair is the Playbook's poor ecosystem and poor qnx implementation compared to every other 7in offering. Specs wise and price, these things are almost identical. So stop crying foul. The fact is RIM has intended on selling the same tablet for 1.5 yrs. That's not the markets fault now is it?

& to put it quite simply, I don't suffer from tech envy the least bit. I have gadgets galore and could careless about the new kindles. Amazon couldn't suit my needs if they tried. My Playbook has as much dust on it as it is thick btw.

Oh and not to knock your preference, but I must inquire -- do you honestly prefer to have two devices performing two tasks for what one device should?

Syrous44 and Akuji_ism like this.
    09-06-12 10:00 PM
    Why is comparing these tablets stupid? They aim to target the same demographic, and actually has VERY similar specs (7" kindle that is). The Playbook is still being sold and is RIM only tablet offering. This is a completely fair comparison regardless of what you think. The only thing that makes it seem unfair is the Playbook's poor ecosystem and poor qnx implementation compared to every other 7in offering. Specs wise and price, these things are almost identical. So stop crying foul. The fact is RIM has intended on selling the same tablet for 1.5 yrs. That's not the markets fault now is it?

& to put it quite simply, I don't suffer from tech envy the least bit. I have gadgets galore and could careless about the new kindles. Amazon couldn't suit my needs if they tried. My Playbook has as much dust on it as it is thick btw.

Oh and not to knock your preference, but I must inquire -- do you honestly prefer to have two devices performing two tasks for what one device should?

You both need to.....

morales0416 and cman5 like this.
    09-06-12 10:06 PM
    I will say $299 Kindle Fire HD sounds interesting, it has no killer feature that I need. If the rumors of the iPad Mini are true, I may buy one because the weight maybe less than 300g. That for me, will be a killer feature.
    The Nexus7 weighs 340 grams and has a screen area of about 22 sq.in. The Apple mini at 7.85” and the same aspect ratio as the iPad2 has a screen area of about 29.6 sq.in. Thus based on the ratio of screen areas would think it likely to be about 450 grams. The iPad2 is about 604 grams with a screen area equal to about 45.2sq.in.. Ratioing from that one gets about 400 grams. So probably between 400 and 450 grams. Believe that the 7" Kindle Fire HD is about 395 grams.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 09-06-12 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Clarify
    09-06-12 10:18 PM
    People should really relax about RIM not releasing any updates for the PlayBook. I can't remember what, but I kind of remember that they are working on the biggest release from the company in many years.
    Man I really wish I could remember what it was.
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    09-06-12 10:22 PM
124 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD