Dont want any flame wars etc but I'm probably different than alot of users in here as I've came from a 32gb New IPad to a playbook.

Basically what happened was I seen the recent price reductions on the 64gb to 129.99! so I decided to sell my IPad not because I didn't like it but because I only used it for emails, web browsing, movies and for a gadget I paid over 500 for I wasn't using it to its full potential, I don't use the endless selection of Apps or Games

Bottom line is I got over 400 for my 6 month iPad and picked up a playbook with more storage and still almost 300 spare! (which I will put towards a MacBook)

Anyway that's my story of how I ended up here!
    chm985 likes this.
    09-10-12 03:55 AM
    Good for you and welcome to Crackberry!!

I love using my PB, which I do on a daily basis, including for reading my ebooks. (I don't like the flat e ink screen on my Sony 650)

Here are thread links to 2 excellent ebook readers which you can purchase from the Playbook App World:

Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books (AUD $1)

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-638953/

Pdf Reader (AUD $1)

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...reader-718636/

Have you set up your Blackberry ID?

I think you'll find many many uses for your new PB - and if you take a scroll through these threads and also the PB Apps thread you'll find some wonderful ideas on how to get the best out of it.

Enjoy!!!
    09-10-12 04:08 AM
    Welcome

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-10-12 04:12 AM
    Good for you and welcome to Crackberry!!

I love using my PB, which I do on a daily basis, including for reading my ebooks. (I don't like the flat e ink screen on my Sony 650)

Here are thread links to 2 excellent ebook readers which you can purchase from the Playbook App World:

Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books (AUD $1)

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-638953/

Pdf Reader (AUD $1)

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...reader-718636/

Have you set up your Blackberry ID?

I think you'll find many many uses for your new PB - and if you take a scroll through these threads and also the PB Apps thread you'll find some wonderful ideas on how to get the best out of it.

Enjoy!!!
    Thanks for the links and the welcome, have only just received my PB so gonna take a bit of time to setup and get used to it as I've been soo used to Ipad's IOS but I
    will stick with it.

I can't believe I paid soo much for a IPad when there is far cheaper alternatives about that do exactly what I wanted. I feel I've made the right choice downgrading (if you could call it that?) I've got a device that will do everything I
    want in a tablet with double the space! and 300 better off :-) all good so far!
    09-10-12 04:22 AM
    You'll find that at 7 ins it's so easy to carry around with you and is far less obvious when you whip it out to use it whilst you're out and about.

Here's a link to create your Blackberry ID which you'll need in order to purchase via PB App World.

http://us.blackberry.com/bbid.html

Also, you'll need to download Blackberry Desktop Manager to your PC in order to back up your PB (and restore, if required):

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC - US
    09-10-12 04:44 AM
    And some more info ..... if you download Box from PB App World (it's free) you'll get 50GB worth of free storage. It's easy enough to create a Box account on your PC, and then your PB.

Box does the same things as Sugar Sync or Drop Box etc.

Then you'll be able to quickly drop stuff into the cloud and pick it up on device of choice.
    JRAtk027 likes this.
    09-10-12 04:48 AM
    What phone are you using?

Because I've got a BB phone I can use Bridge and access the internet on my PB without using wifi. Very very handy when there's no wifi around.

Bridge is not tethering, the telco does not know that that you're using the phone to assist the PB to access the internet.

BB phones use minimal data and I've never used more than say 250MB a month using Bridge access.

Most months I use about 150 to 180 MB, which is well under my 500 MB limit.
    09-10-12 04:54 AM
    You'll find that at 7 ins it's so easy to carry around with you and is far less obvious when you whip it out to use it whilst you're out and about.

Here's a link to create your Blackberry ID which you'll need in order to purchase via PB App World.

BlackBerry ID - BlackBerry Login - Sign In to Apps & Services - US

Also, you'll need to download Blackberry Desktop Manager to your PC in order to back up your PB (and restore, if required):

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC - US
    Thankyou I will get this bookmarked, I agree it's far less obvious and I will feel alot better knowing it only cost 129.99 when taking out and about compared to 500 plus!

I used the 3G option on my iPad very scarcely when out of a wifi area, I take it if I want to do the same on the playbook I could just use a Mifi device as I don't think my phone provider permits tethering.

Think the only real App I will miss is SkyGo but with the PB having flash I'm sure I will be able to see any sports I want via streaming :-) having flash is definitely gonna be a bonus I can now watch videos and prelims on UFC.tv and even put it on my main tv via HDMI again another big bonus :-)
    09-10-12 04:59 AM
    Thankyou I will get this bookmarked, I agree it's far less obvious and I will feel alot better knowing it only cost 129.99 when taking out and about compared to 500 plus!

I used the 3G option on my iPad very scarcely when out of a wifi area, I take it if I want to do the same on the playbook I could just use a Mifi device as I don't think my phone provider permits tethering.

Think the only real App I will miss is SkyGo but with the PB having flash I'm sure I will be able to see any sports I want via streaming :-) having flash is definitely gonna be a bonus I can now watch videos and prelims on UFC.tv and even put it on my main tv via HDMI again another big bonus :-)
    Definitely can use a mifi device - which is exactly what I do!!

Yep - the PB takes a mini HDMI fitting - to a standard HDMI into the TV. I watch movies and some docos etc via PB into TV that way - excellent reception even using my mifi device.

Here's a link to a thread on Tablet TV - the Original and Best TV App:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...let-tv-706571/

This app (AUD $1.00) is a great resource for connecting you directly to a choice of many many tv channels around the world. If the channels you want are missing - then in that thread ask the Dev to include the ones you want.
    Old Ag likes this.
    09-10-12 05:15 AM
    Just using a iPhone 4 currently on a network
    called Giffgaff, will get myself a mifi and a prepaid data sim as I don't use a awful lot but it's handy to have.
    09-10-12 05:23 AM
    Just using a iPhone 4 currently on a network
    called Giffgaff, will get myself a mifi and a prepaid data sim as I don't use a awful lot but it's handy to have.
    Exactly what I do!!

My HSPA + mifi is prepaid, and I get 12 months to use the data. It connects to up to 5 devices at once, and it is THE only internet device I use. I don't have high speed or fixed broadband - I just use the mifi to power my lap top, pc, PB and ipod touch. (And phone if I wanted as well)

Easy peasy, eh!!
    09-10-12 05:27 AM
    Welcome to the nation
    09-11-12 07:35 AM
    Honestly, that was probably a good call. I went the opposite direction, Playbook wasn't enough for me. But I did give the PB to my wife and she basically uses it exclusively, she hardly touches her laptop. Mind you, all she does is browse the Internet, but for that it's a fine device.
    09-11-12 07:42 AM
    Welcome!
    I've been a happy user since the PB launched. I must say that I seriously dislike the iTunes jail. The freedom that 7Digital allows for paid DRM free music is awesome, along with all the various ways of installing apps. I love this ecosystem.
    09-11-12 12:52 PM
    Welcome!
    I've been a happy user since the PB launched. I must say that I seriously dislike the iTunes jail. The freedom that 7Digital allows for paid DRM free music is awesome, along with all the various ways of installing apps. I love this ecosystem.
    Doesn't jail kind of imply that you have no other altenative? I have an iPad and buy my music and videos from Amazon, use their Cloud Drive, Cloud Player, Instant Video, etc. and I use Downcast for podcasts. And, although I personally don't buy my music there, iTunes hasn't had DRM on music for years.
    09-11-12 01:49 PM
    although against giffgaff mobile terms you can tether to your blackberry via bluetooth (or if you're jailbroken purchase mywi) and use iphone as a mobile hot spot, if you're buying the 10 goody bag for unlimited data that's your tablet whilst out solved.

Must admit some of the cool stuff comes with a blackberry, even my wife's 9300 works with blackberry bridge and it doesn't drain the battery on the phone too badly
    09-11-12 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD