Just thought I would pop in to say a quick hi to you all.Not actually a PB owner yet but should be a purchase real soon.
    Also can I ask if it going to be possible to bridge the PB with my 8520 Curve or is this only possible with better models?

I'd also like opinions on if its best to wait a bit longer for my purchase as I'm sure I read somewhere there will be new PB hardward release soon..?

Thanks for your help
    02-06-12 05:01 AM
    Your curve should work just fine. I believe bridge works on OS 5 or later.

I'd only wait if you require your playbook to have a 4G radio - otherwise, get one now and start enjoying!
    02-06-12 05:21 AM
    welcome, and yes to both! it will bridge to the 8520, and i'd probably wait for the new pb just for the faster cpu, although the current processor is adequate and i can't see why you'd need a separate data plan if you already have a bb to bridge, so if you're...frugal, the price is certainly appealing on the current model
    02-06-12 05:23 AM
    Nice to read you.

I too believe you should get one now. Besides the 3G, new processor and NFC, it appears that the new model is pretty much the same. NFC is in its infancy and if you bridge the 3G isn't as valuble. It will certainly be more expensive than the bargains right now on the original model.
    02-06-12 05:30 AM
    Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.
    I'll let you know how I get on post purchase.

Seems like theres a wealth of info on here so I know where to come if I get stuck!

Thanks again guys
    Pete
    02-06-12 06:49 AM
    Yeah, this site is great - I found out so much stuff
    02-06-12 06:51 AM
    Just thought I would pop in to say a quick hi to you all.Not actually a PB owner yet but should be a purchase real soon.
    Also can I ask if it going to be possible to bridge the PB with my 8520 Curve or is this only possible with better models?

I'd also like opinions on if its best to wait a bit longer for my purchase as I'm sure I read somewhere there will be new PB hardward release soon..?

Thanks for your help
    I have the 8520 Curve and it works great with the PB, so no worries there....

Only thing of note is the bridge browser - if out and baout using that - its using the Curve's browser so not the quickest....

I'm looking at upgrading my phone to a 3G BB, like the Torch 9810 so I can then turn my PB to a 3G PB

Apart from the browser, bridge integration is great
    02-06-12 07:07 AM
    from what has been rumoured so far the processor has been increased to 1.5Ghz and it has 3G/LTE options. if you do not need the 3G/LTE id go ahead and purchase a PB now with the major discounts. the increase in speed processor wise isnt big enough to justify picking one over the other, i'll go as far as to say you probably wont even notice a difference in speed. however if 3G/LTE is an option you're looking for then go for it and wait.
    02-06-12 07:10 AM
    Just thinking out loud but with the imminent release of OS2 is there a chance that there could be upgrading issues if everyone dowloads the updates at the moment of its release..?

(be gentle-I know I need to research OS2 better but like I say just thinking out loud)
    02-06-12 07:11 AM
    Just thinking out loud but with the imminent release of OS2 is there a chance that there could be upgrading issues if everyone dowloads the updates at the moment of its release..?

(be gentle-I know I need to research OS2 better but like I say just thinking out loud)
    Always a chance of that. I remember one of my updates took a real long time to download.
    02-06-12 07:29 AM
    Didnt really want to start a new thread but can I ask about antivirus security etc..is this an issue on the PB or even a consideration?

I guess its a 'which program' is recommended question..possible for Malware too?
    Last edited by xpeterpx; 02-06-12 at 08:30 AM.
    02-06-12 08:26 AM
    Didnt really want to start a new thread but can I ask about antivirus security etc..is this an issue on the PB or even a consideration?

I guess its a 'which program' is recommended question.
    Not an issue. Only would be if you downloaded an infected file onthe pb and then access it from a computer but it won't effect your your pb.
    xpeterpx likes this.
    02-06-12 08:30 AM

Thanks for your help
    Hi and WELCOME!!!...you have found the BEST source of info for BB. I suggest you upgrade the phone...get a 32G PB while they're still discounted and ENJOY!!!
    02-06-12 09:00 AM
    Not an issue. Only would be if you downloaded an infected file onthe pb and then access it from a computer but it won't effect your your pb.
    So no issues with using the PB for security sensitive surfing like internet banking?
    02-06-12 09:23 AM
    So no issues with using the PB for security sensitive surfing like internet banking?
    That depends, do you do that on a pc? I've never heard of an issue. I have heard if you're really worried about it to use the bridge browser, not the wifi one for those transactions but I don't worry about it as I don't worry about it on my pc. Take precautions on any device.
    02-06-12 09:30 AM
    Thanks again for all your help
    02-06-12 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD