Was watching a Youtube video of the playbook at SXSW and I apologize if this has been talked about already, but I think I saw a different gesture that wasn't specifically talked about before.

That's the video, it occurs at 1:30. He is in the web browser and it appears he swiped from the top or maybe the top right corner?

But the menu he brings down is like a system panel with what looks like notifications, time/date, orientation lock, bluetooth and I'll assume Wifi/3G/4G and battery are there as well. Also, the top left corner is flashing red with 1 and an icon.

I'm also going to make the assumption that they are showing off more features and functionality but tell people they can't report things until blackberry makes it officially official, whether through their own youtube videos or a much-needed press release. I think that gesture was accidentally released.
    03-19-11 08:46 PM
    Was watching a Youtube video of the playbook at SXSW and I apologize if this has been talked about already, but I think I saw a different gesture that wasn't specifically talked about before.

That's the video, it occurs at 1:30. He is in the web browser and it appears he swiped from the top or maybe the top right corner?

But the menu he brings down is like a system panel with what looks like notifications, time/date, orientation lock, bluetooth and I'll assume Wifi/3G/4G and battery are there as well. Also, the top left corner is flashing red with 1 and an icon.

I'm also going to make the assumption that they are showing off more features and functionality but tell people they can't report things until blackberry makes it officially official, whether through their own youtube videos or a much-needed press release. I think that gesture was accidentally released.
    No, that gesture has been used by RIM demonstrators in several private demos. It's been around since last month i believe. Just a way to see your icons and time with out closing the app they say.
    03-19-11 08:51 PM
    Yeah, I think it's awesome...

And I felt like a hero for finding it.
    03-19-11 08:53 PM
    Awesome find, can't wait for a full review from someone here or getting my hands on one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-11 10:02 PM
    It's a way to bring down the notification bar by swiping down either the upper left or upper right side of the bezel. At least that's how it's done in the current simulator. I made an animation of how it works if it helps.

Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 03-20-11 at 02:57 AM.
    03-19-11 10:03 PM
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Very interesting.
    03-20-11 02:21 AM
    Doesn't anyone think that with so many gestures built into the UI, there will be a long learning period for the Playbook?
    In that sense the iPad is good to go out of the box, you touch what you see.
    And further, if you were to change platforms then there will be a whole new unlearning-learning curve.
    Just something that came to my mind.
    Would still buy the PB though...
    03-20-11 07:38 AM
    Doesn't anyone think that with so many gestures built into the UI, there will be a long learning period for the Playbook?
    And further, if you were to change platforms then there will be a whole new unlearning-learning curve.
    No. Kids and adults alike will pick them up in a very brief time. It's not like learning all the keyboard commands for Flight Simulator.
    03-20-11 11:28 AM
    No. Kids and adults alike will pick them up in a very brief time. It's not like learning all the keyboard commands for Flight Simulator.
    Ahh...but how many adults can come anywhere near playing flight simulator? TBH I've seen some of my aunts and uncles, who have never been able to use a computer, use the ipad out of the box and go online to chk out facebook pics of their children and grandchildren. That to me was the first indication of how these tablets are transforming the web experience by making it simple to go online for a huge number of net illiterate people (for lack of a better term). The simple act of pressing the on button to be online and then touching what you see as against booting up, logging in, launching a browser and getting use to a mouse ( lots of ppl in their 50's and 60's have issues with mice and trackpads) has really transformed the web experience.
    By bringing in complicated gestures you are again complicating things for the technologically challeneged folks. And that's where the ipad scores.
    Yes, you and I and countless others of the net generation will have no problem, but there is a sizable elderly population which will, and for them something like the ipad will be very simple and intuitive to use. And that's a potential market which PB and WebOs will lose out on.
    Don't get me wrong, I would not take the ipad unless its given free to me, but if I was to buy a device for my mother (who has never used a PC and has no web experience) I would get her the ipad. She has no use for the strenghts of the PB (multitasking and actual utility), but can definitely use the ipad to get online without too much fuss.
    Just my two cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sam_b77; 03-20-11 at 04:26 PM.
    03-20-11 04:22 PM
    You know, after seeing so many videos, I've got a good theoretical grasp of all the gestures haha. We'll see how it translates to when I have the real thing in my hands though
    03-20-11 04:26 PM
    No because the gestures are based on natural movements.

"I'd like to go to the app open to the right" = swipe right to left

"I'd like to go to the app open to the left" = swipe left to right

"I'd like to open the menu" = pull it down from the top ( like menus on the top of Windows PC and Mac task bars in programs; aka already learned)

"I'd like to close the app" = swipe it away (like flicking something away from you to make it go away)

Then the keyboard and quick peek at the clock\info bar are really the only gestures that would have to be "learned" per say.

Very simple/clever user interface
    03-20-11 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD