I post this here at the risk of being ignored by virtue of the status of the Playbook. But I still use it, both as an alarm clock, a nice-sounding stream player and, on occasion, for viewing internet resources where having the large screen is a benefit. And yes, as my handle suggests, most all of my streaming is CBC Radio...Radio One, mostly, but a bit of Radio 2. And CBC's change of streaming (from Triton/streamtheworld.com to something else) is driving my PlayBook bonkers.

Well, not bonkers, since basically any attempt to play a stream results in PlayBook's protests that it's a CODECs that it doesn't understand, or that the stream is corrupt.

In looking at the objects used here, I'm thinking that it's HTTP Live Streaming...which my Passport has no trouble with, and which I'd hoped that HLS would be an HTML5 encode. Apparently not. But I've tried using Dolphin as well, with no success, as doing so (by entering the raw URLs for the stream) results in Dolphin's attempt to save the file, uselessly, and entering the raw URL in PlayBook's browser, while resulting in a displayed page, has a Start button that doesn't work on the PlayBook OS (but does using Windows 10's Edge browser, or IE8.

Any hints as to how I might make this work? Or maybe I'm just confined to using the CBC Radio/CBC Music Android apps, and relegate my PlayBook to retired status.
    10-11-16 11:32 AM
    You could try this site: * *Online Radio, webradio, internetradio & music - Listen for free now * * * Type CBC into the search and it'll pull up stations. Does take up to a minute to get going once you've selected your station, though. So, if you've a particular station you're always going to then you should bookmark it at that point.
    Kudos that you keep rockin' that Playbook! I think that's awesome!
    Hope you get some answers on that, sorry.
    10-11-16 03:09 PM
    Does Nobex still work on PB? Can you open the streams through that? Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    CBCListener likes this.
    10-11-16 05:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, perfectly I listen to my college radio station all the time along with NPR.

 Passport SQW100-1/ 10.3.1.2876, Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576, Classic SQC100-4/ 10.3.2.2836 
    10-11-16 06:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just recently Nobex has not been able to play CBC either. That was my goto app for listening to CBC on my Playbook. It still works for my other radio channels, but not CBC.
    10-11-16 07:36 PM
    You could try this site: * *Online Radio, webradio, internetradio & music - Listen for free now * * * Type CBC into the search and it'll pull up stations. Does take up to a minute to get going once you've selected your station, though. So, if you've a particular station you're always going to then you should bookmark it at that point.
    10-11-16 09:38 PM
    Just recently Nobex has not been able to play CBC either. That was my goto app for listening to CBC on my Playbook. It still works for my other radio channels, but not CBC.
    I think CBC is blocking streams. They seem to want you to stream from their website so they can play ads.
    brookie229 likes this.
    10-12-16 05:47 AM
    I think CBC is blocking streams. They seem to want you to stream from their website so they can play ads.
    I think you are right about this--thanks. Must be a fairly new development in the CBC business model.
    10-12-16 08:43 AM
    I post this here at the risk of being ignored by virtue of the status of the Playbook. But I still use it, both as an alarm clock, a nice-sounding stream player and, on occasion, for viewing internet resources where having the large screen is a benefit. And yes, as my handle suggests, most all of my streaming is CBC Radio...Radio One, mostly, but a bit of Radio 2. And CBC's change of streaming (from Triton/streamtheworld.com to something else) is driving my PlayBook bonkers.

Well, not bonkers, since basically any attempt to play a stream results in PlayBook's protests that it's a CODECs that it doesn't understand, or that the stream is corrupt.

In looking at the objects used here, I'm thinking that it's HTTP Live Streaming...which my Passport has no trouble with, and which I'd hoped that HLS would be an HTML5 encode. Apparently not. But I've tried using Dolphin as well, with no success, as doing so (by entering the raw URLs for the stream) results in Dolphin's attempt to save the file, uselessly, and entering the raw URL in PlayBook's browser, while resulting in a displayed page, has a Start button that doesn't work on the PlayBook OS (but does using Windows 10's Edge browser, or IE8.

Any hints as to how I might make this work? Or maybe I'm just confined to using the CBC Radio/CBC Music Android apps, and relegate my PlayBook to retired status.
    Just to be clear, are you trying to access the streams from cbc.ca/listen?

Have you tried it in Origami with a different user agent?
    10-12-16 08:54 AM
    Just to be clear, are you trying to access the streams from cbc.ca/listen?

Have you tried it in Origami with a different user agent?
    I haven't tried Origami, although I suppose I might...I just forgot about it as an option. But it turns out that the suggestion to use radio.net was a winner....not only on the PlayBook browser, but Today's Alarm Clock, the application I use as a clock-radio, also figures out amidst all the clutter where the stream is,, and PLAYS it.

Thanks to all for your interest and comments.
    mh1983 and coffee-turtle like this.
    10-12-16 11:23 AM
    I haven't tried Origami, although I suppose I might...I just forgot about it as an option. But it turns out that the suggestion to use radio.net was a winner....not only on the PlayBook browser, but Today's Alarm Clock, the application I use as a clock-radio, also figures out amidst all the clutter where the stream is,, and PLAYS it.

Thanks to all for your interest and comments.
    Great news! Glad to hear it worked out. When it comes to the PlayBook, if something works, go for it and enjoy while it does. Hopefully radio.net will keep working for you for a long time.
    10-12-16 11:28 AM
    That's actually not true. If you consult the FAQ page, one entry is the list of raw URLs for the new streams. For example, Winnipeg's Radio One stream is http://liveradio.cbc.ca/i/CBCR1_WPG@...ex_96_a-p.m3u8.

They work in a more-standard-and/or-robust browser like Windows EDGE or IE, but the PlayBook browser doesn't hook into the controls on the page, nor does Dolphin understand that the stream is to be played, not saved.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-12-16 11:28 AM
    <Ding><Ding><Ding><Ding><Ding><Ding>!!!!

You win the prize, as that was exactly what the doctor ordered. Not only does RadioNet do whatever PlayBook needs to make it happy, the URL is clear (not that I have a problem with cryptic, as another reply suggests) and that Today's Alarm Clock, the clock/radio application that I go to sleep and wake up to, finds the stream in all the other objects on that page and plays it after a brief think. So thank you, thank you, thank you (and everyone else here, if you would, do the same to get the count up, please). You've given my PlayBook a new lease on life (to say nothing about the other two I have stashed away if this one goes south)!
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-12-16 11:34 AM
    That was my finding, too. Odd, though...for anyone who's downloaded the CBC Radio APK on BB10 (I have been using that on my Passport, and overall it's not bad, and doesn't play commercials on startup), the name of that file includes the phrase "nobex". I have to think that CBC has licensed Nobex's player for the core functionality, and the BB10 app does CBC streams, but I don't use it because they've never released a subscription version of that app (and I hate the preliminary commercials in the free version). So maybe we might see an update for the PlayBook version, if there's not one already (I'm going to check). But I'm good, as you may have seen.
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-12-16 11:41 AM
    I now have a PB in my possession again and will be using this workaround. Thanks to all for sharing this great info!

Does anyone have a creative solution to getting CBC video/TV to load from their website? I get a "media not recognized"error, so suspect I'm out of luck. Worth a shot, maybe someone has a better idea. Thanks!
    11-15-16 01:11 PM
    for radio.. I like cbc with nobex .. but for tv, I prefer cnn..
    11-15-16 06:13 PM
    Try livenewschat they have a CBC stream I think
    11-16-16 11:41 AM
    mh1983,

You can check what CBC offers up through Youtube. First just search by "CBC" Then keep scrolling down to get an idea of the various channels they offer like news , music, marketplace.

You probably won't get any recent full episode entertainment offerings - just clips. However, info shows usually are available. It's also possible to get some news shows that are livestreamed.
    11-27-16 10:40 AM
    Excellent information here, I will get out my PlayBook and try it out.

Posted using my Awesome BlackBerry Z30
    11-27-16 10:18 PM
    I was looking for full episodes as they are archived on CBC's site. Coronation St, Mr D, documentaries, etc. Was hoping there might be a user agent combo that works on Origami, but thanks for the suggestions above!
    11-28-16 06:43 AM