10-30-12 06:27 AM
33 12
tools
    I just purchased a pair of 64 GB Playbooks for myself and my wife from Office Depot. I've had a Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) phone since Feb 2011, and am looking forward for my contract to end. My plan is to go back to my previous no-contract phone, and use the Playbook for everything else.

So far I've used the phone quite a lot for internet browsing and e-reading, plus a little music playing and email.The hardware of the phone isn't bad, and T-Mobile has provided OK service, but I've found the Android OS to be frustrating, and rather wish I'd researched a bit more and just got a Blackberry phone from the beginning. I was very pleased to find that, at Office Depot, a 64 GB Playbook cost less than a 16 GB Nexus.

I've played around a lot with various operating systems on my home PC, besides Windows have used SuSE, Caldera, and Mepis Linux, PC-BSD, and my favorite, BeOS. So, I was interested when I heard of the Blackberry OS, and how it is NOT based on Linux.

So far, I'm very pleased with my Playbook. Great hardware specs, great OS, great build quality. There was a slight hurdle when trying to create my Blackberry user ID. I kept getting a server error when trying to create the ID on the Playbook, so I logged on with my PC and created the user ID, then just "signed in" on the Playbook. Everything else went very smoothly.

I downloaded Blackberry Desktop Software for my PC, and synced my MP3 collection, roughly 30 GB, with the Playbook (took about 3 hours), and let tunes play on "shuffle" for a while. Also set up my email and have noticed how I get a blinking red light every time there is a new message.

The only downside that I can see is that there aren't nearly so many apps as for Android or Windows. This reminds me of BeOS very much, a great OS with not a huge number of apps. However, the apps that I've tried work very well, and I love how the OS can easily handle multiple apps running simultaneously. Looking forward to BB10, and hoping Blackberry scores a huge home run and sees rising fortunes again.
    10-23-12 06:58 PM
    Welcome and continue to enjoy. There are two methods of notifications, well, two visual and one auditory. There's the red led and there's also a 'red halo' that wraps around the upper left corner and seems to glow - some folks think their screen is defective. There can also be a tone (not changeable).
    10-23-12 07:55 PM
    Yesss! Another ex-BeOS user. Welcome aboard.
    piman02 likes this.
    10-23-12 08:01 PM
    dang it I wish OD had stayed around here a bit longer ! We also could have partook of their lowered pricepoint on the 64s

Was just chatting up a neighbour into acquiring a PB since his significant other, wants him to quit &%#@@ up their laptop ... hinted to him to get his own 'net accessor ... look at the PB she stated and asked me where if still available in our region. I noticed the mobile reseller in costco still was advertising PB @ $148 ..will chk next wk #s and model next shopping trip and enlighten the neighbour. LOL
    10-23-12 08:01 PM
    Welcome to CB and hang onto your PB's. You'll see alot bigger selection in App World once BB10 is released as the apps will be compatable with one another.
    10-23-12 08:53 PM
    welcome friend
    10-23-12 08:58 PM
    Welcome! Enjoy the pb and cb
    10-23-12 09:44 PM
    Congrats on the purchase. I got mine recently and so far love the thing to pieces. Can't wait for all the updates due out for it next year.
    10-23-12 09:58 PM
    Welcome aboard. You will become addicted to the pb's where you can't put them down.
    10-23-12 10:18 PM
    Welcome! Hope you continue to enjoy your PlayBooks.
    10-23-12 10:21 PM
    Welcome to the Fray!!! Grab a seat and stay awhile. Lots to read in the threads and if you need a copy of the User Guides, click below.

Enjoy!
    10-23-12 10:28 PM
    Welcome to the forum.
    10-23-12 10:40 PM
    I got my PlayBook a couple of weeks ago and love it. I got my wife a Galaxy tab two days later. I have had the opportunity to compare them side by side and like the pb better. I find the navigation alot better on the pb as well as the transition between applications. I originally bought the pb to complement the 9930. Now I think it's the other way around, the 9930 compliments the pb. Can't wait to see what BB 10 brings to the table. Enjoying the experience so far.
    mrfreeze likes this.
    10-23-12 10:55 PM
    The 99xx and pb is a great combo.
    10-24-12 12:20 AM
    Welcome and continue to enjoy. There are two methods of notifications, well, two visual and one auditory. There's the red led and there's also a 'red halo' that wraps around the upper left corner and seems to glow - some folks think their screen is defective. There can also be a tone (not changeable).
    I don't get any red led, only the red halo thingy. :O
    10-24-12 01:22 AM
    I don't get any red led, only the red halo thingy. :O
    You can try: Options (gear symbol), Sounds/Notifications/VisualNotification - use the drop down to select
    10-24-12 01:26 AM
    R.E. Red halo thingy (Glow) vs. LED: go to Sounds & Notifications > Visual Notification and you can choose Glow, LED, or both. Also adjust notification sound volume.
    10-24-12 01:37 AM
    Welcome, enjoy,they are great tablets and are just gonna get better.
    10-24-12 08:43 AM
    Welcome and enjoy your Playbooks. I absolutely love mine!
    10-24-12 08:48 AM
    I wish they make the 64GB LTE Playbooks
    10-24-12 09:03 AM
    I too picked up a 64gb PB just a couple of days ago. For my 1 year old to play on, I reasoned it was so cheap and well made that he shouldn't be able to break it, but if he does its not a huge loss. Plus I get to play on it when i'm not on my SGT P1000.
    10-26-12 11:55 AM
    Excellent purchase decision! Enjoy your new PB's and welcome to CB
    10-26-12 04:17 PM
    Welcome to CB and hang onto your PB's. You'll see alot bigger selection in App World once BB10 is released as the apps will be compatable with one another.
    At least we hope there is a larger selection of applications covering more of the types of applications deemed missing from the current BlackBerry Tablet AppWorld.
    10-27-12 05:57 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and good call on the big PlayBook if you get into it your going to need the space.
    10-27-12 06:06 AM
    I downloaded Blackberry Desktop Software for my PC, and synced my MP3 collection, roughly 30 GB, with the Playbook (took about 3 hours), and let tunes play on "shuffle" for a while.
    One small recommendation if you like:
    If you're looking for a really *great* MP3 Player that supports gapless playback or crossfading and has an EQ for even better sound quality, check "Neutron Music Player" in AppWorld.
    10-27-12 06:30 AM
33 12