I would pay for an app that that I could side load but don't have to. If I knew that it would work and it didn't cost much. Side loaded apps are a pain in the PlayButt.
    publisher220 and Carl Estes like this.
    06-19-14 12:08 AM
    I am definitely up to use your service if you go ahead. Great idea :-)
    playbooksolutions likes this.
    06-19-14 01:27 AM
    Interested 110%!
    06-19-14 03:23 AM
    While I like the idea of having a database of tested apps, please allow me for a moment to play devil's advocate here. I'm honestly not trying to knock your idea, as I think the Playbook is at a point where community support is the only thing that'll keep this device going. But on to my quandary. If my understanding is correct, you will be providing converted apps which are known to run on the Playbook for a fee. Value add over other providers is that these are KNOWN to be working and are TESTED (which isn't always the case on other sites). Now, what's to stop me from going to your site, checking which apps are known and tested to work on the PB, and then get the apk and convert it myself?

Again, I'm just trying to highlight a potential pitfall to the system. One option is to have users pay for access to the site itself, but not sure how many you'd be able to sign up under a structure like this. Maybe you've thought of the scenario above, maybe not. I again do applaud your efforts to keep the Playbook alive as I'm one to buy something and then use it until it dies rather than upgrading for the sake of it.
    06-19-14 07:17 AM
    Definitely, good luck

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 07:23 AM
    OP.... I think it is a great idea if you are in it for the fun of just doing it. But t sounds like a LOT of work and money to invest. Hours of testing each app, having to purchase the app and then contact the developers and then hosting the files.... I think that if you do expect some kind of "reward" (revenues) you will be disappointed.

I would talk with existing PlayBook app developers, find someone who has updated their app recently (if you can). Try to get a handle on how many people are really using their PlayBook or buying apps these days. Maybe see if CrackBerry would share to user data on the PlayBook forums...
    06-19-14 08:10 AM
    I figured that out straight away. Come on Bla1ze you can do it lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 using the CB Forums App.
    My bad yo!
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-19-14 08:15 AM
    Misunderstood bla1ze's problem. For those who want to see the website just select visitor access, enter word in the the box below and there you are. Sorry for not introducing to everything at the start, squarespace is a web designing service, which I use to alter the layout of the web page to suit its needs. At the moment I'm only using trial period, meaning that my website will be monitoring the access to the web page (popping up a message that this is a trial account). More info about squarespace is in their website Build a Website - Squarespace
    Not your fault man, I was just being stupid and not thinking.
    luke.trevorrow likes this.
    06-19-14 08:17 AM
    Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
    06-19-14 08:21 AM
    People, I have reviewed my plan once again and scalemaster and tovento brought some of the points that might actually be the truth which I don't want to believe so quick. The update to my plan is that instead of aiming to charge money for the original developers' applications as they would highly disagree with the fee on their android product which is free of charge on Google Play market, I will try to contact them to allow me simply distribute for no cost (promoting their products). This way I might actually pull the deal with those developers and when it comes to earning some revenue, it will only be from the custom built applications that you would have to buy. That would be me partnering the application developers out here and see how it goes that way. What do you think people? Is this the way to go?
    dmlis likes this.
    06-19-14 09:19 AM
    Sounds good to me. My only concern, like some others here is do you have all the time for Dev negotiations, Project Admin and Testing?

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-19-14 09:50 AM
    Just a stray thought..... The PlayBook Rooting subforum used to have some sharp people visit there. I have not been there in a while but some of those people were app development types. Also I think the guy/gal/group that developed the Origami Browser is still very active with the PlayBook.
    I don't see how you can make enough money to pay for your time though. The pie is smaller every day and the people who buy a PlayBook now are not big spenders. Myself included!
    06-19-14 12:50 PM
    No more comments people?
    06-20-14 10:56 AM
    I want to ask you all, how long would you wait for this to become operational? Because that would help me to plan everything under your allocated time frame. Thank you.
    06-20-14 11:02 AM
    People, I have reviewed my plan once again and scalemaster and tovento brought some of the points that might actually be the truth which I don't want to believe so quick. The update to my plan is that instead of aiming to charge money for the original developers' applications as they would highly disagree with the fee on their android product which is free of charge on Google Play market, I will try to contact them to allow me simply distribute for no cost (promoting their products). This way I might actually pull the deal with those developers and when it comes to earning some revenue, it will only be from the custom built applications that you would have to buy. That would be me partnering the application developers out here and see how it goes that way. What do you think people? Is this the way to go?
    Do you have a feel yet for developers that might be receptive? What about some of the larger names? I assume it will be kinda like job applications, e.g. where you send out a bunch of applications and get back a few nibbles. Like someone was saying, goodereader has made a pretty good first stab but there are still a lot of apps that don't work. To guarantee that an app will work may require some rework on the part of the developer. Those should have a negotiated charge, even if originally free on android. Those that just work should still remain free, if originally free on android. Probably good to contact the developer in either case just out of courtesy. It would be REALLY great if you can get some name apps but I know it would be difficult. BBRY couldn't even do it...

As for a time line, that is hard to say on how long the hardware is going to last. I'm hoping for another 1-2 years. So I'd say the site should be operational in 6-8 months?
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 06-20-14 at 01:36 PM.
    The_Merovingian likes this.
    06-20-14 12:08 PM
    How long do you estimate that it will take on average to "fully test" an app?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CB Forums mobile app
    06-20-14 12:26 PM
    I would definitely support an idea like this for sure!! Love my PlayBook I use it daily.

Posted Via my ? Q10 ?
    06-20-14 12:33 PM
    I am interested for sure.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:58 PM
    Nice website. I think that at this rate we as PB owners would be more concerned with useful and functional applications rather than the user experience.

I vote that you continue your good work sir. My PB is still used daily.
    06-20-14 01:35 PM
    I want to ask you all, how long would you wait for this to become operational? Because that would help me to plan everything under your allocated time frame. Thank you.
    I think it is the other way around. You tell us how long you think it might take to have your first apps ready and we comment on that. It is all about your time and effort. Anything you do we will be subject to as far as timing goes. That having been said, I think the 1-2 years mentioned is reasonable.
    06-20-14 06:41 PM
    Definitely will pay into this lol

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 06:52 PM
    While I like the idea of having a database of tested apps, please allow me for a moment to play devil's advocate here. I'm honestly not trying to knock your idea, as I think the Playbook is at a point where community support is the only thing that'll keep this device going. But on to my quandary. If my understanding is correct, you will be providing converted apps which are known to run on the Playbook for a fee. Value add over other providers is that these are KNOWN to be working and are TESTED (which isn't always the case on other sites). Now, what's to stop me from going to your site, checking which apps are known and tested to work on the PB, and then get the apk and convert it myself?

Again, I'm just trying to highlight a potential pitfall to the system. One option is to have users pay for access to the site itself, but not sure how many you'd be able to sign up under a structure like this. Maybe you've thought of the scenario above, maybe not. I again do applaud your efforts to keep the Playbook alive as I'm one to buy something and then use it until it dies rather than upgrading for the sake of it.
    I have a thought to add to this.

Is it possible to build an app that itself is a secondary app store in addition to BlackBerry World and fill it with the apps you speak of that have been converted to run on the PlayBook? Then there would be no transfer of bar files or apk files. Would help with reducing piracy.

What is you think OP?

Posted via CB App from my Galaxy S4 Mini with an LED CrackLight ;-)
    06-20-14 09:32 PM
    I use my Playbook everyday and would love to see a new app store. Count me in.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:28 AM
    Axllebeer that is a very interesting and unique idea that I will definitely overview as I go along with the work.
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-21-14 11:20 AM
    I have a thought to add to this.

Is it possible to build an app that itself is a secondary app store in addition to BlackBerry World and fill it with the apps you speak of that have been converted to run on the PlayBook? Then there would be no transfer of bar files or apk files. Would help with reducing piracy.

What is you think OP?

Posted via CB App from my Galaxy S4 Mini with an LED CrackLight ;-)
    That's sort of how Snap works for BB10. Seamless d/l and installation. I think it even accesses Google Play somehow...I don't think you can buy anything, tho.
    06-21-14 03:33 PM
149 12345 ...