Btw since when do high school students use the phrase "Posthaste" ?
    Literate ones? I take back the "jock" crack, albeit I'll need more evidence anon.
    08-17-11 03:02 PM
    just go for the one that gives what you want...
    08-17-11 03:33 PM
    Literate ones? I take back the "jock" crack, albeit I'll need more evidence anon.
    Hey, I was going to reference Shakespeare and use "anon" myself.
    08-17-11 03:42 PM
    I bought an HP DM1Z net book and it's pretty boss. By "back to school", I mean doing grad work towards a physician's assistant degree. Sorry for those I offended, but is there really any excuse for the PB being released in such a state, with little to no improvements these many months later?

For those that graciously welcomed me despite my acerbic tone, thank you! Still going to give the 9900 a shot as that is one cherry piece of kit. However, none of my friends have BB. Will this utterly defeat BBM for me? Or is there some way it interfaces with everyone else's SMS? Or even iMessage?
    Last edited by tchocky77; 08-17-11 at 04:20 PM.
    08-17-11 03:58 PM
    tchocky77 :

You did the right thing. Moving to a netbook tells me you were looking for a more standalone device with more traditional (PC) functionality. The PB was clearly the wrong choice. Good for you.

That said, I'm pretty fed up with the "incomplete" comments regarding the playbook. There's a marketing term call "predispositional marketing" and any of us who have bought luxury items have experienced this. Here's how this works; the BMW salesperson will tell you BEFORE you take the test drive what you will experience. The ride, superb handling, the quality and the exclusivity. Guess what, at the end of the test drive, you're experienced it all ! He predisposed you to what was going to happen and during the test drive you subconsciously looked for things to validate these ideas. Yet, put two cars side by side and test drive both without the before dialog and the "unbelievable handling" isn't quite as pronounced and they might pretty much handle to same.

With the Playbook, we are constantly bombarded with "it's not finished, its incomplete". So guess what happens, unless you have really researched the device and really know it's good and bad points, you unbox the thing and it doesn't have this or that or the other thing, yup its definitely incomplete.

Yet, the iPad has crappy a cameras, no flash support, no USB, no HDMI etc. etc. and yet we perceive this device as "complete".

Such is the power of marketing.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 08-17-11 at 04:28 PM.
    08-17-11 04:25 PM
    What he said ^

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 04:35 PM
    tchocky77 :

You did the right thing. Moving to a netbook tells me you were looking for a more standalone device with more traditional (PC) functionality. The PB was clearly the wrong choice. Good for you.

That said, I'm pretty fed up with the "incomplete" comments regarding the playbook. There's a marketing term call "predispositional marketing" and any of us who have bought luxury items have experienced this. Here's how this works; the BMW salesperson will tell you BEFORE you take the test drive what you will experience. The ride, superb handling, the quality and the exclusivity. Guess what, at the end of the test drive, you're experienced it all ! He predisposed you to what was going to happen and during the test drive you subconsciously looked for things to validate these ideas. Yet, put two cars side by side and test drive both without the before dialog and the "unbelievable handling" isn't quite as pronounced and they might pretty much handle to same.

With the Playbook, we are constantly bombarded with "it's not finished, its incomplete". So guess what happens, unless you have really researched the device and really know it's good and bad points, you unbox the thing and it doesn't have this or that or the other thing, yup its definitely incomplete.

Yet, the iPad has crappy a cameras, no flash support, no USB, no HDMI etc. etc. and yet we perceive this device as "complete".

*stands and applauds*
    Bravo, bravo! Post of the day!

08-17-11 04:41 PM
    I bought an HP DM1Z net book and it's pretty boss. By "back to school", I mean doing grad work towards a physician's assistant degree. Sorry for those I offended, but is there really any excuse for the PB being released in such a state, with little to no improvements these many months later?
    You didn't offend me at all. I just don't want to find myself under your care with judgement and behaviour like you exhibited. Grad work eh?
    08-17-11 05:01 PM
    ...Such is the power of marketing.

This sums up what's wrong with RIM, lack of it.
    08-17-11 05:09 PM
    Quick! Attack this scoundrel! Question his background! Question whether he even had a PlayBook!

How dare he come on to a 'forum' and give his own views on a POS product that is basically a $500 paperweight.

Get your heads out of RIM's a$$.

The PlayBook is a flop... you may have heard of that, it's a marketing term for when something fails abysmally because the company producing it couldn't organize a **** up in a brewery.
    evolutionPlaybook and brucep1 like this.
    08-17-11 05:09 PM
    tchocky77 :

I mostly agree with you. Although, I disagree with the iPad statement. Unlike the PB, Android tabs and the iPad have everything the manufacturer planned to offer right out of the box (Xoom excluded). With the PB, native email is coming, calendar, no spell check, no NDK and other things are missing (so far). A lot of the missing features have been known as "coming soon". Therefor, if it is still coming (native applications especially), it is not yet complete. The PB is a great device for what it is right now, but it is not complete. It's almost like a really good beta. Things still need to be added.

That being said, I am sure there are people who really enjoy the PB. But looking at it from an outside perspective, the PB does (and IMO is) look like an unfinished product.

Please do not take this as a bashing post because it is not my inent. I have used the PB, and I find it to be a very nice device and I am currently waiting to see QNX on a smartphone.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-17-11 at 05:30 PM.
    Darlaten likes this.
    08-17-11 05:28 PM
    ZZZzzzzzz.....
    08-17-11 05:40 PM
    So the big, bold flashy Playbook displays at the store got you to do an impulse buy huh! /sarcasm

Blackberry is only device that does BBM. Apple is only device that will iMessage. Both are locked ecosystems. Both will do SMS to people outside the ecosystem.
    08-17-11 05:40 PM

Although I'm loathe to give any credit to Apple, at least when Apple says that the Ipad can do something such as Skype and MSN, you can rest assure that the Ipad really CAN do it.

When it comes to the Playbook, all you get is RIM indicating on its website that the Playbook can do these things only to find out that the situation is far from true.

People are not wrong when they say the Playbook is incomplete - it is. RIM continues to this day indicating that the Playbook can do stuff that it currently cant. In the marketing world, that's usually called falsed advertising.
    avt123 and brucep1 like this.
    08-17-11 05:49 PM
    ^^ Yep! Those pictures of Skype, Msn, and Kindle icons at launch events....amazing

08-17-11 05:55 PM
    ^^ Where's the Fantasy Football app?
    08-17-11 06:02 PM
    I dont know about everyone else but im sick of all the whingeing about the PB, i absolutely love mine, sorry if its not good enough of a "toy" for you :/

mozzamay likes this.
    08-17-11 06:16 PM
    There's a lot of this attitude around that would suggest a severe inferiority complex. If a tablet working as advertised makes it a "toy", then RIM could do far worse than following suit and going into the "toy" business.
    08-17-11 06:28 PM
    ^^ Where's the Fantasy Football app?
    They're halfway finished with that.
    08-17-11 06:32 PM
    I bought a playbook for back to school. HUGE mistake. I wish I'd looked here first. It's safe to say that I might have taken a clue from the legions of BB faithful who are so very unhappy with this tablet. What a hunk of ****. The keyboard makes it a hunk of **** I can't even interface with efficiently. I had intended to introduce myself to BB with the PB and then maybe look into getting a 9900 when they become available on ATT, but this thing is going to make people like me steer well clear of BB.

If the phones are as limited in functionality as this thing, how can they even be called "smartphones?" At any rate, it's going back to the retailer. Posthaste.

*goes to check out the Crackberry iPhone forum*
    You're returning it because of the keyboard? What did you expect from a virtual keyboard? Wow. Not sure how many tabs don't have one.

Welcome to Crackberry. Now return it and go away, assuming you ever actually bought one. Too many "newbies" are just other device fans who got a whim to sign up and put da playbook down.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-17-11 at 06:46 PM.
    08-17-11 06:41 PM
    Btw since when do high school students use the phrase "Posthaste" ?
    And when do they use the word "boss" That stopped being used in 1970.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-17-11 at 07:28 PM.
    08-17-11 06:48 PM
    I returned my PB. The lack of autocorrect, bugs with the notifications and virtually no third party support made the PB pretty much useless. I loved the hardware and gestures, but overall half-baked and woefully undersupported.
    And you are still here because? _________ (fill in blank)
    08-17-11 06:51 PM

For those that graciously welcomed me despite my acerbic tone, thank you! Still going to give the 9900 a shot as that is one cherry piece of kit. However, none of my friends have BB. Will this utterly defeat BBM for me? Or is there some way it interfaces with everyone else's SMS? Or even iMessage?
    I scoured the whole thread, maybe I missed it but I don't see anyone that graciously welcomed you. Change your attitude and that could change..
    08-17-11 06:54 PM
    You're returning it because of the keyboard? What did you expect from a virtual keyboard?
    Autocorrect? Arrow Keys? Let's get REALLLL crazy. A DELETE KEY EVEN???
    Ya know. Stuff that has existed on every other virtual keyboard for a decade.

Dare to dream man.
    kirson and brucep1 like this.
    08-17-11 07:15 PM
    Autocorrect? Arrow Keys? Let's get REALLLL crazy. A DELETE KEY EVEN???
    Ya know. Stuff that has existed on every other virtual keyboard for a decade.

Dare to dream man.
    Return it and move on.
    08-17-11 07:21 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD