I am in the market to buy a tablet. My wife owns an iPad but it lacks Flash, ability to attach docs and a few more annoyances. I came adross the Playbook via an ad in the WSJ and was very impressed after reading and reviewing the product. Before buying it I had a few questions that I couldnt find the answers to and was hoping that the group cold help me out

1. Am i able to easily attach Word type docs to emails, online forms (job applications, etc)?

2. How robuts is the app store? I read that it was supposed to be integrated with Android but have not seen any confirmation as of today

3. I am in the marketing/advertsising/PR industry so I am always reading online. How capable is the Playbook when it comes to supporting and rendering online newspapers and specifically magazines i.e. Zinio pubs, etc.?

4. Does anyone feel that the size is too small given the all the hype over 10" tablets?

5. Lastly, how would you compare it to the Samsung Galaxy, Amazon Fire or the iPad ( I know this is a very subjective question, please be kind).

This was a bit of a lengthy post and I appreciate your patience. Any help and advice you can give would be appreciated.

Peace,

Slider9499
    06-28-12 08:46 AM
    Welcome!

1 - YES!! This thing is mobile computing platform of course it's easy to do BUSINESS with
    2 - The app store is hovering around 80,000 apps I believe a lot of good ones, but no where near the competition. As for android is has an "android runtime" which plays android apps but that's about ALL it has android wise, here are a list of supported android apps on Playbook: Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store
    3 - Zinio is on playbook it handles it all very well, included a sidelaoded Amazon Kindle app for reading books etc.
    4/5. Compared to EVERYTHING on the market, internally the Playbook is as powerful as an iPad 3 minus it's quad-core GraphicsPU. I personally love the size of the Playbook much like the kindle fire. However the HDMI out, the dual 1080p HD video cameras, the great OS, all of these made me choose the Playbook over lets say an iPad.

Playbook: 1ghz dual core CPU with 1gb ram

AND COME ON LOOK AT THE PRICE.

and and at the end of the year you're likley to see BB10 on Playbooks!
    Unlike apple which has already stopped support for the iPad 1....
    Scotter75 likes this.
    06-28-12 09:04 AM
    1. Attaching files to emails is a breeze on the playbook. The one thing I would suggest is giving the file a name with a keyword because the native file manager workshop best if you click the Search option.

2. App world has most of what I want. Relative to Android or apple is absolute numbers it is quite small. It is growing by much larger percentages though and is closing the gap. I would suggest that if there are any applications that are make-or-break for you then make sure they are there.

Also, I haven't made use of this myself, but you can sideload compatible Android applications, this opening many more to choose from. There are many instructions on how to do this on these forums.

3. The browser is incredible as far as web compatibilities go, also supporting flash and the highest HTML5 support. There is an official Zinio app.

If you post some sites or files you need to use, I am sure one of us would be willing to try them out for you on our PlayBook.

4. I personality love the size. It fits in all of my coat pockets and panty back pockets, so it is always with me. If I watch a movie or TV show I just connector it to my big screen and voila, 50" screen. Plus if you have a BB you also have a remote control for it (alternatively you could use a standaard BT mouwen and keyboard to control it from afar)

5. N/A
    06-28-12 09:11 AM
    I am in the market to buy a tablet. My wife owns an iPad but it lacks Flash, ability to attach docs and a few more annoyances. I came adross the Playbook via an ad in the WSJ and was very impressed after reading and reviewing the product. Before buying it I had a few questions that I couldnt find the answers to and was hoping that the group cold help me out

1. Am i able to easily attach Word type docs to emails, online forms (job applications, etc)?

2. How robuts is the app store? I read that it was supposed to be integrated with Android but have not seen any confirmation as of today

3. I am in the marketing/advertsising/PR industry so I am always reading online. How capable is the Playbook when it comes to supporting and rendering online newspapers and specifically magazines i.e. Zinio pubs, etc.?

4. Does anyone feel that the size is too small given the all the hype over 10" tablets?

5. Lastly, how would you compare it to the Samsung Galaxy, Amazon Fire or the iPad ( I know this is a very subjective question, please be kind).

This was a bit of a lengthy post and I appreciate your patience. Any help and advice you can give would be appreciated.

Peace,

Slider9499
    #1 - Yes, you can attach documents, picts, etc. to emails.
    #2 - Depends on your definition of 'robust'. Personally, I have over 150 games and apps on my PlayBook. The games are cool and good time wasters but I'm more into productivity and business apps, which I have a good handful (GroovyNotes, Conqu, uTrack Pro, SmartOffice2, ProInsights, Meeting Minutes, Print to Go, QFolio...to name a few). And yes, I do have Android apps on my PlayBook (some through App World and some side-loaded).
    #3 - I do have Zinio on my PlayBook. I also have apps News360, PressReader, the Economist, Bloomberg (sideloaded Android app), USA today (sideloaded Android app), CNN (sideloaded Android app), and NY Times (sideloaded Android app).
    #4 - Honestly, I think it is all about personal preference. I love the 7" size as it is extremely portable yet still very functional but others might disagree.
    #5 - I would exclude the Kindle Fire right away as the price is relatively the same as the 16GB PlayBook but the PlayBook has much more features (Bluetooth, HD cameras, more storage, etc.). Plus, if you are looking for an Android tab in the 7" range, I would wait for the Asus Nexus 7 tab. I haven't used a Samsung Galaxy and I'm not a huge fan of the iPad (too big and clunky.. and the interface is very boring).

Really, it is all about personal preference, what you are using it for, and what your budget is. I have two PlayBooks (64 GB and 16GB) so I obviously like it... but others may not. A 32GB PlayBook for $249 is really a steal of a deal though, considering the hardware is great, the OS is robust and will only get better with BB10.

Good luck on your search!!
    Last edited by mnhockeycoach99; 06-28-12 at 09:20 AM.
    06-28-12 09:14 AM
    Love mine. No problems since I got it early last August. Very stable. I use it for ebooks, Podcast, Internet surfing, photography. I take it everywhere I go. Grandson (5) loves it but scares me sometimes when he gets a bit excited when he has it in his hands.
    06-28-12 09:14 AM
    I can't add a lot to the points the others have already addressed, but for my 2 cents:

- The speakers give you great sound. Most definitely the best audio of any tab.

- Publications have improved a great deal since launch. Yes, Zinio's there (and if I have to be completely candid, 7" might be a bit small for a lot of magazine reading). Was thrilled to see The Economist show up in App World a couple of weeks ago.

- Build quality is excellent. I've spent the last year actually USING mine. I carry it with me all the time.
    06-28-12 09:22 AM
    - Build quality is excellent. I've spent the last year actually USING mine. I carry it with me all the time.
    This has to be the biggest plus of the PlayBook. With the combination of its size and excellent browser, you can take the PlayBook with you everywhere. If there is no wifi available and you have a BlackBerry, it just uses your phone for internet access. On some of the more modern non BlackBerry phones, you can just use the phones hotspot feature.
    06-28-12 09:41 AM
    WOW - what a reception!

These are GREAT answers and i really appreciate the fast feedback

Two things I forgot to ask - how is the browser speed? I tried an Asus Transformer TF101 and it was painfully slow. My home wifi gets about 35 mbps down, so I have the speed and the Asus was still slow

Do i have the ability to print from it? This is a MAJOR problem I have with my wife's iPad

Here is a list of some of my fave apps, let me know what isnt available on the Playbook

Rdio
    Spotify
    The Atlantic
    Google Currents
    Zite
    Flipboard
    Mashable
    CIO
    CNET
    AppAdvice
    Swackett
    Stitcher
    Lookout
    HBO GO
    iMediaShare
    Temple Run
    You Tube
    Pandora
    Soundhound
    Shazam
    Downcast
    Amazon - various
    Pic Jointer
    Pic Collage
    Instagram
    Adobe PDF Reader
    Dripbox
    Frametastic
    06-28-12 09:49 AM
    If you have access to a store selling one... I would really take time to go out and test some of the 7" tablets.... I am of course bias as I love my Playbook...... The other area to tread lightly on is apps..... As it is very much personal choice I would do a lot of research... On our forums.... you will find Skype... Netflix .... are a not available and many users knock the Playbook because of it..... Make a list of your must have apps... and check to see it they are avaialble on the playbook..... Many people who purchased Playbooks never checked on if their apps were available and are upset because they never did there homework.... Good luck with whatever you decide......
    06-28-12 09:55 AM
    WOW - what a reception!

These are GREAT answers and i really appreciate the fast feedback

Two things I forgot to ask - how is the browser speed? I tried an Asus Transformer TF101 and it was painfully slow. My home wifi gets about 35 mbps down, so I have the speed and the Asus was still slow

Do i have the ability to print from it? This is a MAJOR problem I have with my wife's iPad

Here is a list of some of my fave apps, let me know what isnt available on the Playbook

Rdio
    Spotify
    The Atlantic
    Google Currents
    Zite
    Flipboard
    Mashable
    CIO
    CNET
    AppAdvice
    Swackett
    Stitcher
    Lookout
    HBO GO
    iMediaShare
    Temple Run
    You Tube
    Pandora
    Soundhound
    Shazam
    Downcast
    Amazon - various
    Pic Jointer
    Pic Collage
    Instagram
    Adobe PDF Reader
    Dripbox
    Frametastic
    While I know that some of these apps are available for the PlayBook and some have alternate apps, your best bet would be to search BlackBerry App World - Free BlackBerry Apps - Official Store for the apps. This is a list of apps for both BB and PlayBook (as an example, Spotify is available for some BlackBerry devices but not for the PlayBook...yet). It will list in the app what devices are supported.

Ps. Also note that there are some websites that have Android apps available for side loading. As an example, I sideloaded Pandora and CNET because they aren't available in BB App World.
    Last edited by mnhockeycoach99; 06-28-12 at 10:48 AM.
    06-28-12 10:45 AM
    Sorry, what is sideloading?
    06-28-12 01:11 PM
    Sideloading is a way of getting Android apps that haven't been added to the PB App World inventory onto your PB.

The CB forum index has a full section detailing how to do it and directions to many popular apps. Check here for an intro & How-To Now, be advised you won't get every Android app, but there are plenty out there.

It sounds complicated at first, but I assure you it's a very simple process.

I only got my PB a few months back with zero experience using tablets and no tech knowledge, and successfully sideloaded apps within a week. If I can sideload, anyone can.
    06-28-12 01:40 PM
    Thanks for the link

Huge help
    06-28-12 02:16 PM
    I bought Galaxy 2 Tab 7.0 last weekend for my wife. I thought having all those apps would make it easier for her to learn to use. Wrong, many of the Android apps don't work on "Ice Cream Sandwich". It is well built and easy to use but no match for the PB. Screen gestures are very limited on G2 in comparison to the PB. The browser isn't as good either. I don't understand the need for apps when you have a browser that works just like the one on a PC. The PB is still the best for anyone that knows how to use a PC.
    I wish I had gotten another PB for her but I did want to find out the difference first hand. So now I know that a $200 PB beats the be-jeebers out of a $250 Android 4.0, 500,000 apps or not. Buy the PB and never look back.
    06-28-12 04:28 PM
    I can't add a lot to the points the others have already addressed, but for my 2 cents:

- The speakers give you great sound. Most definitely the best audio of any tab.

- Publications have improved a great deal since launch. Yes, Zinio's there (and if I have to be completely candid, 7" might be a bit small for a lot of magazine reading). Was thrilled to see The Economist show up in App World a couple of weeks ago.

Agree with these points. Actually, 7 inches is not too small for magazines as both Fortune 500 and Reader's digest were terrific on this tablet. Unfortunately Zinio is not optimized for this size.
    06-28-12 04:57 PM
    Also have a couple of quick questions. I have a 9810, (cant wait till BB10 comes out). Thinking of buying a playbook.

1) I am with ATT, if I tether, will I have to pay a teter fee from ATT?
    2) If I buy PB now, and BB10, comes out will I be able to upgrade to the new BB10?
    3) Which one should I buy the 16 or the 32 model?

Thanks in advance.
    06-29-12 05:41 AM
    Also have a couple of quick questions. I have a 9810, (cant wait till BB10 comes out). Thinking of buying a playbook.

2) If I buy PB now, and BB10, comes out will I be able to upgrade to the new BB10?
    3) Which one should I buy the 16 or the 32 model?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know the 9810 - OS5 is needed for bridging, I believe.

AT&T blocks Bridge use (a kind of tethering) for the Browser but a version is available that bypasses that block.

IF BB10 makes it to the real world (yesterday rim announced a delay till 2013), it is suppose to be available for the pb.

The 32 is more practical if you plan on storing videos or taking videos, music, photos, and adding apps as some of the newer apps are getting larger.
    06-29-12 08:24 AM
    Agree with what has been said already - and I would second the comment about the sound quality from the speakers - there are 2 and they are forward-facing which makes a difference. I often use mine as a music player in the kitchen. Also agree, you can take it anywhere as it's a useful size - not too small for typing, and it has the most intelligent predictive text I've ever used.... it seems to understand the context of a word and then suggest a likely word to follow it - very cool. The lacks of apps doesn't bother me as it has many good ones built in. However, the lack of Skype is a shame, has to be said.

The HDMI out is a great feature and I bought a nice long 5m lead to connect mine to the TV for a few pounds on Amazon - works very well.

Finally, another plus point for me was how easy it was to set it up to use the 3G connection on my Nokia phone via Bluetooth. Although you might expect a Blackberry product to have issues connecting to a Nokia phone, it was one of the simplest computer/phone type things I have ever set up. So, I can easily use the data allowance on my phone (had to choose a tariff with Vodafone which allowed internet tethering) and it connects first time every time and keeps the connection, often for an hour that I am using it - no problem.
    06-29-12 08:41 AM

Thanks in advance.
    The 9810 is an OS7 device so your fine there.
    Instead of tethering you would use the bridge app. It's similar but doesn't allow Internet access to some apps. Which apps I don't know. The ones I use work with the bridge app. I know app world won't work via bridge.

You could download the app now. It has a remote feature that can be used with some other bluetooth enabled devices.

Don't download the app world version of bridge, download from this link using your phones browser.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0-35-a-621230/
    06-29-12 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD