I'm also getting the Unable to charge battery with connected source, which is my laptop. With a USB wall adapter, 750 ma, I get the plug icon and lightening bolt on the RIM wall charger.

If I let it go to sleep it comes back on with the plug icon on the battery icon. I believe it is getting juice but letting you know that it is still in a discharge state.

Meaning, it will run longer but go dead eventually. 500ma supplied by the laptop USB is not enough to give it a positive charge. After it going to sleep and waking it the plug icon is still present.
    08-18-12 09:32 AM
    Hi everyone! I updated to 2.1.0.840 an hour ago, but still no luck with GPS.

Any App that requires GPS (Google Maps, Bing Maps, Planets, Maverick) just can�t access the GPS module. What good are all these apps if they can�t return my location?

With my old 2.0.1.530 at least Bing Maps returned my location...

Hard to believe, RIM!
    08-18-12 09:44 AM

Any App that requires GPS (Google Maps, Bing Maps, Planets, Maverick) just can�t access the GPS module. What good are all these apps if they can�t return my location?

Hard to believe, RIM!
    The gps was one of the first things I tested. I installed Osmand on my 32gig with the newest 2.1 beta. And Osmand did work - I had to put near a window to get a gps signal.
    08-18-12 10:00 AM

Hard to believe, RIM!
    I just put the beta on mine. Tried bing maps sitting in my living room and 5 seconds its right where I am.
    08-18-12 10:20 AM
    Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any one talk about trying to backup on the DM if you have some sideloaded apps. Still not working for me. Anyone else give it a try?
    08-18-12 10:29 AM
    Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any one talk about trying to backup on the DM if you have some sideloaded apps. Still not working for me. Anyone else give it a try?
    Sideloaded apps have never (and probably never will) had the ability to sync with Desktop Software to be backed up.
    08-18-12 02:34 PM
    ...and that wil do what? What is it with you guys whenever PB has a Wifi issue...the solution is to fix the router?

Clearly the router is working...I said my playbook is connected, but it is showing as not connected. The PB is working on the internet. It just says it's not.

Update...I reset the router (because I could) just to amuse you "reset the router" folk

the result...no change.

Its the Playbook..okay!
    I know! Its a completely hopeless situation.. Ever since I upgraded, I cant get my neighbour's "open" wifi! Its criminal!!
    08-19-12 10:49 AM
    I just put the beta on mine. Tried bing maps sitting in my living room and 5 seconds its right where I am.
    What? In two years, I've never got GPS signal!
    the-elf likes this.
    08-19-12 10:51 AM
    Hey everyone, I just purchased a Playbook last week and the first thing I did was install this new OS 2.1 beta as soon as I got it home. I don't have any reference to draw from so I can't really say if it's any better than the official 2.0 OS, but this latest beta seems to run great. The OS feels very smooth and polished.

My question is regarding purchasing apps. Will I come across any issues if I buy apps now on the 2.1 beta, or should I wait until the official 2.1 release?
    08-19-12 05:34 PM

Hard to believe, RIM!
    What? In two years, I've never got GPS signal!
    I've just tried Bing and it opens at the map of Australia and New Zealand.

No GPS location can be found.

It can find directions between places in Sydney.

It only works in miles not kilometres - we use the metric system - and there is no option to change settings.

Nothing new about Bing being unsuitable for use on the PB in Aus (nor India I suspect)!

Bing's not my choice on PC either .... so absolutely no loss!!
    08-19-12 05:52 PM
    Hey everyone, I just purchased a Playbook last week and the first thing I did was install this new OS 2.1 beta as soon as I got it home. I don't have any reference to draw from so I can't really say if it's any better than the official 2.0 OS, but this latest beta seems to run great. The OS feels very smooth and polished.

My question is regarding purchasing apps. Will I come across any issues if I buy apps now on the 2.1 beta, or should I wait until the official 2.1 release?
    What sort of apps were you thinking of?

I've got Book Reader and Files and Folders and Wiki and some other apps that are native, and they worked well in the official OS releases as well as this Beta.

They back up via the Desktop Manager because they're native (to BB).

If there is an issue with apps when I go back to the official OS on the release of 2.1, then I'll just download them again via the PB App World.

None of these apps have data attached to them that I need - including books and music or vids - because I can just side load that stuff again from my PC.

If you're into games with score tallies - then I'm not sure if the tallies will survive the OS change - but others here will give you the clues.
    08-19-12 05:58 PM
    What sort of apps were you thinking of?
    Just in general. If I buy any native BB apps for the Playbook using the 2.1 beta and later did a clean wipe, do I have to repurchase the app or will my BB account know what I've already purchased and allow me to download it again without having to pay a second time?
    08-19-12 06:18 PM
    Just in general. If I buy any native BB apps for the Playbook using the 2.1 beta and later did a clean wipe, do I have to repurchase the app or will my BB account know what I've already purchased and allow me to download it again without having to pay a second time?
    Definitely!!!

Yep - once you buy the app (or download an app for free) you can install, delete and re-install as and when required on your PB via PB App World.
    MidnightWatcher likes this.
    08-19-12 06:23 PM
    As long as you maintain the same BBID, you should be able to redownload any apps. You might lose settings or score or similar if you have to reload the OS.
    MidnightWatcher likes this.
    08-19-12 07:49 PM
    seems like a improvement over .668 can anyone provide the offline files so i could test it thanks
    08-20-12 04:49 AM
    seems like a improvement over .668 can anyone provide the offline files so i could test it thanks
    Just register for the beta.

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/register
    08-20-12 08:54 AM
    Anyone noticed if the "Forced Close" error on Words with Friends (Side-loaded App) is fixed with this build? Your response is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by julio1925; 08-21-12 at 03:40 AM.
    08-21-12 03:33 AM
    I was one of the victims of 668. Poor stability overall.. The new beta update has been rock solid so far. Only had it for a couple of days, but its defitely worth going for it.. The portrait mode email is a joy to use!!
    rexrim likes this.
    08-21-12 04:04 AM
    Can anybody confirm if theres an issue with ddpb connectivity in this build? I dont want to update to this if I cant sideload my applications.
    08-21-12 05:56 AM
    So, 2.1.0.840 is a speed demon, emphasis on the word demon.

Stability has dropped like a rock. After using it for a week, I'm having to reboot it at least once a day to recover from android app freezes (Gospel Library app) and browser crashes (Amazon.com, crackberry.com).

Also, bridge email keyboard performance is horrible. I just typed up a company email and backspacing was excruciatingly slow. Here on this form it's performing well. With each os release it feels like two steps forward, 1.5 steps back.
    08-21-12 06:29 AM
    This update has behaved very well for me. Very stable have not had to restart it from day one of the update. WWF works well for me, again very stable. I find battery performance much improved. No longer drains fast in standby. Also notice it seems a little faster, smoother overall. No browser issues. Had the double email problem with gmail. But simply deleting the account and adding it back solved that problem. Overall it has been a good update for me. Not sure why others seem to have issues.

Also Bridging with my 9900 has been reliable and always stays connected. My BB bluetooth keyboard works well.
    08-21-12 06:34 AM
    Seems to be a good move to jump from 560 to 840 (Beta). Downloading at 10%. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    08-21-12 07:02 AM
    Can anybody confirm if theres an issue with ddpb connectivity in this build? I dont want to update to this if I cant sideload my applications.
    I haven't had any problem sideloading, and most apps work faster. I do have an Exchange/ActiveSync issue with Contacts (detail keeps disappearing from display, but it's actually there), but it appears unrelated.
    08-21-12 10:40 AM
    Very stable. Android player has not crashed in 2 weeks.
    08-21-12 10:58 AM
    Anyone noticed if the "Forced Close" error on Words with Friends (Side-loaded App) is fixed with this build? Your response is much appreciated. Thanks.
    It still happens, but doesn't seem as frequent. The big change is that now that the AP runs on its own, so when you do a Force Close, it doesn't drop back to that Recent App window. You have to launch the app again from the icon.
    08-21-12 11:54 AM
356 ... 1112131415
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD