I just hope it fixes the battery drain problem. I upgraded to the last beta and it seemed pretty bad. Hard resets seemed to stabilise things but the last few days it's been horrendous. PB was at 76% battery yesterday evening, used it while cooking to view a recipe I'd saved using print to go (very nice pasta with lemon, basil and rocket) for about ten minutes. Came home from work today and the battery was dead. No idea why it would suddenly be so bad over the last couple of days. I'm upgrading hoping it fixes that problem alone. I can wait for 2.1 official for any other goodies.
    I was having the same issue with both our playbooks. I updated them to .668 and was about to slit my wrists with the heating and battery issues. I took the plunge and updated one to the 2.1.0.560 beta which cause some flash issues. In the meantime I hard reset the other PB a couple times and it seemed to fix the overheating and battery drain. To date it's been working fine.. As for the other on the 2.1.0.560 beta I security swiped it and reinstalled os and so far has been working great, worth the effort. One draw back to the security swipe is you have to reload all apps again.. bit of a pain but so far improvements have been worth it.. good luck..
    08-14-12 01:14 PM
    My title says it all. Not fully downloaded.Have to re-register, though
    Last edited by seking; 08-14-12 at 01:32 PM.
    08-14-12 01:16 PM
    The new bug report app is really neat
    BUg Report App?
    08-14-12 01:25 PM
    *facepalm*
    What for?
    It's a bug. Don't we share bugs?
    Isn't this whole community about sharing bugs and whatnot?
    Or did you mean I'd find the fix by facepalming my-self?
    08-14-12 01:29 PM
    ...and that wil do what? What is it with you guys whenever PB has a Wifi issue...the solution is to fix the router?

Clearly the router is working...I said my playbook is connected, but it is showing as not connected. The PB is working on the internet. It just says it's not.

Update...I reset the router (because I could) just to amuse you "reset the router" folk

the result...no change.

Its the Playbook..okay!
    Most of the time people having wifi issues are caused by (1) outdated router firmware, (2) incorrect DD-WRT default settings, and (3) incorrect user configurations.

Somehow turning off and on the router and the Playbook is just too hard of a thing to do. Or just delete the Playbook's wifi setting and re-input your router's setting onto the Playbook.

Most of the time, it is a simple thing.

Sometimes the only device in the whole house doing the correct wifi thing is the Playbook. People has outdated draft 2.0 router that violates the wifi spec and connecting with laptops with outdated wifi drivers that also violates the wifi spec --- i.e. hiding SSID is a wifi spec violation. Guess what? The Playbook follows the wifi spec and not connect to these routers --- and people blame RIM for it.
    08-14-12 01:30 PM
    What for?
    They might not want people thinking that the USB port puts out enough power to properly charge the PB. Previously, you could leave it on there for hours and it would barely do anything.
    08-14-12 01:52 PM
    I am having mjor problem with google. Keeps asking me to reenter my password which I do but then it asks again.
    Tried removing and reenabling the account to no avail. Any suggestions?
    You need to enable two step authentication and it will never ask for your password again
    Yes. In fact I had to deal with this today. Like BB-Bmore said, enable two step authentication. Go through the steps and all the jazz.

Then disable two step authentication and add your passwords back. Haven't had an issue since (I had to disable it, I was not going to create a new passwords for every single thing that uses my gmail password. GeeReader could not connect and that was the last straw).

EDIT: Oh yeah, it is charging, no matter what the error says.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-14-12 at 02:13 PM.
    08-14-12 02:05 PM
    What for?
    Playbook has never been chargable through the computer
    dbugem and Jamaicangirl81 like this.
    08-14-12 02:15 PM
    The PB has always been "chargable" through the computer. Slowly but it works.
    diegonei, mikeplus1, sagec and 5 others like this.
    08-14-12 02:18 PM
    Just upgraded. Very stable and very fast.
    08-14-12 02:19 PM
    Following a wipe and reinstall going into settings and accounts to create a new Facebook account I get

There is no rpc service named account

In the end no account gets setup
    08-14-12 02:21 PM
    Loaded up and played with. All systems a go. No double emails or charging issues. Android aps work no problem
    08-14-12 02:22 PM
    It has always been chargeable by anything it can connect to via USB. The PC port just takes longer. I charge it on my TV when I'm too lazy to find the charger.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-14-12 02:26 PM
    The PB has always been "chargable" through the computer. Slowly but it works.
    +1

I charge mine on a number of different computers. Some slow some quick depends on the out put of each machine; the charge symbol only appears at a certain output level but "juice" is going in with just about anything. Best is the included adapter but in a pinch almost anything will work.
    08-14-12 02:32 PM
    downloadin now ...it's so slow..can any one confirm usb support ? arabic language support ?
    08-14-12 02:34 PM
    Just updated and rebooted. Android multitasking is a lot better, switching between opened android apps is fast and the wait for the app to be 'ready' is now less than a second or so.

Browser still has some checkerboards but they disappear faster than before.

Nothing else I can notice at the moment.
    jeroen_13, W1zz, BB10FTW and 2 others like this.
    08-14-12 02:37 PM
    +1

I charge mine on a number of different computers. Some slow some quick depends on the out put of each machine; the charge symbol only appears at a certain output level but "juice" is going in with just about anything. Best is the included adapter but in a pinch almost anything will work.
    RIM's own documentation says it isn't meant to be charged with a computer via USB - use the [included] charger. But I'd guess that as long as a USB port (of any kind) has enough power, it will charge it.
    08-14-12 02:40 PM
    ...and that wil do what? What is it with you guys whenever PB has a Wifi issue...the solution is to fix the router?

Clearly the router is working...I said my playbook is connected, but it is showing as not connected. The PB is working on the internet. It just says it's not.

Update...I reset the router (because I could) just to amuse you "reset the router" folk

the result...no change.

Its the Playbook..okay!
    Buy larger underwear LoL
    08-14-12 02:42 PM
    Completed the latest 2.1 Beta update. All my apps including Android work great. Can't say I've noticed any perfromance improvements yet, but have not had a lot of time on it yet.

My gmail email account, calendars and contacts have double entries. Other email accts are fine.
    08-14-12 02:51 PM
    Most of the time people having wifi issues are caused by (1) outdated router firmware, (2) incorrect DD-WRT default settings, and (3) incorrect user configurations.

Somehow turning off and on the router and the Playbook is just too hard of a thing to do. Or just delete the Playbook's wifi setting and re-input your router's setting onto the Playbook.

Most of the time, it is a simple thing.

Sometimes the only device in the whole house doing the correct wifi thing is the Playbook. People has outdated draft 2.0 router that violates the wifi spec and connecting with laptops with outdated wifi drivers that also violates the wifi spec --- i.e. hiding SSID is a wifi spec violation. Guess what? The Playbook follows the wifi spec and not connect to these routers --- and people blame RIM for it.
    we all need to verify all network connections before placing blame on something.

FYI....i hide my SSID and my playbook connects fine. never had any wifi issues at my house on any PB os.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    08-14-12 02:52 PM
    It has always been chargeable by anything it can connect to via USB. The PC port just takes longer. I charge it on my TV when I'm too lazy to find the charger.
    This is the first time I have noticed this alert. This was while connected via USB to my computer. Computer USB may have ~500mA, I tried pluggin into a 750mA charger and the alert did not appear and the charging icon did appear. I haven't left it plugged into the computer long enough to see if it actually charges now, but I guess it will (albeit very slowly).
    08-14-12 02:52 PM
    we all need to verify all network connections before placing blame on something.

FYI....i hide my SSID and my playbook connects fine. never had any wifi issues at my house on any PB os.
    You shouldn't even hide your SSID in the first place.

Myth vs. reality: Wireless SSIDs - Steve Riley on Security - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    sagec likes this.
    08-14-12 03:01 PM
    This is the first time I have noticed this alert. This was while connected via USB to my computer. Computer USB may have ~500mA, I tried pluggin into a 750mA charger and the alert did not appear and the charging icon did appear. I haven't left it plugged into the computer long enough to see if it actually charges now, but I guess it will (albeit very slowly).
    Get Battery Guru. That will show you whether it is charging, and how much.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-14-12 03:05 PM
    +1

No charging symbol on mine either but according to to Battery Guru there is power going into the thing, even though its very little.

Also of note, I have the Video Store and AT&T Family Map icons that both load up. Interesting coming from a PlayBook being used in Alberta Canada.

Mike
    08-14-12 03:09 PM
    *facepalm*

I charge mine almost daily on a computer. It's slower than the dedicated charger, but it definitely works.
    08-14-12 03:12 PM
356 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD