New PB wont backup and tech support is dismal
    12-30-12 12:27 PM
    Its hard for tech support to fix user error. A little more info might help someone be able to help you
    BigwhiteUK likes this.
    12-30-12 12:34 PM
    Are you wanting help, or just sounding off? How long have you had it? Which DM do yo have? PC or Mac? What exactly have or are doing? What exactly is the problem? And why is it dismal?
    halw likes this.
    12-30-12 12:58 PM
    Try turning off wifi and try again.
    12-30-12 04:29 PM
    Its hard for tech support to fix user error. A little more info might help someone be able to help you
    User error is actually one of the easier things for tech support to deal with.
    12-30-12 07:00 PM
    User error is actually one of the easier things for tech support to deal with.
    Not when the user lies, lies, and lies about what they did or did not do even while on the telephone with technical support. Anyone who has worked helpddesk or even deskside support knows some users lie through their shiny white and not to white teeth.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    12-30-12 07:25 PM
    Ok, did not understand that I needed to spell it out for some of you.
    I got the PB on Fri. Did the setup on Sat, and the O/s update the same day. Went to do B/U and it told me it wasnt connected. So, I did a wipe and re did the entire process, being careful to follow the instructions on screen. Again not able to backup. Called tech support, and started that adventure. The girl was nice enough but I could only understand about half of what she was saying she referred me to the web site which I could have done (and should have) at the end of the day. I still cant back up and I'm no further along in resolving the issue. PC version of BB Desktop (which works fine with my 9930 and other PB.)
    12-30-12 08:56 PM
    Ok, did not understand that I needed to spell it out for some of you.
    I got the PB on Fri. Did the setup on Sat, and the O/s update the same day. Went to do B/U and it told me it wasnt connected. So, I did a wipe and re did the entire process, being careful to follow the instructions on screen. Again not able to backup. Called tech support, and started that adventure. The girl was nice enough but I could only understand about half of what she was saying she referred me to the web site which I could have done (and should have) at the end of the day. I still cant back up and I'm no further along in resolving the issue. PC version of BB Desktop (which works fine with my 9930 and other PB.)
    I've heard from tech support that they have issues with the driver. It'll end up being something random when it finally resolves itself. DM update, device reboot while connected, pc reboot, rim device manager restart, etc. Good luck
    12-30-12 09:14 PM
    I've heard from tech support that they have issues with the driver. It'll end up being something random when it finally resolves itself. DM update, device reboot while connected, pc reboot, rim device manager restart, etc. Good luck
    If I recall there is something about the USB hub in the Microsoft Device Manager and it needs to be disabled for Microsoft Windows 7. This is one reason I keep advocating for an enhanced BlackBerry Protect service for the BlackBerry PlayBook to eliminate the need for BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    12-30-12 11:45 PM
    Good luck is correct. BB has not responded. my other PB is fine and RIM builds a good product, the actions on this are baffling.
    01-03-13 11:03 AM
    Update:
    I waited a week for them to contact me before I contacted them. Got a girl on the phone that genuinely want to help and she stated with it until the phone system cut us off. She called back an we kept after it until she needed to talk to the next level supporters, On hold again (until we got cut off, again) so wasted my entire morning on the phone (after waiting for them to call me back for a week).
    I wonder does any body have Mr. Thorstens (whatever) address?
    01-09-13 03:32 PM
    Update:
    I waited a week for them to contact me before I contacted them. Got a girl on the phone that genuinely want to help and she stated with it until the phone system cut us off. She called back an we kept after it until she needed to talk to the next level supporters, On hold again (until we got cut off, again) so wasted my entire morning on the phone (after waiting for them to call me back for a week).
    Sorry to hear that. I called BlackBerry tech support when my Playbook power button stopped registering. They were incredibly helpful and basically said from the offset that if I couldn't resolve the problem over the phone that day they would send me a replacement device free of charge. They also talked me through the backup process (which worked first time for me on Windows 7).

Transpired that a reboot fixed my problem. But they responded to me (called back) exactly when I asked and even emailed a week later to check the problem hadn't returned.

I hope you get it sorted out.
    01-09-13 03:49 PM
    And I hope you are more polite than you are are here!
    01-09-13 03:53 PM
    [email protected]
    01-09-13 04:41 PM

No I meant Snail Mail
    01-09-13 05:25 PM
    You know this whole thing just baffels me. RIM builds a good product and then has crappy support. My first PB works fine, no problems. Next thing I buy 2 more and they wont B/U and apparently their tech support is out to lunch, literary. Its enough to swear off RIM altogether.
    01-09-13 05:32 PM
    And I hope you are more polite than you are are here!
    Just returning the favor.
    01-09-13 05:33 PM
    This thread prompted me to try backing up - FAILURE. Not unexpected but I'd hoped since I did a security wipe quite recently that it would work. Nah!
    01-09-13 06:43 PM
    This thread prompted me to try backing up - FAILURE. Not unexpected but I'd hoped since I did a security wipe quite recently that it would work. Nah!
    I've got two now that that dont b/u and the support is as stated abysmal
    01-09-13 08:58 PM
    Try this workaround to back up in this situation until rim resolve the software issues
    1) Try disconnecting all other usb devices from your pc to get rid of any interference, and disable wifi on the playbook.
    2) in desktop manager instead of full backup choose selective and choose each area separately.
    3) you'll probably find application data fails so use file copy via usb or wirelessly to copy your media and data files off the playbook to your pc.
    01-09-13 09:47 PM
    If I recall there is something about the USB hub in the Microsoft Device Manager and it needs to be disabled for Microsoft Windows 7. This is one reason I keep advocating for an enhanced BlackBerry Protect service for the BlackBerry PlayBook to eliminate the need for BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    If the USB Hub is disabled, how would I connect my PlayBook to DM?
    01-09-13 10:04 PM
    Try this workaround to back up in this situation until rim resolve the software issues
    1) Try disconnecting all other usb devices from your pc to get rid of any interference, and disable wifi on the playbook.
    2) in desktop manager instead of full backup choose selective and choose each area separately.
    3) you'll probably find application data fails so use file copy via usb or wirelessly to copy your media and data files off the playbook to your pc.
    We did all that over the phone (before we got disconnected, twice)
    01-10-13 04:13 AM
    We did all that over the phone (before we got disconnected, twice)
    The support guys are doing what they can so that you can get a backup of a couple of the area, and then use manual file copy to get the rest of the data to a safe directory on your PC.

The real problem is that there is a bug (or bugs) in the playbook/DTM software and that needs to be fixed by Rim development teams, until then the support guys can only work with what is available now and give you the workaround.
    01-10-13 05:14 AM
    Well my 1st PB works fine, B/U movies etc. So they can do it. I shouldn't have to do workarounds (and neither should you) RIM builds a good product, but apparently the QC is poor. I just want a PB that does what I expect.
    01-10-13 12:16 PM
    My only interest in doing backups is to not lose my game saves. I got so frustrated at the constant errors over several hours of selective application data that I took the plunge and did a security wipe anyway. Everything else is easily backed up via USB. Hope this gets addressed in an update soon.
    01-10-13 02:05 PM
33 12