Hi,

I have been using the blackberry playbook for a couple of months now and have been enjoying it thus far. However I have had a few issues that I haven't been able to resolve myself.

My first problem is the battery life I get is pretty poor, I use the playbook with screen brightness at 40% with wifi turned on. I find that with about 15-20 minutes of web browsing I had used about 12% battery. This seems too low for that length and was wondering if anybody might have had a similar experience.

I have also found that my wifi drops out occasionally and won't get a lock on the signal unless I turn it on and off a couple of times.

I have amassed a quite a few filters for searching in the e-mail client. I can't seem to find a way to clear these.

When adding a twitter of facebook account, is there anyway to use the messaging features of both without having all of the friends/followers populated in the contacts app.

Finally I can see how much ram is being used by the playbook however even when I have all applications closed it is still using a disproportional amount being used.

I am using Wifi only model, 64 gb running the newest os version.

If you could help me with any of my issues I would appreciate it a lot.
    09-02-12 11:26 AM
    You might have a faulty PB, as it is still under warranty, get a replacement.
    09-02-12 11:35 AM
    I had problems with wi fi using older wep router security....changed to WPA2PSK and all is good now.I get 9 to 10 hours out of a charge so far,mostly browsing and some video play back.
    09-02-12 12:01 PM
    I get about the same out of the battery as well - 9 to 10 hrs. I think this is normal. I suggest downloading battery guru and monitor your battery for a bit to see what's going on. There's a thread somewhere on here about it - do a search. The first thing I did when I got my PB was fully test it, before the exchange period ended.

For the ram, that is also normal. A big chunk goes to the OS. I get around 550 mb left over right after a cold boot. I think the OS still needs some fine tuning for battery life and memory usage though. That will come with system maturation.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-02-12 03:47 PM
    My first problem is the battery life I get is pretty poor, I use the playbook with screen brightness at 40% with wifi turned on. I find that with about 15-20 minutes of web browsing I had used about 12% battery. This seems too low for that length and was wondering if anybody might have had a similar experience.
    The battery is nominally 19.98Wh (watt-hours, a measure of energy capacity) but practically they are generally closer to 18Wh. 12% of that is 2.16Wh, and if you manage to use that much in only 20 minutes (1/3 of an hour) then you would be using 2.16*3 or 6.5W, which is extremely high... basically impossible to manage unless you are running CPU-intensive games, video, loud sound, GPS, and probably everything else all at the same time.

That suggests either that your battery capacity is not really that high (i.e. defective), that your PlayBook hardware is defective (possible but unlikely), or that the % battery level calibration is screwed up (possible and extremely common).

If the back of the PlayBook was not extremely hot (basically too hot to touch) on the back just above the connector area, then we can probably rule out defective hardware since at 2-3W it gets warm but not hot, while at 6.5W it would be very hot.

My Battery Guru app may help you learn more about the situation. It shows power in realtime (or at least every two minutes when the OS updates the power readings), as well as battery "health" which is basically what percentage of 19.98Wh your battery appears to have as its maximum capacity. (This health/capacity slowly drops over time, from 90-95% when new to whatever point it gets to when you give up on the device in 4-5 years because it holds too little charge.)
    09-02-12 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the advice, I will check it out tonight when I get the chance. The back of it doesn't get particularly hot so I will try that app out and see what the results are.
    09-03-12 11:01 PM
    You can't use the messages app for twitter/Facebook without having it populate the contact list.

About your other issues, I'd suggest a debrick (link on signature).
    09-04-12 10:01 AM
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the information, it is still shame that you can't add Facebook or twitter without it populating the contacts field.

I downloaded the battery guru application and my battery health is sitting at 88% with 38 recharges.

Also are there any other advantages to deal-bricking the playbook?
    09-09-12 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD