Hi all,

I'm just waiting on my PB to arrive and this will be my first venture in the BB world - after seeing the PB OS and BB 10 I just had to try.

I'm trying to create a BB ID and wanted to know if there was the same issue as in iOS with various country app stores? Would it be better to create a BB ID for use in the US App Catalog which would mean a wider selection of apps instead of creating it under Australia?
    10-07-12 10:10 PM
    I could be wrong, but I think the store is universal. I've just come back form a month or so touring across Europe (with PB in tow), and have had opportunity to both update the OS and download apps (with the app price being in the currency of whichever country I'm in at the time). The only caveat to that being country specific things like Hulu and Netflix...
    Again, somebody sing out if I'm wrong and set me straight, and enjoy your new PB - hopefully you'll be impressed enough to hang in there for BB10!
    iamLiski likes this.
    10-07-12 10:32 PM
    Most people I know use an email address as their BBID. I don't think the identification has anything to do with your country of origin. However, the Playbook does recognize the location where you happen to be connecting. And App World may very well well have country specific titles and apps. For example, after being solely a US feature, Canada recently got access to the video store. While it may be coming, I don't think that store is universally available. I know that some folks on this Site use a proxy IP but others will have to talk about that as I have never tried to bypass my own IP address.

Welcome to the Forum and the Playbook. If you have fun with it and find it useful and hard to put down, well then you truly have found a home. Spread the word and let's keep growing the Playbook family!
    10-08-12 12:58 AM
    AppWorld actually changes depending on where you are geographically.

eg. When in Australia (my home), store is in A$... when I travelled to Hong Kong (HKG), Taiwan (TWD etc)...
    I haven't noticed any titles changing but there may be some
    10-08-12 01:26 AM
    AppWorld uses the IP address of your connection to determine your geolocation and serves the regional variant of AppWorld.

There are regional differences between AppWorlds, but most are minor. Videostores and Radio Apps are often regional.

There are ways to fool the system into thinking you are in the USA (proxy servers), but often these don't work because when the App runs, it makes a further check on your IP geolocation and won't run unless you remain connected via the proxy. Staying connected to the proxy server is a bad idea generally - security reasons.
    10-08-12 02:56 AM