Hi,

I just bought a 16Gb BlackBerry Playbook as a Valentines gift for my wife who is currently attached to her Sprint BlackBerry Style 9670. I also picked up a BlackBerry Convertible Case, a BlackBerry Rapid Charger, a Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for 7-Inch Tablets, and a 10 ft Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable.

Are there any other "must haves" that I am missing?

Is there a GPS app that will make the PlayBook act like a car GPS (Garmin, Mio, Tom Tom) when bridged to a BB smartphone?
    02-08-12 04:47 AM
    That's one heck of a bundle you got there! lol .. I think you pretty much got all of the must haves for starters. I just got my PlayBook this past weekend and have been searching for all of the best accessories as well, I also picked up the convertible case, on Amazon for only $19, and a stand to put my PB on for display (I didnt want to spend that much on the BB cradle, so I got the easel type stand for $10 on Amazon as well). My next item will probably be the HDMI cable, Amazon has them for under $5.

As for the GPS app, its my understanding that there is no current navigation type app available for turn by turn (like TomTom). Magellan (sp?) is the closest one, but all of the GPS apps require data/wifi to be fully functional. Of course someone more experienced could probably shed more light on that. The only thing I'd suggest to pick up would be a car charger since it sounds like you'll be using it in the car a lot. Some decent screen protectors might be nice too.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    02-08-12 05:19 AM
    Crud I just noticed that there is no micro SD card slot on these things. Looks like I will have to set up some sort of cloud storage for her.

I have an Android phone for myself so I am new to BlackBerry. The main reasons I got the PlayBook for her is the Bridge to a Sprint BlackBerry and she won't use her $99 HP TouchPad because it is too bulky for her purse. I hope OS 2.0 is ready for download on 2/17 as many have speculated.
    02-08-12 06:21 AM
    Magellan works good for turn by turn directions when bridged to the BB phone. There is no voice only displayed text. The developers website says they are adding voice in a coming update. I would keep an eye on data usage unless you have an unlimited plan.
    02-08-12 06:38 AM
    Yes we have a Sprint Unlimited Data plan. How much is the Magellan app?
    02-08-12 06:43 AM
    4.99 and has a free trial.
    Here is the developer website
    o2 interactive
    PigeonTom and Nick Burkhardt like this.
    02-08-12 06:51 AM
    Crud I just noticed that there is no micro SD card slot on these things. Looks like I will have to set up some sort of cloud storage for her.
    Not really any need, you can drag and drop files via a PC to and from the PB as an external drive via the supplied USB/Micro USB cable.
    02-08-12 06:52 AM
    Not really any need, you can drag and drop files via a PC to and from the PB as an external drive via the supplied USB/Micro USB cable.
    Or wifi. One of the things I like most is the ability to transfer files without having to plug it in.
    02-08-12 06:57 AM
    How do you do the wi-fi data move? I have tried several times and can never get the pc/pb to communicte to each other?
    02-08-12 07:03 AM
    You have to turn on Sharing in the Storage/Sharing option (Gear at the upper right).

Then you need to use the ABOUT option and the dropdown menu to get the IP address from the Network listing. You plug that value into a RUN command or create a shortcut:

\\192.168.1.104\media

It is really nice knowing that the pb is downstairs and I can log on from my computer and copy a few files or a lot of files wirelessly.
    Nick Burkhardt and ScoobsDM like this.
    02-08-12 08:53 AM
    Does the Magellan app require internet access (bridge/tether) or does it use the GPS capabilities of the Playbook?
    02-08-12 09:53 AM
    OP,
    You are such a nice husband to get all that for your wife.
    WARNING: Do NOT attempt to set it up, check it out, or otherwise assist her in the use of her PlayBook. To do so will bring on immense feelings of jealousy, remorse (for not keeping it yourself), and, ultimately, resentment. Your marriage may suffer if you don't end up getting another one for yourself. Just trying to help...
    02-08-12 09:59 AM
    Does the Magellan app require internet access (bridge/tether) or does it use the GPS capabilities of the Playbook?
    Both. GPS for location and bridge/tether for maps and some other services.
    bbqkid8 and Nick Burkhardt like this.
    02-08-12 10:08 AM
    Sign up with Box.net using your wife's new BlackBerry PlayBook and receive 50GB of cloud storage for F-R-E-E. The Box.net application can be downloaded from BlackBerry AppWorld and the sign-up must be done on the tablet to qualify for the 50GB cloud storage offer.
    ordigas and Nick Burkhardt like this.
    02-08-12 10:20 AM
    My personal experience:

I got the convertible case...only use it when I'm heading out with my PB. Why bulk it up? The whole idea for it is to be portable. If you are worried about durability then don't! It's pretty solid. I also had that military grade screen protector which I never ended up putting on after watching the screen being keyed with no scratches video. And, doesn't it already come with a rapid charger? Mine did! Dunno if any of this actually helps...
    ticker1971 and bbblair like this.
    02-08-12 11:07 AM
    Thanks all. I was thinking of setting it all up, but I will leave the fun of opening and discovery to her.

Will the PlayBook take a generic car charger?

Any suggestions for adding a closer to the Convertible Case such as Velcro or an elastic band?
    02-08-12 03:08 PM
    4.99 and has a free trial.
    Here is the developer website
    o2 interactive
    Thanks for the link. That looks like a killer app for the PlayBook, and only $5.

The site says Magellan Compass, version 3, will have voice turn-by-turn guidance. Hopefully soon along with OS 2.0.
    02-08-12 03:17 PM
    Thanks all. I was thinking of setting it all up, but I will leave the fun of opening and discovery to her.

Will the PlayBook take a generic car charger?

Any suggestions for adding a closer to the Convertible Case such as Velcro or an elastic band?
    Ya, leave it to her for setup/initial discovery. Also, let her get used to the convertible case as it is. This is a solid product as well from my experience. I have a generic fold-over magnetic snap on case for my iPad2 which makes it just weird. Btw, I gave my iPad away to my Dad.

The PB will take a generic car charger but I would not recommend anything but an OEM one. My understanding is that the generic cheap chargers do not regulate power very well and supply wrong current (mA). Long term result may not be good.

Edit: my OEM car charger I used to use for my 9700 works fine with my PB. Since your wife is already a BB owner and she's got a charger for it then that should work as well.
    Last edited by PigeonTom; 02-08-12 at 06:29 PM.
    02-08-12 06:24 PM
    Pick up one of these micro-usb charging cables from AT&T for $10
    USB Charging Cable - Micro USB - Cell Phone Accessories - from AT&T
    I use it with my iPhone's car charger and with my iPhone's wall charger when I travel. This cable does not transfer data but it charges the PlayBook quickly.
    02-08-12 10:19 PM
    It's not necessary but it can be needed because it would have the ability to provide more storage space.
    arthur m likes this.
    02-08-12 10:52 PM
    ... Will the PlayBook take a generic car charger? ...
    As others have said, avoid generic car chargers.

Additionally, you have to consider the amperage of the car charger you choose. My BlackBerry Curve's wall charger output is 5V - 700mA while my PlayBook's wall charger output is 5V - 2A (more than double amperage than that of my Curve's). This means that my BlackBerry's wall charger won't output enough energy to charge my PlayBook while in use. And it will charge it while in Stand By mode but will take it a lot longer.

The car charger I got for my Curve, BlackBerry branded, has an output of 500mA. Only 1/4 of the output of the PlayBook's wall charger. Thats enough to charge my Curve but won't be enough to charge a PlayBook while being used for GPS navigation.

I've seen some car chargers, branded for tablets, with higher than "normal" amperage. The ones I saw (at Office Depot if I remember correctly) are supposed to be compatible with any tablet, since they have an USB port instead of a cable.
    02-09-12 02:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD