Ok, so I've had my playbook since oct. and everything seemed to work fine until the 2.0 update. Sure i could go and find threads with the same issue but they tend to be very old, or simply "similar" with not enough info so i'd rather get a "1 stop shop" and hopefully someone can give me a decent answer if they have one...

So after the latest update (about a month or so after) I've been getting a big delay in typing on certain sites. My delay is about 4 seconds long, It was happening with one site, but now i noticed it with 2 more...Another issue i noticed recently is when i go from one video to the next on youtube my playbook volume goes all the way down, just one button press away from mute. I initially thought that the video itself had no sound but it was happening over and over again. I'll play a video with the volume all the way up and the next video kills it; i just don't get why that is.

Also, the I'm not getting the native notifications as much as i used to if at all...I used to get them all the time when i would get an email and I figured i simply didn't get any but then several days would go by and nothing (i use the glowing red corner notification). I logged into my email through the browser and saw I had several emails that were not read. I checked the notifications settings on the playbook and everything was indeed ON so i was left a little dumbfounded. Then today i somehow got a notification...

Overall it just seems the playbook is getting worse as the days go by, I cleaned the history and cache and even rebooted it but that seemed to have helped for the 1st day or 2 in terms of typing...I can live with the youtube glitch and the lack of notifications but it's the big typing delay that is getting on my nerves at the moment...

anyone else?? suggestions?
    Last edited by omega supreme; 06-13-12 at 07:18 PM.
    06-13-12 07:14 PM
    We've not experienced those issues since or before the update on our PBs, but that doesn't lessen your problem.

When you rebooted, was it a true reset or just a restart. If you properly do a hard reset the PB will power off with no notification of shutting down and will restart itself.

How did your update go? Was it a straightforward update, no interruptions or errors?

How did you update? OTA or through DM?
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-13-12 at 09:28 PM.
    06-13-12 09:25 PM
    I restarted the playbook through the onscreen settings. the update went fine, had no issues for the 2.0 which i did through wifi, although when i 1st got the playbook in oct. i tried updating through desktop manager and it wouldn't finish because of some "error"...

I've read in the OS forum of some people having typing delay issues after the 2.0 update but not to the extent of mine where the delay is around 4-5 seconds...They recommended clearing the cache, history, etc. and rebooting and I've done all that but that is only a minor temporary fix...or so it seemed.
    06-13-12 09:51 PM
    I agree, those are temporary measures and won't resolve the root problem. From what you say, it sounds like you haven't performed a true hard reset. It won't hurt and may help. Worth a try.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-13-12 10:09 PM
    meaning hitting the actual power button right?
    06-13-12 10:32 PM
    No, you press the power, up and down volume buttons simultaneously, and hold until the PB screen goes black. It is a little awkward and you will end up probably taking several screen shots by accident or turning off the PB, but keep at it until the following conditions are met. When properly done, you will see an option pop up with the three options restart, standby, turn off keep holding the three buttons down until the screen goes black, then release. The red LED will then come on within a second and the PB will restart itself. That is a successful hard reset. If you see a notification saying the PB is powering down, you weren't successful. The result is similar to a battery pull on your phone. Afterwards, go to your photo album and delete all the screenshots
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-14-12 at 12:29 AM.
    omega supreme likes this.
    06-13-12 11:47 PM
    I had the same typing issue and the only solution I found was to do a security wipe and reload the OS.
    06-14-12 12:19 AM
    That may be the case, but it's worth trying a hard reset first. Also what bothers me is that the OP says he had a previous botched update and judging by the posts over the last 6 months, those with botched, errored or problematic updates appear to be those with the most problems. Also if you'll research, there is a disproportionate number of PBs with issues when there is a history of wiping and sideloading actions. Just an observation.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-14-12 12:38 AM
    If you sideloaded Swype at some point you'll need to wipe and reinstall your OS
    06-14-12 07:58 AM
    How many things do you have open? I've seen this sometimes and think it's when a Site uses heavy java script and isn't finished loading completely. Or I could be way off base. OP how about a link to one it happens every time on?
    06-14-12 09:14 AM
    I had the same typing issue and the only solution I found was to do a security wipe and reload the OS.
    A security wipe will delete all apps and pics i downloaded right? I'd like to avoid doing that.
    06-15-12 03:46 AM
    A security wipe will delete all apps and pics i downloaded right? I'd like to avoid doing that.
    I wanted to avoid it to but it worked
    06-15-12 03:49 AM
    That may be the case, but it's worth trying a hard reset first. Also what bothers me is that the OP says he had a previous botched update and judging by the posts over the last 6 months, those with botched, errored or problematic updates appear to be those with the most problems. Also if you'll research, there is a disproportionate number of PBs with issues when there is a history of wiping and sideloading actions. Just an observation.
    The error i got was when i 1st bought the playbook it suggested downloading the os update through desktop manager, midway through the update it would give me an error, so i ended up doing it through wifi if i remember correctly...it's possible my desktop manager is old. When i updated os 2 i did it through wifi.
    06-15-12 03:52 AM
    If you sideloaded Swype at some point you'll need to wipe and reinstall your OS
    I don't even know what swipe is. The only thing i've sideloaded were 2 game emulators and things worked fine before the 2.0 update. This is a gradual problem.
    06-15-12 03:56 AM
    How many things do you have open? I've seen this sometimes and think it's when a Site uses heavy java script and isn't finished loading completely. Or I could be way off base. OP how about a link to one it happens every time on?
    I tend to have only one thing open at a time. If i have the browser open i might have 3 tabs open at the most from time to time. I 1st noticed the delay on facebook cause it was quite excessive, then another site like n4g.com, and even crackberry.com but it's not as bad as facebook which i'm not sure if i mentioned or not that it is from time to time and not all the time... Also, what you're talking about is the keyboard hiding on it's own when u start typing and someone told me in another thread that it will do that when the page hasn't finished loading. My issue is, the page is fully loaded, keyboard is up, message window is open, but as i type the words, they won't actually appear until a few seconds later...1-by-1.

Now that i think about it, it's possible that it's like that for every site, it's just that the sites i mentioned are sites that i actually type regularly in.
    Last edited by omega supreme; 06-15-12 at 04:12 AM.
    06-15-12 04:02 AM
    I have experienced the same problems with typing. I have no idea why it sometimes happens and sometimes not. At times I think it's related to the language settings, but then the delay also occurs for the time in between touching an edit box a day the popping up of the keyboard. I also experienced this with the mail app on the PB, superslow reaction when typing. I hope that will be solved soon, as it is quite annoying.

Have a nice day.
    06-15-12 12:29 PM
    I have the same issue. (Twice now.) I did a security wipe about 2-3 months ago and the PB worked great after. Over the last few weeks, the problem has resurfaced. It is so very aggravating. I love my PB and use it as much as possible for work and play. When this happens, it makes me get my laptop out! I may consider another wipe.

When I went to reinstall from my back up, I had issues. (It wouldn't back up.) If you experience this, you will have to apply the back up in sections. (Apps, data, etc. Something like that.)

My son plays with my PB all the time and I was always curious if something he is doing is messing with it.

I also have thought that it has something to do with the Bridge to my phone. Like the PB is waiting for data from my phone. (My Bold 9650 has serious lag issues as well.)

KRS
    06-15-12 12:42 PM
    I've seen it on occasion and like you I believe it is related to the bridge (remote control seems to be a trigger). A power off is usually enough to resolve it for me.
    06-15-12 12:56 PM
    Well i tried the hard reset and everything seems to be working just fine for now. Perhaps doing a hard reset from time to time is something that is needed a kin to the battery pull on the phones... *fingers crossed*
    06-19-12 06:47 PM
    Both of my Playbooks having lag when typing. I haven't sideloaded anything onto it, or done anything major beyond everyday use of the browser, music player, and games from App World. Should I do a hard reset/wipe the OS or leave it as is? With both of my Playbooks having the problem, I have to assume it's widespread and more to do with the hardware not being up to the task. I thought I might ask anyway.

Oh, and my 64gb Playbook's swipe sensor is really unresponsive (on the side with the Blackberry logo). Is this a permanent thing?
    06-19-12 09:46 PM
    Yaceka:

You can try the various resets. In the Browser, you can swipe down and go into options and clear the cache and history.

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    06-20-12 12:00 AM
    I've seen it on occasion and like you I believe it is related to the bridge (remote control seems to be a trigger). A power off is usually enough to resolve it for me.
    I've also seen it with the bridge turned on and i expected lag due to the blu-tooth connection but not to the extreme that i had which was about 4-5 sec behind...i was getting it without the bridge turned on which i hardly use... One thing i noticed that seems to have an affect are sites that are constantly receiving info or updates such as facebook and twitter. As i was typing i could see new updates coming in and the words i was typing would not appear until it loaded the update...just a theory though.
    06-20-12 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD