Hey guys, I've recently come back around to my desire for something BlackBerry after some years and I did in the form of getting a PlayBook. I had one when they first came out, but don't remember a whole lot about them. They're not too hard to figure out, I've already side loaded some apps, and I do love this little tablet.

I had a question mainly for about reading documents on the PlayBook, sounds pretty simple, right? Well, let me tell you my purpose here. I'm a minister and when I preach I have previously used tablets (be it an iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook, etc) to put my sermon notes, and read them from there. Because I'm doing this while talking, it's imperative that the device I'm using does not glitch or freeze or anything like that, so that it's a smooth transition all the way through. What I've found to be my favorite way of doing this, is emailing my doc files to my Kindle (whether it be the Kindle itself, or the Kindle app installed on my iPad, etc) because the Kindle reads doc files amazingly, and flows through them like an eBook. Just one tap and you're on the next page of your doc file. Love it.

I've found, however, that the Kindle app I've sideloaded (which I obtained from Good Reader, app version 3.2.0.35) will not allow me to email doc files to it. I've gotten on Amazon and there is no @kindle email address associated with that registered Kindle app on my PlayBook. I've attempted to side load the docs to that Kindle app while plugging my PlayBook up to my MacBook, still nothing. (though I was able to side load some mobi eBooks I had on my MacBook this way).

I've used Zamzar and other online conversion tools to convert my document files to either ePub or Mobi format to read in both the Kindle and BookReader apps. While this "somewhat" works, the conversion loses the font color I have, because some things I have highlighted in certain font colors to show emphasis. It converts all text to black. Not only that, it chops up the entire document to two line increments, and totally loses it's paragraph divisions.

I've used the built in Docs to Go app to be a viewer, but with this, it brings up the keyboard for editing whenever I tap the screen, and could potentially be distracted mid-sermon if this were to happen. Also, it doesn't flip through the pages of the doc file the way the Kindle would - it scrolls continuously down as though the doc is one really long page.

My absolute preference would be to somehow get my doc files to read through the Kindle app on the PlayBook. First and foremost, is there a way to specifically do that? If not, is there a document reader that will emulate this technique for the PlayBook? One that will not bring up the keyboard when tapped, and one that will flip through the pages of the doc file rather than scroll through one continuos long page?

Sorry for the really long post here, but just wanted to be very specific about what I was looking for. Thank you all in advance for your help with this.
    08-16-14 11:41 AM
    It won't appear as a Playbook on Amazon, because it's a side loaded app rather than an official one.

All you need to do is go onto any registered device you have on there and use that @kindle address provided. It should all sync to the Playbook pretty well, with all the sent items appearing in the Archive section. You may need to drag down from the top and make it sync, but it should work. It does for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 12:17 PM
    It won't appear as a Playbook on Amazon, because it's a side loaded app rather than an official one.

All you need to do is go onto any registered device you have on there and use that @kindle address provided. It should all sync to the Playbook pretty well, with all the sent items appearing in the Archive section. You may need to drag down from the top and make it sync, but it should work. It does for me.

Posted via CB10
    That's just it, there is no @kindle address provided, as I mentioned. When I go to Amazon, it shows the Kindle App registered under Android (for the PlayBook), but it does not have an @kindle email address for that one. There is one provided for my regular Kindles and iPad, even my iPhone - but not for the Android (PlayBook) Kindle App .. I have several docs I have emailed to the other provided @kindle addresses and no docs show up on the archived of the PlayBook Kindle App. Only eBooks show up there that were downloaded through Amazon.
    08-16-14 12:27 PM
    That's just it, there is no @kindle address provided, as I mentioned. When I go to Amazon, it shows the Kindle App registered under Android (for the PlayBook), but it does not have an @kindle email address for that one. There is one provided for my regular Kindles and iPad, even my iPhone - but not for the Android (PlayBook) Kindle App .. I have several docs I have emailed to the other provided @kindle addresses and no docs show up on the archived of the PlayBook Kindle App. Only eBooks show up there that were downloaded through Amazon.
    Have you manually synced on the Playbook?

This should work by the way, so don't despair, we'll get there.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 12:32 PM
    PDF an option with quick PDF reader?
    08-16-14 12:34 PM
    Have you manually synced on the Playbook?

This should work by the way, so don't despair, we'll get there.

Posted via CB10
    I did as suggested and just emailed a doc to one of the other device associated kindle addresses, then did a manual sync on the PlayBook - no documents showed up in archived, even though the document arrived at the other device already.

PDF an option with quick PDF reader?
    I've converted a doc to PDF and used the built in Adobe Reader, each page is zoomed out, and is not legible unless I zoom in to make page fit to screen, but then I have to scroll left and right to see everything on that page.
    08-16-14 12:47 PM
    I did as suggested and just emailed a doc to one of the other device associated kindle addresses, then did a manual sync on the PlayBook - no documents showed up in archived, even though the document arrived at the other device already
    Something that puzzles me. I have just one Kindle email address and it isn't device specific. I'm not sure why you need more than one. It seems that it is tied into those other devices, but I don't know why that is for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 12:51 PM
    The only thing that I can think of is to open your txt doc in a text viewer and then take screenshots of the text. You can then open these screenshots in the Pictures app, and while you can't just tap to get to the next pic, all it takes is a slight nudge to do this.
    08-16-14 12:52 PM
    Something that puzzles me. I have just one Kindle email address and it isn't device specific. I'm not sure why you need more than one. It seems that it is tied into those other devices, but I don't know why that is for you.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I've always wondered that myself. Each device that I register gives me a whole new Kindle email address - it's just a variation of my Amazon account email .. For Example: For iPhone - jonmark_11@kindle.com .. For iPad: - jonmark_92@kindle.com .. For Kindle - jonmark_00@kindle.com ... Yet no matter which email I send it to, it usually always ends up in archived section for all devices.
    08-16-14 12:55 PM
    Don't use the Adobe reader, but quick PDF reader
    08-16-14 02:06 PM
    It's called qpdf viewer.
    08-16-14 02:23 PM
    Hey guys, I've recently come back around to my desire for something BlackBerry after some years and I did in the form of getting a PlayBook. I had one when they first came out, but don't remember a whole lot about them. They're not too hard to figure out, I've already side loaded some apps, and I do love this little tablet.

I had a question mainly for about reading documents on the PlayBook, sounds pretty simple, right? Well, let me tell you my purpose here. I'm a minister and when I preach I have previously used tablets (be it an iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook, etc) to put my sermon notes, and read them from there. Because I'm doing this while talking, it's imperative that the device I'm using does not glitch or freeze or anything like that, so that it's a smooth transition all the way through. What I've found to be my favorite way of doing this, is emailing my doc files to my Kindle (whether it be the Kindle itself, or the Kindle app installed on my iPad, etc) because the Kindle reads doc files amazingly, and flows through them like an eBook. Just one tap and you're on the next page of your doc file. Love it.

I've found, however, that the Kindle app I've sideloaded (which I obtained from Good Reader, app version 3.2.0.35) will not allow me to email doc files to it. I've gotten on Amazon and there is no @kindle email address associated with that registered Kindle app on my PlayBook. I've attempted to side load the docs to that Kindle app while plugging my PlayBook up to my MacBook, still nothing. (though I was able to side load some mobi eBooks I had on my MacBook this way).

I've used Zamzar and other online conversion tools to convert my document files to either ePub or Mobi format to read in both the Kindle and BookReader apps. While this "somewhat" works, the conversion loses the font color I have, because some things I have highlighted in certain font colors to show emphasis. It converts all text to black. Not only that, it chops up the entire document to two line increments, and totally loses it's paragraph divisions.

I've used the built in Docs to Go app to be a viewer, but with this, it brings up the keyboard for editing whenever I tap the screen, and could potentially be distracted mid-sermon if this were to happen. Also, it doesn't flip through the pages of the doc file the way the Kindle would - it scrolls continuously down as though the doc is one really long page.

My absolute preference would be to somehow get my doc files to read through the Kindle app on the PlayBook. First and foremost, is there a way to specifically do that? If not, is there a document reader that will emulate this technique for the PlayBook? One that will not bring up the keyboard when tapped, and one that will flip through the pages of the doc file rather than scroll through one continuos long page?

Sorry for the really long post here, but just wanted to be very specific about what I was looking for. Thank you all in advance for your help with this.
    It is not clear to me if you were writing your sermon notes on a PC or laptop and then transferring them via email to your Kindle/iPad. If so, and if the helpful folks here cannot help you with a solution with your favorite method, why not consider printing your notes to the PlayBook via Print to Go?

Another alternative, especially if you are not using a PC or laptop to prepare your sermon notes, is as suggested by pacoman03 in post #8 in this thread. It is an excellent "lower-tech" solution and I find the PlayBook's method of taking screenshots very convenient and simple. I use this method when viewing advertising emails on the PlayBook and come across a coupon I want to use, such as the ones from Staples. Instead of firing up my computer and printing the coupon, I just take a screenshot of it and bring the PlayBook with me when I go to the store.
    08-16-14 03:13 PM
    It is not clear to me if you were writing your sermon notes on a PC or laptop and then transferring them via email to your Kindle/iPad. If so, and if the helpful folks here cannot help you with a solution with your favorite method, why not consider printing your notes to the PlayBook via Print to Go?
    Yes, writing my sermon notes on my MacBook via Word and then emailing the Doc file to my Kindle app (is how I usually do it). Are there drivers available for Print To Go for Mac? I went to Blackberry.com/printtogo and there only seems to be drivers available for Windows.

I'll try that qpdf viewer and see how that goes as well .. If all else fails, I'll see how it looks with the screen shot method.
    08-16-14 05:14 PM
    It's called qpdf viewer.
    Just tried this, and it did the same thing as Adobe reader, made the pages/text so small that it's not legible without zooming in each page, and having to do that zoom with each page as I get to it ... bahumbug
    08-16-14 05:26 PM
    Can you double check something? If you save the sermon as a pdf and send it, does it still not show up on the Playbook? Just trying things here...

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 05:26 PM
    Can you double check something? If you save the sermon as a pdf and send it, does it still not show up on the Playbook? Just trying things here...

Posted via CB10
    Just tried it, still not showing up, but went to my other devices. Even tried side loading into kindle folder as pdf, still didn't show up. Lol, this is being one stubborn thing. I appreciate all your efforts though!

I feel like we are ALMOST there because after you mentioned that, it got my mind thinking to try something else. Instead of using Microsoft Word on my MacBook, I opened up Pages (the Apple equivalent), and I copy and pasted my text from Word to Pages as a new document ... Well Pages gives me the option of saving the file under different formats, one of those formats being ePub, so I did that. Using the online converters, I converted the ePub file to Mobi (for Kindle) and then side loaded it. The file showed up in the Kindle app and works great, formatting is the same, paragraph divisions are in tact. The ONLY thing that didn't save in the conversion process from ePub to Mobi, was that it converted all text to black and it didn't keep any of my color highlighted text in color.

So ... Do you guys know of any online file conversion from ePub to Mobi that would keep the different font colors without turning the entire text black?

Lol, so close, so close ...
    08-16-14 05:55 PM
    Do you guys know of any online file conversion from ePub to Mobi that would keep the different font colors without turning the entire text black?

Lol, so close, so close ...
    Actually, scratch that! I went back into Pages and re-colored the text before saving (not sure why that made the difference), but when I re-colored certain text, then saved as ePub, then converted to Mobi, then side loaded ... FINALLY it shows up exactly as it should in my Kindle app! Haha ... It's quite the process, but in the end, it's worth it to get the exact result I was looking for. Maybe I'm a little OCD with how I like my notes displayed lol. Thank you all so so much!
    08-16-14 06:15 PM