It says android apps will have camera accsess... So could this mean sideloaded skype/3rd party vid chat apps will start working
    07-25-12 02:14 PM
    It says android apps will have camera accsess... So could this mean sideloaded skype/3rd party vid chat apps will start working
    NOPE... Devs have been trying without success! And plus a Skype app is being built into the PB
    07-25-12 02:25 PM
    ohh okay,noticed that vidchat works with 4g now, (3g in uk) could this start working with bridge? or isit pb4g only?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    07-25-12 02:27 PM
    probably only with the 4G as the bridge with only BT2.0 specs allows for very low amount of data transfer. Hence why you can't use Appworld when being bridged.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    07-25-12 02:30 PM
    NOPE... Devs have been trying without success! And plus a Skype app is being built into the PB
    Care to let us know your sources on this?
    07-25-12 02:30 PM
    Care to let us know your sources on this?
    Ya, my friend who works at RIM in Waterloo who is a Network Engineer who is testing out apps that run on the NOC and Skype is one of the apps. It's being done in Cascade and that's why there is a huge delay. Don't hold your breath though, a skype app will NOT be coming out until BB10 software is available for the PB.
    07-25-12 02:33 PM
    Ya, my friend who works at RIM in Waterloo who is a Network Engineer who is testing out apps that run on the NOC and Skype is one of the apps. It's being done in Cascade and that's why there is a huge delay. Don't hold your breath though, a skype app will NOT be coming out until BB10 software is available for the PB.
    I sure hope your source is right..............could care less about Netflix, but Skype would sure be handy as my wife is one of those Iphone people!
    07-25-12 02:43 PM
    I sure hope your source is right..............could care less about Netflix, but Skype would sure be handy as my wife is one of those Iphone people!
    time for a new wife

J/K my wife has an ipod lil ting like a book of matches
    07-25-12 02:53 PM
    Hmm. OK. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (but I am not taking this serious. Nothing personal. I never do with the "I have a friend who works ar RIM" stuff).

I do hope it is so, though.
    07-25-12 02:55 PM
    thanks for the reply quicksilver

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    07-25-12 03:31 PM
    time for a new wife

J/K my wife has an ipod lil ting like a book of matches
    A new wife could cost less than a new phone at todays prices
    07-25-12 03:39 PM
    The new features are just for PlayBook 4G? I dont mean the ones using 4G
    07-25-12 04:01 PM
    Nope. Features will work based on hardware/software availability. Most of the stuff will work on both devices.
    07-25-12 04:05 PM
    No, The Wi-fi Playbooks will also be getting the update to 2.1. Only features concerning cellular data are specific to the 4G models. Also "Out of the box" 4G playbooks wont need to connect to wifi or do an update prior to initial boot, though it is still applicable to wifi models.
    07-25-12 04:13 PM
    what about TRU that everyone seems to be talking about for BB10?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    jononku likes this.
    07-25-12 04:37 PM
    Isn't it you that's been saying for months that Skype will be built into the video chat by fall?
    07-25-12 04:49 PM
    No,

We've had the PlayBook OS 2.1 Beta since the end of May,

Apps like Skype use native code for accessing the camera, the Android Runtime the PlayBook/Dev Alpha uses does not have this capability.
    07-25-12 05:05 PM
    Here we go again. Folks should only purchase the pb if it does right now what you want. Promises of what will even be in 2.1 never mind BB10 are not worth the electrons they are transmitted with.

Do not rely on any of this crap. Maybe the stuff will come, maybe some of it will come and maybe none of it will come. And certainly don't rely on it coming anytime soon.
    KermEd, Hgouck and JeepBB like this.
    07-25-12 08:00 PM
    Calm down f2, this is not the usually 'i want skype and i want it now!!!!' post, simple question about bridge capabilities and sideload camera abilities
    07-25-12 08:11 PM
    FWIW, running the beta OS 2.1, some sideloaded android apps really do have access to the PB cameras, both front and rear, and the video functions as well.
    07-25-12 08:24 PM
    FWIW, running the beta OS 2.1, some sideloaded android apps really do have access to the PB cameras, both front and rear, and the video functions as well.
    This is correct, although with the implementation not all Android apps can access the camera. Although I will say the Android Runtime is improving greatly. The BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha has a later version of the runtime (even later than PlayBook OS 2.1 Beta) which makes Android apps seem amazingly smooth, pretty much on par with native apps.
    FreeJACLive likes this.
    07-25-12 08:52 PM
    Yes camera access is there for android player in 2.1.. Been there in the beta too..
    However Skype for android will not work on PB cos they use native libraries which are not supported afaik the player can use only Dalvik apis..
    However we can always cross fingers for a native port by Skype themselves..
    07-25-12 08:58 PM
    Didn't the dev tools recently get updated too? Maybe if you have 2.1 on your device, a newly-converted Android app (with updated tools) might allow some apps that didn't previously work.
    07-26-12 12:05 AM
    So when is it released.
    07-26-12 05:01 PM
    Kb5zht - As i said in op i think it will probably roll out with the release of the PB4G
    07-26-12 05:07 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD