01-16-12 04:49 PM
63 123
tools
    RIM also never showed OS1 in portrait mode till later in it's development. Even though they are employees and at CES, doesn't mean they are running the latest build.
    It's still a possible red herring. As you said, portrait mode wasn't working when the PB was shown off in the lead up to the launch and the picture app ended up launching without portrait mode. I think they'll get it all working before it launches, but it's something to keep in mind.
    01-15-12 07:13 PM
    RIM also never showed OS1 in portrait mode till later in it's development. Even though they are employees and at CES, doesn't mean they are running the latest build.
    But were they asked to show it in portrait mode and didn't? I mean, just because they didn't show it does not mean it was not working. Here, we clearly see the apps are not working is portrait.
    01-15-12 07:18 PM
    Here, we clearly see the apps are not working is portrait.
    Yes, what we saw wasn't working in portrait mode. It doesn't mean they don't have other builds that do have portrait mode mostly working.

All it would take is a single little glitch with something, or one small bit that they knew they would want to demo but which looked a bit ugly, and a product manager would have been able to say "please disable portrait mode for the show, we can't show it like this yet".
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-15-12 07:21 PM
    But were they asked to show it in portrait mode and didn't? I mean, just because they didn't show it does not mean it was not working. Here, we clearly see the apps are not working is portrait.
    I don't believe they were asked, but I remember videos from 2011 CES of consumers not being able to get into portrait mode and then having RIM employees explain that it wasn't part of the build on display.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-15-12 07:47 PM
    Yes, what we saw wasn't working in portrait mode. It doesn't mean they don't have other builds that do have portrait mode mostly working.

All it would take is a single little glitch with something, or one small bit that they knew they would want to demo but which looked a bit ugly, and a product manager would have been able to say "please disable portrait mode for the show, we can't show it like this yet".
    Well, you could also say, "Hey, let's make sure portrait mode works in case we get called out on it" should have been the goal. Obviously, OS2 is a month away, but like I said, we saw this before back in March where portrait mode didn't work in the lead up to launch. We got the same excuse about it being an early build and so forth. So while it's probably not something to be overly concerned about, I'm in "Fool me once..." mode until I see it working.
    01-15-12 08:04 PM
    That was freaking awesome! I sincerely hope BB releases build 2.0 in Feb. To quote Bart Scott "Can't Wait!"
    01-15-12 08:10 PM
    Can't wait, RIM! Please surprise us! (hoping for an early release!!).
    01-15-12 08:13 PM
    I love my Playbook that much more now. I can't wait for 2.0
    01-15-12 08:46 PM
    Thanks Iilya!! Awesome first post too! You're already on the topped thanked poster!
    01-15-12 09:52 PM
    i would have simultaneously shown off the 9900 using 7.1's mobile hotspot feature to fix that problem with wifi during the playbook native calendar feature demo

the entire time, i would have been using the 9900's mobile hotspot, just for fun - because it's so rad!!! lol

it would have worked just fine, together with the bluetooth remote app. i know because i use bluetooth (bridge browser) simultaneously with my mobile hotspot feature on the 9810 all day with my playbiggidy, ummm i mean playbook
    Last edited by buckwylder; 01-15-12 at 10:04 PM.
    01-15-12 10:00 PM
    Can't wait! Will the new bridge function work with the 9810?
    01-15-12 10:10 PM
    I've been very critical of my PB since the first day i bought it at 8 am on the day it was released due to lack of email and calendar and all the delays. I watched the video and its amazing. If BB had actually been smart about this and released a fully functional tablet (i'm sorry you two dozen that love bridge, i'm talking about the general populace including reviewers etc that want email natively) i can guarantee this would have won the critics over and would have been neck and neck with the iPad in terms of performance and the polish of the OS. yes, i'm sure it would still get bashed for lack of apps, but that would be just one ding, not 20. Plus people don't see mto complain THAT much about lack of useful apps on BB, so i'm sure the intended target of RIM might not even have been that into millions of apps.

nonetheless, very excited about this, only wish RIM had actually either waited to release the tablet, or managed to somehow actually meet their deadline of releasing native email and they wouldn't have been in the tailspin they're in. I just hope this is able to salvage some of RIMS reputation but its going ton e an uphill battle.
    jimbo_hippo likes this.
    01-15-12 11:09 PM
    Im just ready for 2.0!!!!!! Cmooooonnnnn FEBRUARY!!!
    01-15-12 11:57 PM
    The autocorrect is a huge plus!

When OS 2.0 does finally come out, perhaps Crackberry can do another "full" review of the Playbook as well as the new software that comes with it.

I would imagine the Crackberry team doing a great job summarizing and giving tips on what's new and improved with the Playbook instead of simply saying something like, "new e-mail native app"
    01-16-12 12:35 AM
    The autocorrect is a huge plus!
    I love how RIM went a step further with auto-suggest (predictive text) and automatic apostrophes for contractions. Great job.

If the whole Playbook thing does not die with Playbook 1, I know my next tablet will also be a Playbook (2 or 3).
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-16-12 at 01:12 AM.
    01-16-12 01:01 AM
    Awesome video, im really looking forward to the email, calendar and contacts... that will seriously improve my working life.

i love the fact that auto correct and predictive text is there too, great feature and it should shut up the nay sayers for a bit
    What is far worse than the Naysayers are the Yaysayers... while it is tiring to hear the same (valid) points repeated about the Playbooks shortcomings, at least most of of the naysayers reasoning is based on logic as opposed to the strange defensive logic of the people who seem to be dedicated to pretending those problems don't exist, or that they somehow don't matter.
    kennyliu and Send Again like this.
    01-16-12 03:30 AM
    Seeing that LED notification blinking.... priceless.
    Great isn't it?!

I love my playbook now- but when this comes out it is going to be like a brand new tablet. I am definitely looking forward to this!
    I was actually thinking about leaving mine the way it is because I love it as is, but the more I see of OS 2.0 the more I look forward to updating
    01-16-12 03:36 AM
    Great isn't it?!

I was actually thinking about leaving mine the way it is because I love it as is, but the more I see of OS 2.0 the more I look forward to updating
    You were thinking of, erm, NOT upgrading to the latest Super OS for your tablet that massively increases functionality? Okayyyyyy... *backs away slowly*
    01-16-12 03:44 AM
    Good Video.

Can you print from the PlayBook?
    Can you email a photo from the Gallery? or Document for that matter.
    Can you put your photos in folders?
    When I use bridge to attach a photo it doesnt display the folders I create via the PC, does it now?
    Simple editing e.g. crop, resize, etc?
    Folders for Videos? Tv Shows with lots of episodes get mixed in with movies.

On another note, could they just release a PlayBook without a screen and call it a BlackBerry TV (aka Cyclone / Apple TV). Now that the BB Phone can be used as a remote we're set.

:-)
    01-16-12 04:56 AM
    A comment on the disabled OS features for the demo. I'm not overly concerned as I would think that any beta software must have some functionality disabled to dissuade piracy or back engineering.

I am puzzled on the wifi cutting out early in the calendar demo though. It looked to me like the Calendar will only be fully functional on the tablet with a wifi connection.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    01-16-12 05:40 AM
    Well of course they will have portrait mode available at some point, but the important thing to catch from this is that 2.0 isnt ready... I safely say that portrait mide is a key feature and like 1.0 it wont be released until it it implemented. So... we must prepare ourselves once again for the dreaded "d" word (delay) from RIM. An OS missing a key feature like that may be an OS that cant possible be user-ready 30-45 days from now.

Something else I want to highlight around 17:00, regarding the android integration...

Q:"What about paid android apps?"

A:"Um....er.....uh... gotta ask..... not sure.... working with.... um......"
    01-16-12 05:43 AM
    Well of course they will have portrait mode available at some point, but the important thing to catch from this is that 2.0 isnt ready... I safely say that portrait mide is a key feature and like 1.0 it wont be released until it it implemented. So... we must prepare ourselves once again for the dreaded "d" word (delay) from RIM. An OS missing a key feature like that may be an OS that cant possible be user-ready 30-45 days from now.

Something else I want to highlight around 17:00, regarding the android integration...

Q:"What about paid android apps?"

A:"Um....er.....uh... gotta ask..... not sure.... working with.... um......"
    At least you say "may be" it can't be ready, otherwise I might have thought you were just stirring the pot... but you wouldn't do that! Hold on, I've got the OS 2.0 beta that was released late last year and it didn't even have an early version of the PIM apps, so there is no way they will be ready in Feb!!

p.s. there are already paid Android apps in App World

p.p.s. I wrote this in portrait mode in OS 2.0 beta

p.p.p.s. Oh, I just got it, they can turn things off and on in different builds!
    01-16-12 06:27 AM
    I love how RIM went a step further with auto-suggest (predictive text) and automatic apostrophes for contractions. Great job.
    I think a lot of people will really enjoy the predictive text feature. Android has a keyboard called Swiftkey, and it uses the same prediction technology, and it's a very popular keyboard.

Overall, even I gotta say, OS 2.0 is looking very good so far!
    01-16-12 10:37 AM
    I think a lot of people will really enjoy the predictive text feature. Android has a keyboard called Swiftkey, and it uses the same prediction technology, and it's a very popular keyboard.

Overall, even I gotta say, OS 2.0 is looking very good so far!
    Will there be a possibility to develop and install new (third-party) keyboards do you think, same as like on Android?
    01-16-12 10:55 AM
    Cool deal but my thoughts oare in this post >>>

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post7035940
    01-16-12 11:04 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD