10-15-13 02:47 PM
29 12
tools
    I have an internal network running Debian GNU/Linux on two physical servers hosting almost twenty virtualized instances of Debian GNU/Linux plus a few physical computers (notebooks and desktops). My BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry Z10 connect flawlessly to the internal network. By the way, the domain name ends with .tld although if I had a Microsoft Windows domain the name would end with .local per Microsoft's enforced naming policy. I have never had to toggle the WiFi activation on the tablet since purchase in April 2011. I run a few virtualized instances of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium without incident.
    According to the thread pointed to in post no. 18 in this thread, the problem only arose after a BB OS update, so that raises one obvious question.

I still believe that the main point is that Playbooks screw up the simple networking as set up by Microsoft as their default, and the settings on the Playbook are not accessible to remedy this.
    10-15-13 08:52 AM
    According to the thread pointed to in post no. 18 in this thread, the problem only arose after a BB OS update, so that raises one obvious question.

I still believe that the main point is that Playbooks screw up the simple networking as set up by Microsoft as their default, and the settings on the Playbook are not accessible to remedy this.
    PlayBooks run some version of SAMBA if WiFi file sharing is turned on. If that was more exposed / hackable, you could probably tweak the OS level parameter in the smb.conf file that would probably have quite a bearing, here (maybe the odd other parameter, too) - but seeing as that's quite unlikely, you're only other option, is to not rely on broadcast means for name resolution, or has been mentioned more than once, fix it so dedicated, non-PlayBook machines win elections.
    10-15-13 09:12 AM

What is this obvious question?
    Do you think Blackberry is going to fix this issue in some upcoming service release?

Networking and dns-mmlseanasthecluefairy.jpg
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 10-15-13 at 11:52 AM.
    10-15-13 10:21 AM
    Maybe this will work...
    Turn off you samba server and use "Net Shares File Explorer".
    Its a samba client that is available in the app store.

Bonus it also streams video.
    10-15-13 02:47 PM
29 12