I can believe this.
    Numerous sources say RIM developed a Skype application as well, which was not deployed because RIM didn't want it released so as not to offend their carrier partners.
    The Skype campaign seems to have targeted the wrong people.
    RIM are holding all these programs back, who knows why.
    But they are.
    The only way to get MAJOR apps onto the system is to bug RIM about it, no one is doing it and they seem to be in cloud cuckoo land.
    Exactly man. The developer for the App is RIM, it is thus, up to them. They need to make the damn thing work and pass the quality testing from Netflix to sign off on it as well. Done is done. This WILL get made and published but we need to do this:
    - Continue to tell Netflix we love them and need an App for playbook. This is necessary, as they will try to push RIM as well and push over customers complaints. Maybe, just maybe, we can convince Netflix to develop the app if we scare them enough!
    - The key: Call every RIM # you can think of and complain HARD. Tell them we know they are holding back the App and to get serious about it. Tell them we will drop their products regretfully, for being so damn behind the curb lately.

Now, I understand RIM has bigger fish to fry, but seriously, there is HUGE demand for this App. I would sacrifice 5000 android apps being converted for 1 netflix app. Why? Because the damn playbook is sexy and every website besides netflix works! Who needs an app when the experience is just as good as the PC with the flash support and all!
    02-24-12 01:02 PM
    No, there is nothing fishy going on. You use a device that is not on their radar and the number of subscribers and/or potential subscribers does not justify their much more than one week of programming time and then ongoing need to support. The Android app did not work on quite a few Android devices when released and took quite a while to appear in the market place. People need to drop the conspiracy stuff and look in the right direction of they want a solution to this sort of issue. Ask RIM why its full web experience does not support Silverlight. It is not that complicated a plugin and is certainly more secure than Flash....
    Netflix's mobile app is built in HTML5. TI OMAP4 which is used in Playbook is the first to be Awarded Netflix HD DRM Certification. And there is no reason Netflix can't support...and the work involved in porting the HTML5 code could be few days if not hours.
    02-24-12 01:10 PM
    Stupid question. But cant we just sign onto the NF website and launch the movie from there? Doesn't it use Adobe Flash Player or something? Other videos work, why not netflix? Is it a special player? I have a NF membership, but I don't watch it on PC that much and I left my PB at home, so I can't try it right now.
    02-24-12 01:23 PM
    Exactly man. The developer for the App is RIM, it is thus, up to them. They need to make the damn thing work and pass the quality testing from Netflix to sign off on it as well. Done is done. This WILL get made and published but we need to do this:
    - Continue to tell Netflix we love them and need an App for playbook. This is necessary, as they will try to push RIM as well and push over customers complaints. Maybe, just maybe, we can convince Netflix to develop the app if we scare them enough!
    - The key: Call every RIM # you can think of and complain HARD. Tell them we know they are holding back the App and to get serious about it. Tell them we will drop their products regretfully, for being so damn behind the curb lately.

Now, I understand RIM has bigger fish to fry, but seriously, there is HUGE demand for this App. I would sacrifice 5000 android apps being converted for 1 netflix app. Why? Because the damn playbook is sexy and every website besides netflix works! Who needs an app when the experience is just as good as the PC with the flash support and all!
    So you think spamming a company is good practice? Wow.... RIM WILL NOT LISTEN!!!

Same thing with Skype, it is NOT on their agenda, they KNOW there is a minority of people chirping, but they really don't have it on the agenda to make or release anything. My friend is a network developer who works closely with the app guys, and they are being told NO NETFLIX and NO SKYPE!
    02-24-12 01:51 PM
    Guys, RIM wants the Playbook to do well, but it is a developers of the COMPANIES that are not willing to work with RIM.

Skype has its deal with Verizon US for Blackberry products and as far as netflix, NO ONE really cares.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-24-12 01:54 PM
    If this is RIMS fault it is inexcusiable.
    02-24-12 02:02 PM
    BB/RIM offers a videostore now, via a partner? Rovi?

RIM has the final word in approving any official APP for playbook and it's APPWorld.

I think cost of developing an App by Netflix is one thing.........and maybe coming to financial terms between RIM and Netflix is another.
    FYI, Rovi is not available in Canada. The application won't let us access the video content on Rovi.

Once RIM gets healthy again they should buy Netflix and push them to release Netflix for Playbook.

I am not a member of Netflix myself, but I am sure if RIM really wanted it on their Playbook they could hire someone to port it if Netflix won't. I am sure Netflix didn't write the code for Western Digital's media device.

A.
    02-24-12 02:43 PM
    here is something i posted in one of the other 10 netflix threads started in the last two days... there should be some sort of function on this site that allows members to see if THE EXACT same thread has already been made... that would be a good function... /sarcasm

That is true, but we wont know until we try.

Personally I am amazed at how a company would just ignore all the users asking for this. OK, lets say there are only A MILLION PBs out there...there are A LOT of BBs and why would they not want the app on the BB?

just thought of this...

CHECK THIS OUT!

BBM Subscribers = 42 MILLION
    Population of Canada = 32 MILLION

CANADA has netflix subscriptions but NOT ALL 32 Million of us have netflix ready devices

DO THE MATH...
    02-24-12 03:01 PM
    This may have something to do with it:

"Netflix shares down sharply after analyst downgrade"

Netflix shares down sharply after analyst downgrade - The Globe and Mail
    02-24-12 03:44 PM
    This may have something to do with it:

"Netflix shares down sharply after analyst downgrade"

Netflix shares down sharply after analyst downgrade - The Globe and Mail
    This has nothing to do with it. 5 months after the article, Netflix stock went up. Regardless.....Playbook/BB has been out longer than tons of others devices that have Netflix....and all the top Apps are still not on Playbook at all.
    02-24-12 08:06 PM
    Two companies, both international, both with a user base in which users complain of a lack of quality available content... hmmmm!! Go figure. Seems to me they should be walking hand in hand. The one is as guilty as the other.
    02-24-12 08:35 PM
    I believe there are a few lessons to be learned by RIMM
    1. apple vs micrsoft - microsoft went open source so-to-speak and let games and apps flood its platform. apple charges all developers and have thousand dollars applications,, Microsoft became the biggest and Bill became very rich.
    2. apple vs all others - USB and firewire, steve jobs wanted a fee fir firewire monopoly. then USB became the standard since its free
    3. apple vs android - Android practically give everything for free so it beats all other platform in 1-2 years.
    4. facebook vs all others - facebook include free "apps" then everything is history(frientster?, myspace anyone?)
    5. RIMM vs itself - If rimm doesnt wake up and introduce apps for the masses cheaply, it will sacrifice its main income, hardware sales.

Learn from Microsoft, Learn from Apple who were beat up earlier and came back with the same strategy for a succesful platform/OS (cheap/free apps for the masses). dont try to get revenue from apps, but from hardware sales instead which is wheren 80pc of RIMM's profit come from anyway.
    monopoly will not work. learn or perish.
    02-24-12 09:08 PM
    Struggling to understand why can't RIM just convert the Netflix APK that android phones use, and port it over to a BAR and introduce it to the App World?

Am I missing something?
    02-27-12 01:15 PM
    Struggling to understand why can't RIM just convert the Netflix APK that android phones use, and port it over to a BAR and introduce it to the App World?

Am I missing something?
    Because that would not be legal. The creator of the app has to convert it and submit it to app world.
    02-27-12 01:18 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD