BB/RIM offers a videostore now, via a partner? Rovi?

RIM has the final word in approving any official APP for playbook and it's APPWorld.

I think cost of developing an App by Netflix is one thing.........and maybe coming to financial terms between RIM and Netflix is another.
    02-24-12 08:15 AM
    PS Vita has an app at launch? Every video game console has a dedicated Netflix app? Android and iOS have it and I am not sure if Windows phones have it? Would it really be that difficult to port an Android app? RIM needs to make it happen.

Just think of plugging your PB into a HDTV with an HDMI cord and using a BB to bridge remote control function and streaming Netflix, Hulu, or any other popular media site or app? PB would make iPad look tame by comparison as a media device!!! But RIM is blowing it... again!!!
    02-24-12 08:19 AM
    I have netflix on my Wii and on my iPad, when i first got it i was fascinated by it. i thought it was the most wonderful invention known to man. however.. i got bored of it. Nothing i fancied watching, like the big bang theory, or House, was available to watch because WB dont like the concept of a system that renders piracy null and void. if Netflix took off big time and had pretty much everything, who would WB have to sue? the limits imposed made the choice pretty limited, so now i have watched everything i want to, and so it doesnt bother me not having it on my PB.

i think Netflix does need to get its priority's in order, and get regular, new, popular content, come to some sort of agreement with WB, and then... once its actually worth spending money on, then we fight for the PB app.
    app_Developer and shemaree09 like this.
    02-24-12 08:25 AM
    BB/RIM offers a videostore now, via a partner? Rovi?

RIM has the final word in approving any official APP for playbook and it's APPWorld.

I think cost of developing an App by Netflix is one thing.........and maybe coming to financial terms between RIM and Netflix is another.
    I think your theory was not worth yet another thread on this subject. Besides, the iPad has iTunes video, and the Kindle Fire has Amazon video, and both have the Netflix app.
    cdelcampo216 and PatrickMJS like this.
    02-24-12 08:26 AM
    I would just like to add that the Netflix app for android was junk at least when I tried it 3 months ago.
    02-24-12 08:29 AM
    Why can't people just accept the fact that its NOT coming and drop it? People are going to be surprised when the same bomb drops about Skype....
    02-24-12 08:42 AM
    Why can't people just accept the fact that its NOT coming and drop it? People are going to be surprised when the same bomb drops about Skype....
    I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THE SAAAAAMMMEEE THING REGARDING SKYPE.

Just accept it and move on. The PlayBook and it's app selection won't be 100% to your liking, but it's pretty d@m close
    02-24-12 08:52 AM
    Because they are on their way down the tubes! The movie selection is garbage it takes hours to find one or two good movies.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    02-24-12 09:08 AM
    and maybe coming to financial terms between RIM and Netflix is another.
    There are no "financial terms" between Netflix and RIM, just like there aren't any between Netflix and Apple (Netflix does not sell subscriptions through its app, so no app revenue to be split). Netflix codes an app, makes it available, customers use it. That's the entire transaction for Apple, and would/will be the same for RIM.
    02-24-12 09:15 AM
    It sucks, but at this point if we don't have Netflxi and Skype, we probably never will.
    mccants89 and Willard814 like this.
    02-24-12 09:23 AM
    PS Vita has an app at launch? Every video game console has a dedicated Netflix app? Android and iOS have it and I am not sure if Windows phones have it? Would it really be that difficult to port an Android app? RIM needs to make it happen.

Just think of plugging your PB into a HDTV with an HDMI cord and using a BB to bridge remote control function and streaming Netflix, Hulu, or any other popular media site or app? PB would make iPad look tame by comparison as a media device!!! But RIM is blowing it... again!!!
    Yeap, Windows Phone shipped with Netflix. Runs great on my HD7. Not sure why it's not be released on Blackberry when just about every other device imaginable has it.
    02-24-12 09:32 AM
    Yeap, Windows Phone shipped with Netflix. Runs great on my HD7. Not sure why it's not be released on Blackberry when just about every other device imaginable has it.
    On WP7 does it use a native UI? It does on iOS and on PS3.

Maybe the Netflix team doesn't want to use Air, and would prefer to use a native UI kit when RIM makes that available.
    02-24-12 09:42 AM
    There's something fishy going on. We all know it.

Why won't Netflix spend a week's worth of time on Netflix for PB? I don't know...

What we need to do is find a Netflix 1.0 Android APK (way before they added fancy crap). Perhaps the 1.0 APK might help us out.
    02-24-12 10:12 AM
    whether you like netflix or not, the point is that it seems to be on EVERY other device so why not the PB??? Recently I bought a WDTV media player (by Western Digital), it was $89 and it has a netflix app on it. Grrrrr....
    02-24-12 10:18 AM
    There's something fishy going on. We all know it.

Why won't Netflix spend a week's worth of time on Netflix for PB? I don't know...

What we need to do is find a Netflix 1.0 Android APK (way before they added fancy crap). Perhaps the 1.0 APK might help us out.
    No, there is nothing fishy going on. You use a device that is not on their radar and the number of subscribers and/or potential subscribers does not justify their much more than one week of programming time and then ongoing need to support. The Android app did not work on quite a few Android devices when released and took quite a while to appear in the market place. People need to drop the conspiracy stuff and look in the right direction of they want a solution to this sort of issue. Ask RIM why its full web experience does not support Silverlight. It is not that complicated a plugin and is certainly more secure than Flash....
    02-24-12 10:57 AM
    whether you like netflix or not, the point is that it seems to be on EVERY other device so why not the PB??? Recently I bought a WDTV media player (by Western Digital), it was $89 and it has a netflix app on it. Grrrrr....
    Probably because they paid Netflix to develop a native app and RIM hasn't....
    02-24-12 10:58 AM
    Does anyone know how this whole process works? Too much speculation going on when nobody really knows how these decisions on what devices to support are made. Is it up to Netflix, does RIM have to pay them? A good comparison is Vita had it at launch why not PB? or at the very least why not for OS2.0?
    02-24-12 11:04 AM
    There are no "financial terms" between Netflix and RIM, just like there aren't any between Netflix and Apple (Netflix does not sell subscriptions through its app, so no app revenue to be split). Netflix codes an app, makes it available, customers use it. That's the entire transaction for Apple, and would/will be the same for RIM.
    Actually, I am pretty sure that neither Netflix nor Microsoft denied the fact that they cut a deal to have a Netflix app available for Windows Phone 7 on release. Of course there are financial terms if one wants a new or proprietary platform to have a Netflix app. If RIM wants it, they cut a finiancial deal with Netflix for them to develop it. Alternatively, they could just support Silverlight and there would be no need for the discussion....
    02-24-12 11:05 AM
    All of those asking for a silverlight plugin need to remember what happened with Hulu. Who is to say that Netflix wouldn't just block the PlayBook if we were given a Silverlight Plugin? Hulu did it to us on some BS argument that they aren't allowed to stream to portable devices under their contract. Like the OS determines whether or not it is portable. So - If Blackberry made a TV with QNX, it wouldn't play hulu movies in the browser because it is portable.
    02-24-12 11:13 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Got in touch with someone at Netflix today who was very helpful and gave me the lowdown:

Netflix has not created ANY APPS nor ever will. They are made by other companies to put on their devices to make the devices more sell-able. Obviously, there is money to be made for Netflix too, so they always do their best to help the 3rd parties where they can. The Netflix person I spoke to said he is logging MULTIPLE playbook requests made everyday and they are continously being compiled and sent to BlackBerry to show - hey look, your playbook users really want netflix and in some cases they are ready to drop playbooks and switch to devices that do have the app.

There is progress. He said the APP was supposed to go out with OS2, but BlackBerry developers who made the APP actually had it fail quality testing at the actual playback part. There is bugs with playing the actual videos, and the rest of the service was fairly flawless on the App. So the App is now back with the developers and should be ready in the near future - but it is all up to BlackBerry's team that is working on the App.

Please keep calling NetFlix Support and BlackBerry Support and voice your concerns strongly. This stuff does make it's way up the chain, trust me, I work in support at IBM.
    bobauckland and jonty12 like this.
    02-24-12 12:37 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Got in touch with someone at Netflix today who was very helpful and gave me the lowdown:

Netflix has not created ANY APPS nor ever will. They are made by other companies to put on their devices to make the devices more sell-able. Obviously, there is money to be made for Netflix too, so they always do their best to help the 3rd parties where they can. The Netflix person I spoke to said he is logging MULTIPLE playbook requests made everyday and they are continously being compiled and sent to BlackBerry to show - hey look, your playbook users really want netflix and in some cases they are ready to drop playbooks and switch to devices that do have the app.

There is progress. He said the APP was supposed to go out with OS2, but BlackBerry developers who made the APP actually had it fail quality testing at the actual playback part. There is bugs with playing the actual videos, and the rest of the service was fairly flawless on the App. So the App is now back with the developers and should be ready in the near future - but it is all up to BlackBerry's team that is working on the App.

Please keep calling NetFlix Support and BlackBerry Support and voice your concerns strongly. This stuff does make it's way up the chain, trust me, I work in support at IBM.
    I know this is your first post, but I want to believe this is true. I actually can believe that it's true, and the tweet from Netflix CS was just that of an uninformed lackey.
    02-24-12 12:42 PM
    I spent 15mins joining after ending the call just to contribute here... been a lurker far too long to sit on the sidelines. I want to support BlackBerry, I'm a fellow Canadian too.

Everything I posted is 100% true and was said on the call. Now, I bet if we call RIM Support they may have their own grievances to pin on Netflix!
    02-24-12 12:45 PM
    hmmm, so the solution is to just SPAM netflix and RIM like a lot of people did for the Skype campaign? It's not going to work... the more people SPAM, and call or tweet ALL at once, it goes unheard.... Give it up, Netflix is a loosing company, worse off than RIM.

The selection is horrible (and that is putting it on the high end of horrible) and the fact that their business model is completely flawed, makes sense for RIM NOT to have a Netflix app...
    02-24-12 12:48 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I can believe this.
    Numerous sources say RIM developed a Skype application as well, which was not deployed because RIM didn't want it released so as not to offend their carrier partners.
    The Skype campaign seems to have targeted the wrong people.
    RIM are holding all these programs back, who knows why.
    But they are.
    The only way to get MAJOR apps onto the system is to bug RIM about it, no one is doing it and they seem to be in cloud cuckoo land.
    Turbinator likes this.
    02-24-12 12:56 PM
    Netflix are just being douchebags.
    02-24-12 12:59 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD