RIM can intend to do whatever it wants. BB10, 20, who cares except us nerds. Customers could care less about whats intended or coming. People buy stuff to use, not to wait! BB is playing catchup, they need to RUN ALL OUT like Forrest Gump right now, not take baby steps. After MWC. new 7 inch tablets will be coming out with similar if not better hardware. Two tablets with the same hardware, one has all the apps you want. Which one would you buy?
    03-01-12 01:32 PM
    I agree with u guys as much as I love RIM they are still far behind in the Apps dept. They need the Big apps asap. Here in U.S it's all about apps. Remove Skype,Netflix,Tango and 5 other Major apps from the iPad2 and put them on the Playbook and watch how many people will switch.
    03-01-12 01:47 PM
    Well, as far as SKYPE is concerned... I sure hope you're right. I don't really care about Netflix, because I am using my Amazon Prime which works fine on the PB.
    03-01-12 01:49 PM
    Has anyone stopped and wondered why Skype and Netflix are not going to be on the Playbook?

It has nothing to do with the companies not wanting to develop, everyone knows RIM is behind the 8 ball, and they are taking a different approach to becoming an innovative company again.

Why should customers use Netflix when RIM has a video service of its own that will be competing in a bigger market within 6months.

Skype... yes people use it, BUT what if you knew RIM's video conferencing would be able to connect with Skype customers in the near future? Do you still want the Skype app or the RIM app? The current video chat app shows who's using a playbook and is available for video chat. But what if in the background, RIM is silently parterning up with Skype to give them access to the SKYPE network on the current RIM video chat?

Why give credit to other companies for being innovative?

RIM Video chat will go above and beyond anyone else's vid chat client.

Video store will be competive and given the fact that Netflix announced yesterday they are dopping 1000's of movies and going more towards just tv shows, shows that RIM and Netflix might have known this before and that's why no Netflix app is being created.

Short term fix for now until the video chat is fully operational is using www.imo.im (and yes I know Jonty will pipe in and say that isn't acceptable, but you know what, there are reasons why Skype isn't being built as an App for the playbook, just need to be patient)

RIM wants to be the top innovator again. And they will get there, keep it in mind that there are certain reasons to why we have NOT seen apps from some major companies.
    This sounds like conspiracy theory at its best. I like the way you think, but have a critical problem with it, which I summarize with one question:

WHAT IS RIM'S CORE COMPETENCY?

My answer: It is NOT making applications. Yes, they developed BBM, but what else that is useful? They should focus on designing phones and an OS that are user friendly to both consumers and developers.

Cool, RIM wants to create a video chat program. GREAT. All the power to them. So according to your theory, WHY would they purposely prohibit other chat programs out there from the platform? That's like RIM saying Google chat, Beejive, MSN chat programs can't be on the Blackberry platforms because they compete with BBM. Does that make sense? At least GIVE US A CHOICE - if RIM's product is the best, then so be it - likely everyone will use it.

This approach is nonsensical and a terrible strategy in my opinion. RIM has to come to grips with what it is good at, and what it is not good at, and focus on those areas. Make good phones and an attractive OS - and allow developers to make apps for it and let competition drive app improvement. Competition is a good thing for users - users will flock toward those apps that are the best, and not use the ones that are the worst, which will maximize the consumer experience. Wouldn't that be a good thing?

As it relates to Skype - they have been singularly focused on Video chat for years. THAT is their core competency. Does RIM really think they are at that level yet? I have no problem with RIM wanting to develop this capability and knowledge, but think about it - Skype is the leader in this department. I liken it to China wanting to suddenly develop the BEST cars in the world, when they have no prior history or experience doing so. As a Chinese citizen who was seeking to buy the very best car possible, would you be happy if the Government disallowed ALL imports of foreign (german) cars and you could only buy Chinese-built cars?
    joski, CairnsRock and Harley Kid like this.
    03-01-12 01:55 PM
    Yeah... the theory on which it is all based makes no sense.

Making additional services (like BB Travel) is great. Thinking that they will replace what are essentially industry standards and make people switch is foolhardy at best.

I think CB Kev's theory makes the most sense: app ransoms are at play. In the mean time, RIM will develop content sources of its own to keep its existing customers somewhat happy.
    03-01-12 03:03 PM
    at this point it has become a point of contention for a lot of users to hear RIM say, yet again.. "Stay tuned"... people have been tuned, but now people are tuning out and moving on because going back to that choice thing.. if people can get what they want elsewhere, they will do so.
    Explain to me why so few people understand this?

When you compete in a race, the participant(s) falling behind dont get to tell the judge "Whoa, hold up there partner, you just wait and see how well I do, dont hand the person who crossed the finishing line first that trophy" because, sorry, thats the rules of the game... The ones that finish first win.

And yes this IS a competition. What do you think the marketplace is, but a competition where the consumer is the judge and their money is the trophy sought? The consumer has certainly moved on in the smartphone market except overseas where carriers dont subsidize costs visa vie contracts, so the low end curve outsells droids and iphones; look what people choose when the costs are equalized....

Point spot on Bla1ze. Dont tell us to wait anymore; the stockholders either (which I am one.) Go back to your cubicle, sit at your terminals and keep writing code and deliver.
    03-01-12 05:46 PM
    Explain to me why so few people understand this?

When you compete in a race, the participant(s) falling behind dont get to tell the judge "Whoa, hold up there partner, you just wait and see how well I do, dont hand the person who crossed the finishing line first that trophy" because, sorry, thats the rules of the game... The ones that finish first win.

And yes this IS a competition. What do you think the marketplace is, but a competition where the consumer is the judge and their money is the trophy sought? The consumer has certainly moved on in the smartphone market except overseas where carriers dont subsidize costs visa vie contracts, so the low end curve outsells droids and iphones; look what people choose when the costs are equalized....

Point spot on Bla1ze. Dont tell us to wait anymore; the stockholders either (which I am one.) Go back to your cubicle, sit at your terminals and keep writing code and deliver.
    I don't think it is fair to call the race over just yet. Do you? If the participants are permitted to call the end of the race, then RIM should have been allowed to end the race years ago. I think they sold their 50,000,000 device in April 2009. Maybe the race you speak of ended then.

I like to think of this race as still going, sure Apple won a few legs, and T.A.C. (The Android Collective) won a leg or two, but I also think RIM won their share too. IF RIM closes their doors, the other combatants can stand proudly over the vanquished foe. Until then, the race is still going.
    llllBULLSEYE and eternalemb like this.
    03-01-12 07:08 PM
    snip...Why should customers use Netflix when RIM has a video service of its own that will be competing in a bigger market within 6months.

...Video store will be competive and given the fact that Netflix announced yesterday they are dopping 1000's of movies and going more towards just tv shows, shows that RIM and Netflix might have known this before and that's why no Netflix app is being created.
    If the above were true, you would see this;
    Apple throws weight around in TV negotiations
    This article is about TV content and the source is trash, nevertheless RIM needs to get video content from somewhere, but as you can see this kind of information will not be kept secret. If RIM is trying to make deals for video content you would know.

Secondly, those who keep abreast with other news items already knew (Sept 1 2011) Netflix would be losing Starz last year.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03-02-12 at 08:26 AM.
    03-02-12 05:43 AM
    WHAT IS RIM'S CORE COMPETENCY?

My answer: It is NOT making applications.
    Not to sound like a smart behind...but, why do you think RIM bought a dozen companies over the last year and half that deal with app making?
    03-02-12 06:45 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD