Hey,

I am a long time BlackBerry user with the occasional device switch but seeing how I love blackberry, I always go back and buy whatever they have.

I am looking at a small all purpose tablet, seeing how I can install .BARS on my Z30/Q10/Z10/Q5, I was wondering if I can sideload a working version of Netflix on the PlayBook.
    03-17-14 07:04 AM
    Hey,

I am a long time BlackBerry user with the occasional device switch but seeing how I love blackberry, I always go back and buy whatever they have.

I am looking at a small all purpose tablet, seeing how I can install .BARS on my Z30/Q10/Z10/Q5, I was wondering if I can sideload a working version of Netflix on the PlayBook.
    Once you have the updated OS10, you should be able to load .apk files directly into your device. Now as to Netflix, android .apk should work.
    I haven't done it as the update has not rolled out on VZW for the Z30.......
    c
    EDIT, missread your post, thought it was for your handheld, not your PB.
    I/we were able to at least run Amazon Prime vids, but that has started to crumble. Even with Origami Browser...
    Butlike said below, No Netflix.....
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 03-17-14 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Missread post
    03-17-14 08:34 AM
    No sideload Netflix for the PlayBook available. There is an app for your PC called PlayOn and PlayLater. You can then stream to your PlayBook from your PC using PlayOn or download and put in your PlayBook later for later viewing using Playlater No WIFI or phone signal required for PlayLater MP4 files. You will need Media Connect App from BlackBerry World for the PlayOn streaming. Take a look at PlayOn online they have many channels as well as Netflix. This workaround to get Netflix in the PlayBook will probably set you back about 30, for a year with Apps and subscriptions.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-17-14 08:37 AM
    Bummer... sadly I won't have much of a purpose for the PlayBook if it won't run PlayBook and basic important apps...

Well, looks like I would look for an alternative..

Off topic but, I can't wait for the Q20.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 05:56 PM
    What about Flix? I just read you can watch NetFlix on Blackberry PlayBook with it. I haven't even actually gotten my PlayBook yet (it's due here on Friday), but I'm trying to learn as much as I can beforehand. One review says, "...install the app on your PC and playbook and install the computers IP address into the PB app and its good to go..." Granted you (apparently) can't watch NetFlix with Flix unless your PC is running, & the audio is only going to be working on the PlayBook while you're watching NetFlix, but none of that is a problem for me. I just want to know if this is correct information. ???
    05-06-14 09:50 PM
    [QUOTE=SulimanAlOmar;10130303]Bummer... sadly I won't have much of a purpose for the PlayBook if it won't run PlayBook and basic important apps...

Well, looks like I would look for an alternative.

Or----you could look for an android sideload called Showbox that has a better more up to date inventory of movies and tv shows than Netflix and is FREE. Video can be downloaded OR streamed live if you have a good connection (wifi). I consider this app a MUST on the my Playbook. Do a search on CB for this app there is a thread running somewhere..
    Carl Estes and Diana Graham like this.
    05-06-14 10:16 PM
    Seems to be a lot of playbook buying going on this week, just got mine as well. Im very happy with it but the lack of having an easy way to watch or buy a movie has been the most frustating department for me so far.

On a side note:
    I think peoples love of BB10 is pushing more people towards the playbook all the time even though it is now dated technology, I never considered a playbook before i saw how great of a media/user friendly device BlackBerry could make with my Z10, now I dont want to buy anything that isnt BlackBerry.

I think if BlackBerry wouldve released a tablet a year after BB10 it wouldve done much better sales wise than it did being released before BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 10:56 PM
    Or----you could look for an android sideload called Showbox that has a better more up to date inventory of movies and tv shows than Netflix and is FREE. Video can be downloaded OR streamed live if you have a good connection (wifi). I consider this app a MUST on the my Playbook. Do a search on CB for this app there is a thread running somewhere..
    I don't mean to be a party pooper, but is this a legal service where you won't be in violation of copyrights? Nothing like what you describe would ever be free unless there was a catch.
    05-06-14 11:11 PM
    I don't mean to be a party pooper, but is this a legal service where you won't be in violation of copyrights? Nothing like what you describe would ever be free unless there was a catch.
    That is correct. Showbox is not legal in any sense. If you'd like to stay on the right side of the law, then one will need an Android tablet or iPad and Netflix or similar streaming service.
    05-07-14 05:43 AM
    But...what about the app "Flix"? (Lookee Here: Flix) ???
    05-07-14 11:34 AM
    You should also be able to stream netflix using the app Splashtop. While it also requires your PC to be on with the streamer running to use, and while It's a few bucks more than Flix, it does not require that you be on the same network with your PC to use (as I believe flix does), and you can do a whole lot more than watch netflix on it. Both apps, I believe, require a reasonably up to date PC to function properly.
    05-07-14 12:26 PM
    Thanks. I'll check out Splashtop.
    05-07-14 01:02 PM
    Thank you guys but I'm afraid I'll pass.

PlayBook is severely dated and lack native apps that I need on a daily basis, Wordpress, Twitter and Netflix is one of them. I advice people to just get a Nexus 7 or iPad.

Posted via CB10 on my rocking Z30.
    05-12-14 09:27 AM
    Hi SulimanAIOmar,

Flix will work on your Playbook, together with Flix movieselector. I have been using it for a couple of months now and find it good enough. I do admit it is a bit of a hassle in the first place to get it up and running. And no, it will not work outside your house. Flix has to be installed on your computer and playbook. You start with the movieselector and then choose your movie or series you wanna watch. This is done from your Playbook, but your computer needs to be powered up. After choosing, the movieselector application will close and you can open the Flix application. It will then play your choice of film/series. Beside your computer you will need a Wifi network. Again I'm happy with it. Outside my house I use my Z30 for Netflix. I hope this helps a bit.
    05-17-14 02:18 AM
    I/we were able to at least run Amazon Prime vids, but that has started to crumble. Even with Origami Browser...
    Butlike said below, No Netflix.....
    Amazon Prime videos are still working for me in Origami Browser. Use desktop mode.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    05-17-14 09:12 AM
    Ahhh so their are people stuck in a time warp....carry on
    05-17-14 02:43 PM