I personally have little interest in Netflix but I know its important to so many others. I know that Netflix has been a little less than thoughtful in their responses to Playbook owners. Netflix has its own public relations problems and if memory serves me right they lost a boatload of customers in their last little fiasco.

That got me to thinking instead of pursuing Netflix how about pursuing Rivio (the BB Movie Store) to offer subscriptions. (The Netflix model). That gives Netflix competition, helps build the Rivio service and give Playbook owners a quality streaming video service. Rivio can always move the other way onto Android, and the a wider internet based subscription service.

Netflix may not respond to Playbook owners but added competition cannot be something they would like or need. just sayin....

John W.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-24-12 12:12 PM
    It's a good idea but they are two very different services. Streaming on a monthly involves much higher licensing fees which is why very few companies have tried to offer the service.

Netflix itself is losing over 1000 movies at the end of this month because of the battles with content providers.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-24-12 12:43 PM
    I hear what your saying but it's not that simple to startup a streaming service. Netflix has many agreements in place with movie/tv studios.
    02-24-12 12:44 PM
    There is little I know about the business part of this, but Rivio is already streaming movies or at least 'renting' them. So the technology is somewhat in place. Could they not have a subscription based on say 2 movies or similar rentals a week?

John W.
    02-24-12 12:50 PM
    There is little I know about the business part of this, but Rivio is already streaming movies or at least 'renting' them. So the technology is somewhat in place. Could they not have a subscription based on say 2 movies or similar rentals a week?

John W.
    It has to do with paying the content providers, not the streaming tech itself.

If you charge users a flat fee monthly, your income is different than if you charge per rental. The amount you agree to pay the content providers is also different because it's not per movie. Those type of agreements are HARD to make. Netflix has huge problems with that exact thing, a large part of the reason they lack new content.
    02-24-12 12:53 PM
    I think for RIM's video store to do well the prices need to come down to what you can go rent a movie for. I don't use netflix or any monthly subscription sites.
    02-24-12 12:59 PM
    Last thoughts on this topic, it does seem that Netflix in what I feel has been huge mis-steps with its customer base, and based on what I am hearing the content providers has created a competitive opportunity.

Anyway, my sole point was to work to support someone who already supports us rather than someone who has no interest (Netflix)... Maybe this whole RedBox - Verizon thing will become a viable alternative. RedBox is at least only a $1 per rental.
    02-24-12 12:59 PM
    I say...let the dices fall where they may, forgettaboutit, and just enjoy this wonderful tablet. The PlayBook is so much more than a couple of missing apps let it go
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-24-12 01:00 PM
    Well, to be honest this whole Netflix cancellation campaign is missing a crucial point. RIM should have been the one pushing for a Netflix app on their platform to make it more attractive. They had problems selling units because of a lack of mainstream applications, so their solution is to not push for any of those service providers to make them...

That makes no sense... Users threatening to quit the service doesn't fix that problem either. If you get a Netflix app eventually, congrats. But RIM did nothing different and will continue doing the same thing the next time around.
    02-24-12 01:01 PM
    Do we have to rely on Netflix to make clients?

I think Netflix provide APIs so that any developer can make apps to access the streams... (as long as Netflix guidelines are followed of course...)
    02-24-12 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD