03-06-13 07:25 PM
29 12
tools
    My wife watches netflix streamed movies on her ipad all the time.

I hear that bb10, when it comes to the playbook, will be able to render silverlight and other streamed formats due to html5 or whatever. Not sure on the details but I always take promises of things to come on blackberry devices with a grain of salt.

Wisely I keep a shakerful nearby these days.
    Neither of the things you just posted use Silverlight. Just because a device can stream Netflix does not mean it has Silverlight. Perhaps you are confusing Silverlight with DRM (Digital Rights Management). Silverlight can provide DRM, but it is not the only way to do so.

Silverlight ONLY works on x86 Intel based chips. It's the same reason Netflix won't work on a PowerPC based mac. but will work on other Mac products.
    03-03-13 01:26 PM
    That's cool but how about this hypothetical....
    ...You are in Florida and your PC is in Oregon.
    ...You are in a hotel with WIFI.

Can you watch Netflix on your Playbook in the Hotel room?
    With PlayOn I can. I can also watch Hulu, dozens of other channels and any of my own music or videos on my Media PC.

If you sign up and use their trial software, they will start sending you some great offers. I signed up for an offer of 6 months for between 5 and 15 dollars, I don't even recall it was so cheap. They have repeatedly sent offers for a lifetime license for 39.99.

In the 5 months I've had it, I think I've used it 2-3 times on my PlayBook. It actually gets more use from the PS3, but not for Netflix as it has an app already.
    03-03-13 01:34 PM
    Neither of the things you just posted use Silverlight. Just because a device can stream Netflix does not mean it has Silverlight. Perhaps you are confusing Silverlight with DRM (Digital Rights Management). Silverlight can provide DRM, but it is not the only way to do so.

Silverlight ONLY works on x86 Intel based chips. It's the same reason Netflix won't work on a PowerPC based mac. but will work on other Mac products.
    According to wikipedia Silverlight works on arm and s60 in addition to x86.
    03-04-13 07:10 AM
    Re: hotel + PC

I can stream Orb, PlayOn, Netflix etc from my home to my PB wherever I am. But you need to know how to open ports on your firewall.

PlayOn makes it easier - you have a URL to use.

via Tapatalk
    03-06-13 07:25 PM
29 12